Tijuana

Emell64

Earning My Ears
My family and I (me, DH, DD11, and DS7) are going to California in early December for 8 days. (We're Canadians)

We told her DD that we would spend one day and cross into Mexico for the day. She was thrilled. Our plan was to drive our rented car to the border and then cross by foot. We had no real plans but just thought we'd spend a few hours walking around...maybe have lunch and buy a little souvenir or something. Just to say we've been......

But, we've been rethinking this and wondering if this is not such a great idea. We're a bit worried about the safety in walking around Tijuana. We also are worried that we'll get caught up at the border.....we are travelling on Canadian passports. All in all, is this a stupid idea? :p

If this is a bad idea, then what should we do with our extra day? We're already spending 1 day at Legoland, 3 days at Disney, 1 day at the Getty Villa, 2 days seeing Hollywood/Los Angeles and we don't really want to go to the San Diego Zoo.

I'd appreciate any input.

Emelle

ugh...skip Tijuana, especially with kids. :sad2: It will leave all of you with a pretty negative impression of Mexico.

I would spend the day in San Diego. There is a great Maritime Museum, shopping at Seaport Village, the new Aircraft Carrier museum looks cool, although I haven't been. And even if you don't want to see the zoo, Balboa Park is beautiful with all sorts of other museums worth visiting. There is also Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, with fun shops and activities. I can think of a lot of things that I would much prefer to going down to Tijuana, particularly with kids in tow.

While Tijuana makes me nervous (Yep, I'll admit that it does), my kids love it. My daughter thought it was so fun to go and buy things there... she really did like it, and she thinks it's cool to say she's been to "Mexico".
The border... the lines to get back into the USA might be a little bit long... so don't plan on walking through it in 5 minutes or anything... but it's something I think everyone should do at least once...

Kids don't see the filth, the social/economic, or poverty as we adults do. If you do decide to take your family, be sure to keep them close to you and be sure you have ALL appropriate documentation to get back to the U.S..

As for Tijuana I totally disagree with the other posters. I have lived in san diego for 30 years and always take family down there when they come, its safe and not scary at all. Just don't drive..... walk or take a taxi and stay close to the border (revolution st) you can have fun eat and shop, and not get kidnapped and robbed!!!!! it will be okay have fun!!! PM me with any questions I am more then happy to help you have a good time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter