Thoughts on Fireworks

This is a difficult decision to be sure. A couple thoughts....kind of opposed to each other:
Illuminations theoretically could be going away (sponsorship issues and age)....so this might be your only chance to see it. It is also an excellent show that combines many elements together and not just fireworks. That being said, it is longer and a different pace than other fireworks.
I haven't yet seen the Star Wars fireworks (September!) but all of the special fireworks I have seen at HS were fantastic.....like over the top good. Feedback I read about Star Wars is that they are consistent with this.

My plans are September as well.

My plans are September as well.
Greatly looking forward to the Star Wars fireworks - the brief shots I have seen (which I try to avoid doing before my first viewing, btw) look amazing!
Illuminations is kind of older tech and design. Still an excellent show, IMHO, but it feels less current to be sure.

Greatly looking forward to the Star Wars fireworks - the brief shots I have seen (which I try to avoid doing before my first viewing, btw) look amazing!
Illuminations is kind of older tech and design. Still an excellent show, IMHO, but it feels less current to be sure.

Honestly, I don't think the age of a show matters as much to a first time viewer.

Does anyone have any input on Rivers of Light?

Some love it, some hate it. I'm in the camp where it was a one and done for my wife and I. It wasn't bad, but it just felt lacking. It was over and we were both like "that's it? That's what we waited for".

I think it's the weakest out of all the nighttime shows and if i saw it again it would have to be with a 5 min or less wait

It takes me all day to get through the food and wine booths, so I would still be in Epcot at fireworks time and would watch anyway. But I don't recommend the evening emh, because the fireworks eat a big chunk of it. And I just read that the food booths close at 9, so I really don't see the point.

My priorities are
1. Halloween party fireworks
2. Happily ever after
3. Fantasmic
4. Illuminations
5. Rivers of light
6. Star Wars

But it sounds like you would put Star Wars much higher on the priority list. If you run, push, and shove you can see both fantasmic and Star Wars in the same night, but I think getting out of fantasmic before the masses is nearly impossible for even experienced Disney-goers.

If there's a Rivers of Light at 10:30, you might be able to fit that in after another park, as long as you're at a bus stop or in your car by 9:30.

I agree with the above that Rivers of Life was underwhelming. But I had such high expectations, since we've been waiting so long (it was supposed to be ready last summer), and then I saw it on an AP preview night, so arrived insanely early and waited forever. It hasn't made the cut on the last two short trips. I'd say save it until your animal kingdom trip.

But most people don't have the opportunity to go 2-3 times a year. So, if this is the OP's only planned visit over the next 3 years, I would definitely encourage watching Illumninations.

Well, I know I will be going to Animal Kingdom in December(brief stop off on the way to a cruise), but that is all I will have time for then.

It takes me all day to get through the food and wine booths, so I would still be in Epcot at fireworks time and would watch anyway. But I don't recommend the evening emh, because the fireworks eat a big chunk of it. And I just read that the food booths close at 9, so I really don't see the point.

My priorities are
2. Happily ever after
3. Fantasmic
4. Illuminations
5. Rivers of light
6. Star Wars

But it sounds like you would put Star Wars much higher on the priority list. If you run, push, and shove you can see both fantasmic and Star Wars in the same night, but I think getting out of fantasmic before the masses is nearly impossible for even experienced Disney-goers.

If there's a Rivers of Light at 10:30, you might be able to fit that in after another park, as long as you're at a bus stop or in your car by 9:30.

I agree with the above that Rivers of Life was underwhelming. But I had such high expectations, since we've been waiting so long (it was supposed to be ready last summer), and then I saw it on an AP preview night, so arrived insanely early and waited forever. It hasn't made the cut on the last two short trips. I'd say save it until your animal kingdom trip.

My reason for the Evening EMH was so that I don't have to worry about hitting all of the big rides in the morning. Simple flexibility, and given I will be solo it should help. That will also be the day I have to check-out of my on-site resort(campground, so I am tearing down my site before heading to Epcot, and then heading to the off-site hotel for my overnight hotel. I was kinda leaning towards giving Animal Kingdom a backseat given I don't have to get everything done this trip. Thank you for the advice. Would you suggest MK for Saturday or Monday?

But most people don't have the opportunity to go 2-3 times a year.
With the OP visiting 2 times this year, I would encourage them to rearrange their itinerary so that they can watch Illuminations. And even after having seen it hundreds of times and the other shows countless times over just the last few years, and also being able to be completely objective, I put it at the top of my list, if all the elements are working that is. They are not currently.
I think they will be getting a new show soon.
Nothing will change for a while.
Clarification, I guess what I meant to imply was that Illuminations will not disappear soon, or before the OP's next visit. The sponsorship change was known and expected. D23 announcements will shed light on what's next for SSE and Illuminations.

With the OP visiting 2 times this year, I would encourage them to rearrange their itinerary so that they can watch Illuminations. And even after having seen it hundreds of times and the other shows countless times over just the last few years, and also being able to be completely objective, I put it at the top of my list, if all the elements are working that is. They are not currently.
Clarification, I guess what I meant to imply was that Illuminations will not disappear soon, or before the OP's next visit. The sponsorship change was known and expected. D23 announcements will shed light on what's next for SSE and Illuminations.

The park for the December visit was chose by my travel companion for then. The September trip I am doing all four parks solo, but I have a Halloween Party ticket for one night, so I have to skip one evenings fireworks/spectacular to make room for that. Technically, it will be 3 trips. Was at Blizzard Beach in May, but this is an unusual year for me. I usually only get to travel twice a year(and rarely for vacation...usually self-employed so business trips mainly).

I'm curious about how these sponsorships work. AT&T also used to sponsor the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. When they dropped the sponsorships, both rides continued to operate without any real changes.

When Walt Disney first built Disneyland, he didn't have a lot of money or credit available. So he had to rely on sponsors in order to help fund operating and construction costs. These days, my guess is that sponsorships are just a big gravy check that goes straight into the bank.

Disney runs Illuminations because they need a nighttime show to keep people in the park, spending money, until closing. They would rationally do this whether there was a sponsor or not. Maybe Illuminations has a slightly bigger budget than it otherwise would, but I'm guessing Disney charged Siemens based on the marketing value of having their name sent out to thousands of people a day, not the cost of the show itself.

My priorities are
2. Happily ever after
3. Fantasmic
4. Illuminations
5. Rivers of light
6. Star Wars

Rivers of Light is at 8:15 during my visit so it will be either that or Happily Ever After. Not planning to park hop due to the length of time I will be there(just four park days total).

Rivers of Light is at 8:15 during my visit so it will be either that or Happily Ever After. Not planning to park hop due to the length of time I will be there(just four park days total).

So basically we've boiled the question down to which park should you do before your MNSSHP party night? Thus missing the nighttime spectacular at that park. The options OP seams down to are AK or MK.

I would say AK, try to get a FP for FoP EE, and safari and roll out mid afternoon to head over to the MNSSHP.

As you are a first time visitor, more time in the magic Kingdom is a good thing!

So basically we've boiled the question down to which park should you do before your MNSSHP party night? Thus missing the nighttime spectacular at that park. The options OP seams down to are AK or MK.

I would say AK, try to get a FP for FoP EE, and safari and roll out mid afternoon to head over to the MNSSHP.

As you are a first time visitor, more time in the magic Kingdom is a good thing!

Well, second time to Disney, but first time to to the four main parks. Yes, down to MK and AK. If I had one more day for the trip, I wouldn't have to give up anything, but my flight didn't quite work out that way, since the next available flight wouldn't be until Friday on the airline I chose.

I'd skip Rivers of Light and Fantasmic. I find both of them rather boring. Illuminations is my favorite. Happily Ever After and Star Wars are also good.

I'd skip Rivers of Light and Fantasmic. I find both of them rather boring. Illuminations is my favorite. Happily Ever After and Star Wars are also good.

Fantasmic there is no way I would have time for. I'm working out the final itinerary now. The one way I could see around this issue is to change my party date to my arrival date, but it would put me a little later getting into the party.

Due to being able to save money on airfare, I had to cut my trip short by a day or two. Now, I am traveling solo, so I have some flexibility. While I plan to hit all four parks, there will be one evening I am unable to see the fireworks, due to attendance at MNSSHP. Which fireworks/show would be best to cut of the four? Also, if anyone has any suggestions for park order, aside from what is listed below, please feel free to post that as well.

Right now my plans are as follows.

Friday, 9/22 - Arrival and Final Fantasy Escape Game(off-property)
Saturday 9/23 - Check-in at Fort Wilderness
Sunday 9/24 - MNSSHP
Tuesday 9/26 - Epcot
Wednesday 9/27 - Departure

What are you doing Monday?
The MNSSHP is scheduled that Friday, Sunday and Tuesday..... so you are limited to Sat or Monday to see the new Happily Ever After at MK. If you want to see HEA that will put you in MK for 2 evenings, leaving only Mon or Sat and Tues. to be in other parks.
Epcot will be insanely busy on Sat and Sunday for Food and Wine. So Epcot for Tuesday is a good choice if you definitely want to see Illuminations.... (keep in mind that there are lots of rumors that Illuminations is going to change or go away next year, so this may be a last chance thing)
Rivers of Light right now is only scheduled for Sat, Sun and Tuesday.
So you need to decide which ones you definitely want to see! and then work around the MNSSHP.
Here's what I'd do..... (I am not a big Star Wars fan and already saw that and wasn't really impressed)
Sat..... AK for Rivers of Light
Sunday .... MNSSHP
Monday.... MK for Happily Ever After
Tues..... Epcot for Illuminations.

Hope you have a great time!! We will be there same time, but not doing MNSSHP.

Since you are solo and if you want to walk it, it is very possible to watch Star Wars at HS (assuming it is at 8) and then walk that path to Epcot and see Illuminations (at 9:00). I have done this. I made it to Epcot with time to spare. You would have to walk briskly, but it's not that bad. You would come in the back entrance to Epcot and already be right at the World Showcase. It's just a thought if you want to squeeze two into one night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter