Threads won't change colour

Nick Beecham

Earning My Ears
With the previous board, any threads I'd already looked at changed colour. This saved me a lot of time.

Does anyone know if this can be done on this new board? I couldn't find anything in the FAQs.

Cheers
Nick

I also find it is much slower to move around in the boards here now. It takes a while for any new page to load. Is it just me or a common phenomenon?

Our Technical Board should be able to help with these questions.

The yellow envelopes on the left indicate the status of the thread. A closed envelope means nothing new since your last visit. If the envelope has letters sticking out the top it means "new posts since your last visit".

You may want to refresh your screen during long sessions to check this status.

Enjoy!

Thanks Doc

It's not really the same though.

A thread with no new entries will have a closed envelope whether I've looked at it before or not.

Isn't there anyway, anymore, to distinguish threads I've read from those I haven't?

Cheers
Nick
:rolleyes:

I must agree with Nick. I miss the color change too. Otherwise, these boards are great. I do like the way you can skip to the new posts, but since many times I'm short on time, I skip around reading only the posts whose titles are of interest to me. If the color would change, I would know at a glance which ones I had skipped.

I agree. I really liked it when the posts changed colors as well. Makes it so much easier to distinguish which posts you've read and which ones you haven't.

If you navigate with the board controls ONLY (and not your browser controls) the envelopes DO work properly. I actualy think that they are more efficient now than before.

I thought I read somewhere that the technical dept. was working on adding the color change thing. Is this true? Please, please, please say it is true. Thanks.

The change of the color in a visited link is the default behavior of a simple web page. There is something in the building of this board that inhibits this usefull behavior.
The envelopes feature is great, but it doesn't tell you if you have visited that thread before, only tell you that there are new post since your last visit. Two different things.

It is being worked on but quite honestly may take some time.

With so many new, neat things about this board, it's hard to complain about anything.

But the color change of a post was truly a user-friendly feature.

Alex, if you and the other guru's can change that, it would be in the truest essence, DIS-magical.

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>Well, maybe the links don't change colors, but the envelopes now show the posts you've been to. The thing to remember, is to use the features on the board - don't hit your back button, but go to the field at the bottom of the thread, and click there to go back to the discussion board.

I've tried it out, and it works.... Lots of dots on my envelopes now. :)

Mary Jo,

Are you talking about hitting the Go button on the Forum Jump at the bottom of each thread page?

I've used other methods that aren't consistant. One is always going back to a link in my Favorites pulldown. Another is to click on the link to the Technical Support at the top of each thread page. These work sometimes, and sometimes don't. Really odd results when they don't work.

Are the dots on the envelopes indicators of having contributed to that thread?

Thanks,

Bob

mirror.gif
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#00009c>

Bob,

The dots indicate that you've read the thread, whether or not you've contributed. I'll try some of the other links that you've said, but I think they will work because they are part of the system in these boards.

Thanks for working this, too. :D

mirror.gif
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=#00009c>Yikes, I was wrong.

The dots indicate posts that you have participated in. I'll let the webmasters know.

Using the Go button on the Forum jump at the bottom of the thread gives very repeatable results. However, my results do differ from what you are describing.

For me the following hold true:

Open envelope appears to be on threads that have new posts since I've last hit the page.

Closed envelopes are ones that I've read and have no new posts since I last visited the page but where I've not contributed to the thread.

Open or closed envelopes with dots are similar, respectively, to the descriptions above but are next to threads to which I've posted at least once.

--- edit ---
Sorry, I was typing this while you were posting the reply above.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter