• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thoughts on the changes WDW/DL are making to the DAS pass?

Disney has stated that they will decide cases like hers on a case by case basis. Now under the ADA, Disney can't ask her what her disability is, but they can ask her what makes her unable to wait in line. In her case, because Disneyland still has a lot of outside queueing. My sense is she'll easily get one there. WDW, with much more inside queuing, she might not get one except on days where the queues are so long they extend outside. Seems fair enough to me if that's the way things work out.

Last edited:

Does Disney have a valid reason for the changes or is it just another example of modern greed?
Yes and probably yes.

The high mix of DAS seems to be changing the park experience for others. Which is fine to some extent, but where is the line for when the average visitor is impacted too much? The public does not have the data Disney does to make this judgement. I don’t think they’d move forward with trying to more precisely tailor access without good reason. From the announcements the plan looks to be offering alternative assistance where possible, instead of the current single solution for non-mobility issues. That along with the number of non-disable guests attached to services. A two pronged approach to reducing the impacts.

Greed plays it part too. It’s a for profit business. They do not want to lose G+ sales or lose guests to overwhelming standby lines. Where I think WDW goes too far is intentionally adjusting park operations to keep up the appearance of crazy high demand in order to push upgrade spending. They could release some of the pressure in the parks.

I’m not sure I agree with current petitions. It’s premature to make any case right now. Many of these bloggers have no clue how exactly they will be impacted yet they’re running with it. More clicks, more views, more money.

IMO it all stems from the root of a problem that has been slowly strangling the parks for years now -- neglecting to see to it that capacity keeps pace with demand, or at least making a somewhat meaningful attempt to do so. Once they stepped back on that idea years ago the die was cast. The years moved on, demand continued to tick upwards until they were in a position where even substantial investment wouldn't move the needle much, particularly when new investment began to focus on replacement instead of additional capacity. The wounds compound when replacement results in attractions with lower capacity.

Large crowds vying for reduced capacity gave rise to the incentive for many to game the system, a system bound to crash when the company began to mine the capacity issues for $$$. Those with genuine need of DAS are simply collateral damage of a war of greed amongst two voracious combatants.

We do the stand by lines, and it gets to be too much - then we leave. We're doing more resort time now. Money talks.

I was doing fine with WDW for a long time with the old disability format, then in 2016 I was denied the old system and my trip was excruciating. Not he least reason being we were with another family and I simply couldn't keep up, and I hurt myself a whole lot trying. My family stayed away for many years. Last year DH and I went and had a nice trip, I was excited to bring this back into our lives. I was even considering DVC and planning a week a year as a sort of get together, but now no, I simply won't be able to manage on my own.

The way they are toying with validating people is terrible, they should be ashamed of themselves.

As a disabled person where a wheel chair or scooter is not the answer (or my Drs would have done it by now) I think it is very messed up for a business that is supposed to be about inclusivity takes a stance looking at the population of physically disabled people with a multitude of medically recognized disabilities and says, "Nahhh, too many of you, you will no longer be accommodated."

Like maybe make a different program for physical, I don't mind getting a Dr note or make it around the disability placards or something, but to just write me off is so.... dehumanizing.

What p's me off about WDW and disney is that they simply make the problems in many ways themselves. Parks too crowded for any form of enjoyment.

My main peeve when it comes to physical disability is that for them it's either you are 100% fit and fine standing in the heat and line for hours or totally non-mobile and they suggest you rent an EV or wheelchair.

So elderly people or sick people but who are not wheelchair bound are forced to be wheelchair bound. that is what really peeves me off. WDW says get a wheelchair or an EV because their line system offers no rest at all. You cant even bringin a foldable stool that is smaller than most cross bodies ( no seating assintance allowed etc... in the rules).

I get most parks are ike this, but I have been to some they build in seating within the line. I am talking about taking a 2 min break to take the weight off the feet and then carry on.. Believe me ( I have knee issues) I can can wait for a long time in a line but it is that only 1 min or 2 quick rest that can make you go on for 30 min or more in line standing. And no this won't keep the line from moving.. Believe if people move, people will get up. this is why I love the tower of terror line.. you can sit in the garden area on the walls. though I am surprised WDW hasnt figure out a way to add metal spikes to keep people from sitting.

or the whole I have IBS and will need to have a bathroom every 10 minutes. 1. why go to a them park 2. why doesnt WDW build bathrooms in the line? RoTR has one and I was happy to see that.. makes logically sense. Especially seeing how far the lines are from restrooms. Add bath WDW and then fix the whole I need a bath pass issue.

the whole DAS this was good for people who REALLY needed it. I did question some of the "conditions" people claimed entitled them DAS. I dont want offend people but simply put should accommaditions be made for people who CHOOSE to go to a theme park, that is CROWDED ( I can't stand in a room with so many people) , in Florida( HOT 90% of the time ) and requires waiting your turn ( waiting in lines)??? if you have something that keep you from dealing with those three things.. then maybe WDW is not the place for you.

The way they are toying with validating people is terrible, they should be ashamed of themselves.

There’s not enough info yet to know whether this is true or not.

What is validating where WDW is concerned. If they offer a different type of assistance for some groups, what’s going to matter is if that works to help them or not. Not every case specifically needs DAS, and I think this is what’s changing. Can something else still help them.

There isn’t enough to guess who is going to get which assistance and if it will work. We don’t know everything they’ll be offering and we don’t know everything outside of DAS won’t work for some people.

I was doing fine with WDW for a long time with the old disability format, then in 2016 I was denied the old system and my trip was excruciating. Not he least reason being we were with another family and I simply couldn't keep up, and I hurt myself a whole lot trying. My family stayed away for many years. Last year DH and I went and had a nice trip, I was excited to bring this back into our lives. I was even considering DVC and planning a week a year as a sort of get together, but now no, I simply won't be able to manage on my own.

As a disabled person where a wheel chair or scooter is not the answer (or my Drs would have done it by now) I think it is very messed up for a business that is supposed to be about inclusivity takes a stance looking at the population of physically disabled people with a multitude of medically recognized disabilities and says, "Nahhh, too many of you, you will no longer be accommodated."

Like maybe make a different program for physical, I don't mind getting a Dr note or make it around the disability placards or something, but to just write me off is so.... dehumanizing.
This is what I dont get.... WDW didn't care of the physcially disabilities.. Unless you were so bad and you were in some form of wheels... force people physicall pain but a 5 year old on some spectrum who doest know or understand how to wait in line gets a pass? makes no sense.

I dont want offend people but simply put should accommaditions be made for people who CHOOSE to go to a theme park, that is CROWDED ( I can't stand in a room with so many people) , in Florida( HOT 90% of the time ) and requires waiting your turn ( waiting in lines)??? if you have something that keep you from dealing with those three things.. then maybe WDW is not the place for you.

I kind of agree with this. Not every vacation or ride is appropriate for everyone. I get terrible motion sickness & a paralyzing fear of heights. I will never take a cruise because I’m afraid of seasickness. Nor will I climb a mountain or stand at the edge of the Grand Canyon. So I don’t take vacations to those places. I go to WDW often. But there are plenty of rides I have to skip… I don’t do any roller coasters or Tower of Terror. I make choices appropriate for me. If the line for Peter Pan’s Flight triggers your claustrophobia, maybe you have to skip that ride. If having to skip too much doesn’t work for you, that might not be the right vacation spot for you.

This is what I dont get.... WDW didn't care of the physcially disabilities.. Unless you were so bad and you were in some form of wheels... force people physicall pain but a 5 year old on some spectrum who doest know or understand how to wait in line gets a pass? makes no sense.

Agree. I also have recurrent plantar fasciitis after working as an RN for 44 years. Standing in lines can be very painful sometimes My only options will both cost me money….rent a wheelchair or scooter or pay for Genie+ access. I certainly don’t need a wheelchair or scooter. My options then are pay for Genie+ or skip long lines when I’m having pain. There’s no accommodation for me that doesn’t entail me paying money or limiting my ride access. I think most people are in my situation. There could be someone in every group that will have trouble waiting in line for 1 reason or another. Singling out 1 group for free access to what others have to pay for seems strange. Although, I absolutely think the DAS access has gotten way out of hand. Because again, every group could have someone that would benefit from skipping lines. Maybe all rides just need to go to virtual lines & boarding groups. 😂

Last edited:
So elderly people or sick people but who are not wheelchair bound are forced to be wheelchair bound. that is what really peeves me off. WDW says get a wheelchair or an EV because their line system offers no rest at all. You cant even bringin a foldable stool that is smaller than most cross bodies ( no seating assintance allowed etc... in the rules).
There are many different types of mobility devices besides just wheelchairs and ECVs. Disney offers those because that's what they rent, but a guest is welcome to bring their own mobility device of pretty much any type. The new announcement even mentions that a "cane seat" is acceptable now.

There’s not enough info yet to know whether this is true or not.
So very true. In typical Disney fashion, an announcement was made without full details. I do believe those who need accommodations will be offered accommodations. It may not be their preferred accommodation (DAS) but it should be one that meets the needs.

If folks could just be patient until info comes out... there simply isn't enough detail to make informed opinions at this point.

There are many different types of mobility devices besides just wheelchairs and ECVs. Disney offers those because that's what they rent, but a guest is welcome to bring their own mobility device of pretty much any type. The new announcement even mentions that a "cane seat" is acceptable now.

So very true. In typical Disney fashion, an announcement was made without full details. I do believe those who need accommodations will be offered accommodations. It may not be their preferred accommodation (DAS) but it should be one that meets the needs.

If folks could just be patient until info comes out... there simply isn't enough detail to make informed opinions at this point.
The bold is a common sense, practical solution that might genuinely help a lot of people out, which is wonderful.

Unfortunately I can also see where there are ways for it to go quite wrong. I would hope Disney puts in the necessary thought and planning to make it a helpful solution for those who need it without causing it to become a dangerous projectile on some attractions (fairly confident they'll resolve that issue), or leave a guest in need separated from their aid when they need to disembark (that's where I think this could get problematic).

I would hope Disney puts in the necessary thought and planning to make it a helpful solution for those who need it without causing it to become a dangerous projectile on some attractions (fairly confident they'll resolve that issue), or leave a guest in need separated from their aid when they need to disembark (that's where I think this could get problematic).
I expect it would be handled the same as any other cane or mobility aid (like crutches). Depending on the attraction and the mobility aid, the guest is allowed to keep it with them in the ride vehicle or it is held by a CM and brought to them at unload. WDW (and DLR/DCA) is very well-versed on how to handle such situations.

I expect it would be handled the same as any other cane or mobility aid (like crutches). Depending on the attraction and the mobility aid, the guest is allowed to keep it with them in the ride vehicle or it is held by a CM and brought to them at unload. WDW (and DLR/DCA) is very well-versed on how to handle such situations.
If that's the case this seems like a really practical and straightforward way to help out many guests -- without investment by Disney or costs or negative impacts to guests. Changes like this seem like a win for everybody -- it would be nice if more things could be addressed so simply.

Yes, but that board is very selective about what you're allowed to discuss. It's a very one sided conversation. I'm not sure what the OP is hoping for out of the discussion, but if it's a broad range of views, this should probably be posted on the Controversial Board where everyone is allowed to post their views without being reprimanded.

The system is severely broken, it needs to be fixed. I only wish they were changing the name so it is a new stand on it's own system, like they did the last time.

Two upcoming trips, with the first one being a room only reservation. If DS does not get approved that trip might get cancelled. Second trip is committed but early December when it is slower so we will still go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter