Ticket price increase rumor

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I know that DL just recently raised ticket prices. My AP expires towards the middle of July. Short of a 20-fold price increase, I will, of course, renew. But some friends have APs that expire in January. They're acquainted with some CMs who warned them that there will be yet another increase before they're able to renew. Has anyone heard similar threats ;-)?

I know that DL just recently raised ticket prices. My AP expires towards the middle of July. Short of a 20-fold price increase, I will, of course, renew. But some friends have APs that expire in January. They're acquainted with some CMs who warned them that there will be yet another increase before they're able to renew. Has anyone heard similar threats ;-)?
Yes. When prices increased earlier this year Disney stated they would be making further changes to APs this year. There will be changes to the AP system, exactly what that means is up for discussion but it will come with price changes.

Ah! So possibly a price decrease? ;-).
LOL. Pretty sure the only way you'll see a price decrease on your AP cost is if there is a new pass with more blockouts that works for your schedule. Rumors are bigger summer blackouts to help with Star Wars opening or potential DCA only days.

Ah! So possibly a price decrease? ;-).

Ha ha ha ha. I would have said never...but then Disney did reduce the price on the one-day parkhopper ticket with the last price change. Still, I'm thinking the only decreases we will see with this round are pass benefits. Based on the layout of Disney's website and all the rumors swirling among Disney fans and watchers, I'm expecting big changes to the black out dates on most levels of passes. And I still think prices will go up too.

I also expect to see another round of price increases this year. Either that or a whole sale re-structuring of the AP so that there are different ones available. I can kind of see it happening before summer or at least before the internally projected planned opening ate for Star Wars Land (whatever that may be). That way they can implement the changes to the blockouts in a way that doesn't impact folks that already have their APs (can you imagine the uproar that would occur if they make major changes to the blockout calendar after they've already published it). Otherwise, I would expect to see them change the structure of the APs so that there are new AP categories that have different benefits and blockouts and they suspend sales/renewals of the old AP tiers to force people into the new APs. Basically, anything so they can change the blockout calendars without having to go back and change them after they've published it.

I suspect we will see new pricing AND a new set of rules for AP's (possible new AP's or elimination of other ones) before the beginning of June. This way, no one will be visiting Star Wars land with currently available APs (and their associated black out calendars).

Do you think this applies to the Signature, Sig Plus and Premium too? Those who have the inside "know"?

Those passes are already SO much...but of course I understand there's no Disney Ceiling :roll eyes:

I suspect we will see new pricing AND a new set of rules for AP's (possible new AP's or elimination of other ones) before the beginning of June. This way, no one will be visiting Star Wars land with currently available APs (and their associated black out calendars).

This is why I was wondering about the "expiration date" on new AP vouchers purchased online right now. A CM on the phone told me they expire at the end of this year even though the tickets purchased on the website right now say they expire 12/31/2019. I was wondering if the APs have a shorter redeem by date since the annual passes are likely to change again soon. I haven't bought a voucher online myself since the price increase so I haven't verified if what the CM said is correct.

I just hope any more price increases happen after we renew in July - I'd hate to have two increases before I could renew!

This is why I was wondering about the "expiration date" on new AP vouchers purchased online right now. A CM on the phone told me they expire at the end of this year even though the tickets purchased on the website right now say they expire 12/31/2019. I was wondering if the APs have a shorter redeem by date since the annual passes are likely to change again soon. I haven't bought a voucher online myself since the price increase so I haven't verified if what the CM said is correct.

That's interesting. I have never purchased an AP voucher either, so I don't know. I *think*, though, that even the vouchers have some language in them about certain aspects of the AP being "subject to change without notice." I do think that regardless of when you BUY a ticket, you will be held to the rules that exist the day you ACTIVATE that ticket. So, if things change with the AP program between now and when you finally activate an AP voucher, they very well could tell you "that AP doesn't exist anymore" and potentially take the value you paid and apply it to the purchase of an AP that does exist (if they remove APs altogether). Otherwise, things like the blockout calendar are ALWAYS "subject to change."

We happened to renew the day before the price increase in February (don't know how we lucked out there!) at the park ticket booths and our APs are good through February 5, 2019. It would be a real bummer if they started hiking the price AND changing the AP to less than a full year....can't quite call it Annual then, right? But maybe that's the trend here? "Passes"...not APs.

That's interesting. I have never purchased an AP voucher either, so I don't know. I *think*, though, that even the vouchers have some language in them about certain aspects of the AP being "subject to change without notice." I do think that regardless of when you BUY a ticket, you will be held to the rules that exist the day you ACTIVATE that ticket. So, if things change with the AP program between now and when you finally activate an AP voucher, they very well could tell you "that AP doesn't exist anymore" and potentially take the value you paid and apply it to the purchase of an AP that does exist (if they remove APs altogether). Otherwise, things like the blockout calendar are ALWAYS "subject to change."

When they eliminated premium APs, what they did is gave you a signature plus AP if you showed up with a non-expired premium AP voucher. It was the closest equivalent as both were the top-tier passes with no black out dates. If they continue to offer a pass with no black out dates, then I would guess they would do the same type of thing. They could of course decide to include black out dates on all tiers of passes. They could rename all the passes. They could change the terms of the passes. There is indeed fine print about subject to change without notice which applies not only to a purchases voucher but even an AP already activated and in use. Black out dates, discounts, etc. can change even after published.

We happened to renew the day before the price increase in February (don't know how we lucked out there!) at the park ticket booths and our APs are good through February 5, 2019. It would be a real bummer if they started hiking the price AND changing the AP to less than a full year....can't quite call it Annual then, right? But maybe that's the trend here? "Passes"...not APs.

No. That's not what I meant. When you buy a new annual pass ahead of time such as online, the voucher you get is not an active AP. It has an expiration date listed on it by which you are supposed to redeem it. Once you turn in the voucher, you activate your AP and get a full year from that date. So for example you could buy an AP voucher now with an expiration date of 12/31/2018 and then activate it tomorrow. The AP would have an expiration date of 4/11/2019 in that case.

I had simply been wondering if the reported 12/31/2018 use by date was accurate or if the activation date was perhaps later.

So, if things change with the AP program between now and when you finally activate an AP voucher, they very well could tell you "that AP doesn't exist anymore" and potentially take the value you paid and apply it to the purchase of an AP that does exist (if they remove APs altogether)."
When they introduced the Signature Plus and got rid of the previous no-blackout-date AP (premium?), I believe that the Signature Plus cost more than the old AP, but they were the closest comparison in terms of benefits, so people who had already purchased vouchers for the ?premium? AP got the Signature Plus without having to pay the difference. If you purchase a voucher for a pass that no longer exists when you go to activate, and the closest equivalent costs more, I don't think they'll make you pay the difference. If they do, they would have to also offer you the option of a refund since you never agreed to the higher price. If things change so radically that there isn't really an equivalent pass anymore, I think they'd have to go ahead and keep issuing the old passes to those who already purchased vouchers.

When they introduced the Signature Plus and got rid of the previous no-blackout-date AP (premium?), I believe that the Signature Plus cost more than the old AP, but they were the closest comparison in terms of benefits, so people who had already purchased vouchers for the ?premium? AP got the Signature Plus without having to pay the difference. If you purchase a voucher for a pass that no longer exists when you go to activate, and the closest equivalent costs more, I don't think they'll make you pay the difference. If they do, they would have to also offer you the option of a refund since you never agreed to the higher price. If things change so radically that there isn't really an equivalent pass anymore, I think they'd have to go ahead and keep issuing the old passes to those who already purchased vouchers.

Tagging on to comment that that was my interest in the AP voucher expiration dates. If you redeem before the expiration date on the voucher, then I think this is what they do even if pass types have changed. If you redeem after the expiration date on the voucher though, it only works as a credit of value paid toward an AP of equal or greater cost. So an expired voucher for a signature plus AP can be used toward a signature plus AP but because it's expired, you have to pay any price difference since between when you bought and redeemed the voucher. If you redeem before expiration, you've locked in that item or an existing equivalent and don't have to pay any additional cost because you are still as the customer following the terms and conditions of when you bought the voucher.

Any speculation as to why they are doing two price increases in the same calendar year as opposed to just doing it all at once? I wonder if it’s possible that the next round is just changes to blackout calendars rather than price increases?

Wouldn't be surprised if some passes go the way that the CM main entrance passes have gone and have certain days with only DCA available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter