Thoughs on AoA??

EEEBEE

Earning My Ears
Somewhat long story here....my family is planning a short three day, two night stay in late March, it will be DH, DS(8), DS(5), BIL and me. We originally had rooms booked at the Swan however when my BIL decided to join us on the trip we couldn't fit 5 in a room at the Swan. We tried to switch to the Dolphin because you can fit five in a room but long story short after multiple phone calls of getting different answers and all of the extra charges (resort fee, parking and rollway fee) we cancelled. We then looked at POR which is my favorite, but I fear that three adults and two kids in one room will be too cramped.

Currently we are booked at AoA in one of the Cars suites. We have stayed in the past at WL, POFQ, POR, Pop and All Star Sports. My two faves are WL and POR, I did not care at all for Pop and All Star (I know some people love the Values but the rooms just did not feel as comfortable to me). We plan on spending one day at the resort swimming and two days at the parks.

What are the thoughts from those who stayed at AoA?? The extra space should be great I am just nervous about another value. What are your thoughts? Is it a step up than a traditional value or just a value with bigger rooms? I am telling myself just deal with it....the extra space will be nice, the kids will love it an you're at Disney!!! I just need some extra convincing:)

We typically stay deluxe but opted for a couple of nights at AOA in a Nemo Suite this past April and we absolutely loved it! We are a family of 5 and quite enjoyed the extra space and having the two bathrooms. The Nemo building was close to the food court and main pool, so it was a great location. The food court had some decent selections. Of note, the buildings with the suites have inside corridors, which sets those apart from the typical value set up. DH and I had a queen size bed in the master suite and the master bathroom was nicely appointed.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, we really liked it! :)

We love AoA. Like Pop, it has a dedicated bus service - if you don't mind a 5 min walk, you can even use the Pop buses if you miss the AoA one.
The bus rides to MK and Epcot are short since they don't have many lights or stops.
The food court is very good for breakfast, better then most the rest of the day. You can't beat having two bathrooms with more than two adults (or two unrelated adults) in the room. And the theming is very nicely done. Stayed there on our last three trips. Would go back in a heartbeat.

AoA is a value resort, make no mistake. If you disliked the other values you have stayed at I have a hard time believing you will love AoA. It IS just bigger rooms at a value resort. What did you dislike about the values?

It's not just a bigger room. It has a queen bed not just a double plus the other two beds and two bathrooms. And it's an interior corridor of that matters to you, OP. Unless someone lucks upon getting two values side by side/connected, the suites at AoA have a lot of advantages built into them. We absolutely loved staying there. Our room was on the fourth floor of the wheel well building and we had zero complaints about anything on our 7 night stay. Was absolutely worth the price despite being a value. Would not hesitate to recommend it.

If your boys are good with sleeping on the sofa bed, together, and your BIL on the murphy then I think it's a good fit for your group. If it's a problem and you can pack an airbed and bedding, all the better!

Our family of 5 stayed in Cars for two nights on our first trip and loved the room. The food court wasn't a win for us but we figured out that any bay-type ordering with 3 opinionated kids was a no-win and avoided them afterwards! The room was great, though!

IMHO. I find the suites quite $$$$. If you are comfortable renting DVC points, you can likely stay at AKV or OKW in a 1BR with a King bed, sofabed and single chair-bed for the same $ or less as AoA suites. You will get full kitchen, living room, dining table seating 4, large bathroom (2 bathrooms @ AKV-Kidani) upscale decor, pools with slides, hot tubs, sauna. The 1 BR @ OKW are VERY large with patio with seating for 4, as well.

We have stayed at all levels of resort and loved AoA, we had a Fining Nemo Suite. The room is so well themed and with it being just my son and I, it was great to be able to put him to bed and then close the master suite door and watch some TV and not worry about disturbing him. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be with more than 2 adults (i.e. needed to use the sofa bed), but it's a short trip for you, so I would think it should be fine.

The main pool at AoA, although not as nice as a deluxe resort, is a great pool. Very large, zero entry and the music under water all make it a great way to spend some relax time.

My only real issue with AoA, and this is the same for me at POP and I expect would be the same at a value, is that the common areas, food court, etc.. always seem so busy and noisy.

Did you look into 2 mermaid rooms at AofA instead of a squite. More beds, more privacy, and likely cheaper than a suite. My wife and I and my parents did it this way and it was perfect!

It's not just a bigger room. It has a queen bed not just a double plus the other two beds and two bathrooms. And it's an interior corridor of that matters to you, OP. Unless someone lucks upon getting two values side by side/connected, the suites at AoA have a lot of advantages built into them. We absolutely loved staying there. Our room was on the fourth floor of the wheel well building and we had zero complaints about anything on our 7 night stay. Was absolutely worth the price despite being a value. Would not hesitate to recommend it.

But it is still a suite at a value resort. It would help to know what exactly the OP doesn't like about values before saying she would or wouldn't be happy in a family suite.

If your boys are good with sleeping on the sofa bed, together, and your BIL on the murphy then I think it's a good fit for your group. If it's a problem and you can pack an airbed and bedding, all the better!

Our family of 5 stayed in Cars for two nights on our first trip and loved the room. The food court wasn't a win for us but we figured out that any bay-type ordering with 3 opinionated kids was a no-win and avoided them afterwards! The room was great, though!

I am the self professed Queen of the Values and I disliked AoA. Extremely. the food court is BEDLAM no matter what time and the food "sounds" better than it tastes. I had all kinds of issues with in room noise--could hear babies crying, adults coughing, etc. HANDS down I would go with 2 rooms at a different value.... More space and less money.

I am the self professed Queen of the Values and I disliked AoA. Extremely. the food court is BEDLAM no matter what time and the food "sounds" better than it tastes. I had all kinds of issues with in room noise--could hear babies crying, adults coughing, etc. HANDS down I would go with 2 rooms at a different value.... More space and less money.
Much of what I experienced. And while the pool is very large, still couldn't find a free spot just to relax in the pool without getting splashed or kicked. I understand that there were lots of kids, but I enjoy the quiet pools of CBR.

Thanks for the help everyone, great insight! As far as what I don't like about values, from my perspective they just seem a little loud and not as comfortable which I will do my best to explain as nice beds, fluffy towels, theming that feels like you've gone somewhere (I like the resorts that have the lush, woodsy or garden-y grounds) v. just a standard hotel room. From what I have seen online I don't expect that AoA will have the lush grounds the theming does look pretty cool. Also hearing that there is an interior corridor is a definite plus and two bathrooms is a win!

I think the Cars Suite will be okay, DH does not like having to use buses so we will have car so bus availability is not an issue. Since we are spending one day at the resort food court is okay but seriously all my 5 year old eats is Cheerios and fruit :) so if its not the best I can live with that too, at a food court I know what we're getting into.

A pool and a room where we are not sitting on top of each other is what is really important for this trip since the other two days we will be at the parks as long as the kids can stand it.

DH is also looking at the one bedroom villas at OKW, that might get us the comfortable room I am looking but I don't have any experience at that resort either. Who knew deciding on a room for a short, quick trip would be so hard?:crazy:

Here are the things I noticed moving from AoA to the poly...

Pool was crazy crowded with many unattended children (most of the chairs are pretty far from the pool's edge and with that many people, it's harder for parents to sit in a chair and watch their kids).

The food court used real silverware at AoA but with that many people in a wide open space, it's really loud and the food bays do make ordering with kids difficult.

The gap under the doors at AoA is very wide and you hear a lot in the outer room. It's fine if you're in the bedroom

The theming at AoA is just amazing. If your kids love any of these films, they will be in awe.

Beds are softer at the poly.

We didn't need the space on our last trip with the 3 of us, but we took my mom the first time and the extra space was everything. My mom is slow to get ready in the bathroom. We never would have gotten anywhere.

I don't think you can go wrong. Are your priorities space/extra bathroom and theming or quiet and a resort feel?

Thanks for the help everyone, great insight! As far as what I don't like about values, from my perspective they just seem a little loud and not as comfortable which I will do my best to explain as nice beds, fluffy towels, theming that feels like you've gone somewhere (I like the resorts that have the lush, woodsy or garden-y grounds) v. just a standard hotel room. From what I have seen online I don't expect that AoA will have the lush grounds the theming does look pretty cool. Also hearing that there is an interior corridor is a definite plus and two bathrooms is a win!

I think the Cars Suite will be okay, DH does not like having to use buses so we will have car so bus availability is not an issue. Since we are spending one day at the resort food court is okay but seriously all my 5 year old eats is Cheerios and fruit :) so if its not the best I can live with that too, at a food court I know what we're getting into.

A pool and a room where we are not sitting on top of each other is what is really important for this trip since the other two days we will be at the parks as long as the kids can stand it.

DH is also looking at the one bedroom villas at OKW, that might get us the comfortable room I am looking but I don't have any experience at that resort either. Who knew deciding on a room for a short, quick trip would be so hard?:crazy:

Have you seen the suites? If "a little loud" is off putting, then I don't know how you can consider a stay at AoA. They look like someone threw up Disney, and not in a good way, imho.

We are staying in a Cars suite in January - but were are travelling with kids and they like the theming. I'm looking forward to the extra bathroom and the ability to put the kids to bed in a different room. Hopefully it's not too loud. And we don't plan on eating in the resort much anyway.

AoA is a great resort, and a good option for the 5 people.

-AWESOME pool, speakers under the water in the main one, and I believe 2 other pools on property (i don't venture much into the Cars side of things)
-Great food court, variety is awesome, more healthier and unique options, make your own pasta is delicious.
-Resort decorated wonderfully, worthwhile to spend an hour or so wandering through each section taking pictures, playing around, etc
-Able to walk over to Pop to say: use food court over there, explore the resort itself, use their busses to & from parks (we usually used on the way home since the lines were shorter)

-Suites themselves, obviously larger than a standard hotel room! The main bedroom having it's own bathroom is a major plus as well, especially for getting ready
-Main bedroom bed was super comfortable, I can't comment on the sofa bed or pull down though
-Really nice having the kitchenette, especially for breakfasts, able to save a bit of money on food!
-It is still a Value resort, and that MAY shine through, specifically in the way of theming, everything is HARDCORE Disney, vs a mod or deluxe where the Disney is subtle, this is not.
-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter