Three Things...Gratitude Thread

My high school German teacher. I had her for 4 years so knew her well. She was a good teacher for high school. Had a great ability to relate to adolescents and often would give us general life advice.

I had a great professor in my master’s program. I took 4-5 classes from him and he was an incredible human being. The master’s was in marriage and family counseling and he told a lot of stories about successes and failures he had over the years and what he learned in those situations. One of his pieces of advice for us was one that I remind myself of all the time—“You can’t want it for them more than they want it for themselves. It never works”. I also apply that to parenting. During some phases it has become almost a mantra.

My girls had really good teachers. We are lucky to live in an area with really good high performing schools. My college aged kids appreciated that once they got to college. It’s not something they even realized before that.

My mom- She taught PE, Health, Coached several school teams, and was an NBC Science teacher before retiring several years ago. I don't know how she did it all of those years. I tried to suggest she shift into corporate America where she could do corporate training for adults and not deal with some of the drama you get within a school, but she just really liked teaching kids. Middle school was her preferred age range.

My first true voice teacher- I was 12 and she was about 73 when we started. We connected during my audition and I showed enough potential and coachability during my trial month that she accepted me as a regular pupil. I'll spare you her pedigree, but she was one of the best in our area. She wasn't even on our radar because she preferred adults or older high school kids. We worked together for about 5.5 years and she helped mold me into so much more than any of us thought I could be. From the elite groups I made to the college process, she helped change my life. Her teachings also went beyond singing. With her background and my perceived potential, she thought it was important that I also know about things in more elite circles. When my singing lesson ended, my social lessons began (my mom always was running late). I learned about fashion, jewelry, art, highly regarded performers, elevated cuisine, people, etc. in case my singing ever put me in a place where I needed to know more than just singing. It actually helped a few times in my adult life, especially when I was with the symphony.

The girls' health sciences teacher- I'm not sure how it is in other states, but the bulk of the schools in our area have developed really robust health sciences programs. This particular teacher has been really helpful for both of my girls. He played football (soccer) professionally in England for a number of years before a career ending injury inspired him to go back to college and sort of reinvent himself. While it was late in her high school career, he helped when DD17 changed her major path last year from pre-law to STEM/Pre-Med and Dental. My younger one, who would like to play college sports before embarking on an advanced degree for Sports PT has gotten so much out of class with him during her freshman year and should be able to do some interning in the field during her junior and senior years because of how much this teacher (and a few others) have put into these programs.

I neglected to include DD's dance teachers. DD was involved in more than just "dancing school;" it was actual dance training, focused on ballet for 14 years. She was in the dance studio 5 days a week, 4 hours a day. On the weekend she had either rehearsals or performances, or both, and sometimes competitions. She spent as much or more time with her teachers in the studio than she did at home, and we were so, so fortunate to have her surrounded by adults that were not only interested in her dance training, but also in helping her grow and develop as a person. Many, many thanks go to Serena, Cassie, Ivy, Gene, Keith, Maureen, and Stevie for being interested in my daughter and her life, and for being excellent role models over the years.

My math teachers in junior high and high school were amazing! - They were so patient, knew how to make things memorable, gave you just enough help to let you get the answer yourself, and seemed genuinely excited to see an idea they hadn't thought of yet. - It was so good for my confidence!

My Aunt M~~~, who is a retired 6th grade teacher, and who still brings educational things into all our lives. I've always looked up to her!

And from DS's school years, Mrs. S~~~ (1st grade). - Not only did he like her, but volunteering in her classroom taught me so many of the skills I used later in subbing! She was really the definition of a "master teacher" and mentored many student teachers over the years.

1. Fictional teachers who inspired me ( I wanted to be a teacher from the time I was in 2nd grade): the English teacher in the book Up the Down Staircase and, of course, Sidney Poitier in To Sir With Love

2. My 6th grade teacher and my 11th grade English teacher: both made me accountable for lazy writing that I got away with in other classes. :)

3. My DD’s 2nd grade teacher: we are still in touch and I have never met anyone who knows how to be as positive and supportive of every child who has ever been in her classroom. She also went out of her way (and spent a ton of her own money!) to create activities that her students and their parents still remember. And she still does a Halloween Haunted House at her home that my DGD now goes to!

I neglected to include DD's dance teachers. DD was involved in more than just "dancing school;" it was actual dance training, focused on ballet for 14 years. She was in the dance studio 5 days a week, 4 hours a day. On the weekend she had either rehearsals or performances, or both, and sometimes competitions. She spent as much or more time with her teachers in the studio than she did at home, and we were so, so fortunate to have her surrounded by adults that were not only interested in her dance training, but also in helping her grow and develop as a person. Many, many thanks go to Serena, Cassie, Ivy, Gene, Keith, Maureen, and Stevie for being interested in my daughter and her life, and for being excellent role models over the years.

A dear friend- No, she's not actually purple 🤣, but it's her signature color and she's always in purple. She even usually has purple woven into her braids.

Purple Roses- I guess they're really more lavender and there are several varieties, but I've always been a huge fans of the ones that have that greyish lavender shade with no hints of pink.

Amethyst geodes- Geodes, in general, fascinate me. That being said, my parents had several around the house and the one that always captured my fancy was this big amethyst filled one. It's just incredible that a seemingly basic looking rock could be cracked open and filled with sparkling gems.

Good Afternoon :wave:

I love purple!
It’s not favorite color, but it does rank close to the top.

#1 - My purple eyeliner - it’s one of my favorite eyeliners

#2 - The purple flowers I’ll be buying soon - I love purple flowers

#3 - Our purple bathroom - I’m mostly grateful that I took the plunge to make it purple because I love how it looks.

My bedroom- it's purple
Lilacs, irises, violets... I love purple flowers
This... from Barcelona Lounge at Coronado Springs!
1715212482104.png

AND... edited 5/9, thanks to @slo 's poll this morning, the lilac summer robe I inherited from my mother-in-law when she died. It's like wearing a hug from her.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter