Time to rant...

Have always found that we need to allow close the the full 90 minutes, especially for resort-resort transport for dining reservations. There are too many variables in Disney transportation to try to allow less. Even for a reservation at Cali Grill when staying at Poly, we allow an hour or so, arrive early, and enjoy the hotel or bar. We haven't had the opportunity to try Minnie Vans yet but looking forward to it. Staying in the "bubble" has it's advantages, but to us saving time isn't one of them, it's more about relaxing and molding our plans around getting places without a time crunch.

Since we live in NY we always fly down and use a Town car to get to Disney from the airport we are at the mercy of Disney transportation. That said we have started to do split stays so that we can avoid the buses as much as we can. On our last trip we spent most of our trip at the BC to do EPCOT and HS either walking or taking the boat. Then we went to the WL and took the boat to the MK. The day we do AK I try to book a very early breakfast at the AKL and take the bus to the AK park from there. We take a taxi to the AKL. We seldom go to DS but would take a bus there and if I book a hotel for dinner we take an Uber or taxi there. This seems to work for us and eliminates the worry over the buses.

I think the 90 minute allotment for a bus is ridiculous. If you stay at a resort, go to a park in the morning, park hop, go to a dinner reservation and then go back to the resort (which is something we do a lot) that is 6 hours set aside for getting around the park. A substantial part of a freaking day.

I agree that if the total travel time was always 90 minutes it would be ridiculous. But that's not the norm. Even the OP was complaining about a 45 minutes wait, not 90 minutes total travel. (Don't think they mentioned total time.)

That 90-minute allotment is just so that IN CASE something happens you can't complain because you were forewarned that "things happen" that could lengthen the travel time. It's up to you to decide if you want to take that chance with an ADR or FP time constraint.

We've always hired a car unless we were going to epcot or downtown Disney and knew we'd be having a few drinks. Our last trip was 2012 and we never had any major issues with the buses. We stay at all star sports so did also use the bus to get to blizzard beach as it's 5 mins away, but now having to go to Disney springs first means a 5 min journey will take closer to 45 mins! If the service jad deteriorated that much I think we'll be looking at getting the odd Uber...

I don't think the buses are any worse than they used to be. They're usually every 20 minutes or so, with some outliers.

We actually waited 90 minutes for a Downtown Disney bus from OKW about 15 years ago. They're right next to each other! I will never forget how ridiculous that wait was.

Have always found that we need to allow close the the full 90 minutes, especially for resort-resort transport for dining reservations. There are too many variables in Disney transportation to try to allow less. Even for a reservation at Cali Grill when staying at Poly, we allow an hour or so, arrive early, and enjoy the hotel or bar. We haven't had the opportunity to try Minnie Vans yet but looking forward to it. Staying in the "bubble" has it's advantages, but to us saving time isn't one of them, it's more about relaxing and molding our plans around getting places without a time crunch.
Resort to resort is a whole different animal. Definitely have to allot more time for that.

I agree that if the total travel time was always 90 minutes it would be ridiculous. But that's not the norm. Even the OP was complaining about a 45 minutes wait, not 90 minutes total travel. (Don't think they mentioned total time.)

That 90-minute allotment is just so that IN CASE something happens you can't complain because you were forewarned that "things happen" that could lengthen the travel time. It's up to you to decide if you want to take that chance with an ADR or FP time constraint.

The point is that too frequently the time it takes is closer way longer than 20 mins.

As one poster said if you have to account for 3 hours just to get too and from a Park than that is way too long.

Don’t promote it as an amenity if that’s the service you are going to provide.

Let me engage my traffic engineer brain for a moment and think about multi-modal travel time from All-Star Music to the Crystal Palace for an ADR under three different scenarios to illustrate the need for reasonable planning. FYI, none of these involve waiting 40 minutes for a bus, which for argument's sake we'll assume is a low-percentage occurrence among the hundreds of stops buses make around WDW every day. And for heaven's sake, this illustration is for fun!

On a Perfect Day
The bus shows up the second you walk up to the All-Star Music stop. The bus takes you directly to MK, with no stops at other resorts. From All-Star Music to the MK bus stops is 6 miles, which at 35 mph is about 10.5 minutes, with no delays/red lights. From the MK bus stop to security is 1000ft, which at a comfortable walk is about 3.5 minutes. You have no bag check, and there is no line at the metal detector (woo-hoo!), so you cruise right through turnstiles with no wait, under the train station, and onto Main Street USA 90 seconds later. The Crystal Palace is another 900ft walk away, and you're there in just over 3 minutes, all while singing birds land on your shoulder and CMs applaud your arrival. Perfect Day time is about 19 minutes.

On a Reasonably Good Day
You show up to the All-Star Music stop 10 minutes after a bus just left, and another bus shows up 10 minutes later. The bus is on a loop and makes a couple of other stops, so throw in 5 minutes (assuming no nightmarish CBR scenarios). The trip to MK doesn't have any traffic jams, but there are a couple of red lights at the intersections in between, say 12 minutes. Getting off the bus with strollers, getting set up, and moving to MK security, say 5 minutes. There is a reasonable line at security, and you are carrying bags, how about 5 minutes? That delay carries through to getting past the turnstiles, another 5 minutes. Walking to Crystal Palace through a moderate crowd is about 5 minutes, and you hear a bird chirp somewhere above you as a CM recommends you to have a magical day. Reasonable Day time is about 47 minutes. That 45-minute expectation is doable, but no room for any unexpected day.

"You Were Bad in a Previous Life" Day
You watch the tail-lights of the bus pull away as you reach the resort stop, and another arrives 20 minutes later. Buses are crowded and full of strollers, so the other stops on the loop take a bit longer, 10 minutes. There is a moderate traffic jam on World Drive, 20 minutes. Walk from bus to security with strollers, still 5 minutes. Security bag/stroller check is a longer line, 10 minutes. Line through the turnstiles, 10 minutes. Slogging through level-10 crowds to Crystal Palace is 8 minutes, and the birds are silent as a pop-up thunderstorm sends CMs ducking for cover. Bad Karma time is about 83 minutes.

Now, you could rightfully dispute any of my travel time assumptions, but what I'm trying to impress upon is more about orders of magnitude among these three scenarios. My family loves staying at WDW resorts, and we use the buses and boats every time we stay, but if we are on one side of WDW and need to get to the other... yeah, we're leaving ourselves 80 to 90 minutes to do so, just in case.

After my last bus experience I will never take one again. Not only was the wait crazy long the bus was absolutely freezing! This was from Disney Springs to AK. The only day we took busses. We took two more that day. Waits bad but not terrible. However all busses were so cold I was almost crying and it took hours before I could shake the chill.

I'm somewhat amused at all of the posters swearing off the buses. Just means they'll be less crowded for my family when we get down there! Of course, it's not really the crowds on the bus that are the point of this thread, but the frequency of said buses...

I'm somewhat amused at all of the posters swearing off the buses. Just means they'll be less crowded for my family when we get down there! Of course, it's not really the crowds on the bus that are the point of this thread, but the frequency of said buses...
Like you, I use the buses.

For our situation, buses are the best option.

Fewer people on the bus is a bonus for me.

I feel your pain and exactly why I don't consider the bus service a perk of staying on property. We stay at my in-laws time share and rent a car when we're in FL. I know some love staying on property and are okay with not having a car, but for my family that doesn't work. I can't imagine not being able to leave the park exactly when I wanted to because I am stuck waiting for a bus. Especially with kids! We have considered staying on property a couple times, but if we did, I would want to still rent a car to have control over when I am getting somewhere. I certainly don't need that extra frustration! You will get all sorts of differing opinions on this of course, but I agree with your thoughts!

the only benefits in my mind to staying on property are... 1)Extra Magic Hours and 2) Transportation.

I don't disagree that 40 minutes waiting for a bus is too long. We were there most recently last week of August and had a few 30 minute waits early in the morning, but I don't think it's typical necessarily. For us, in addition to the on-property perks you mention, we also like the dining plan and the ability to send purchases back to the room. We use DME too, as we are not local. For us, the transportation being sometimes iffy is something we can tolerate as at trade-off to the other benefits. But for someone who doesn't utilize the benefits, I can see where the transportation would be enough to drive you away from on property resorts.

Why not put those screens in the rooms so you don’t have to wait at the stop for 40 mins. You can see when it should arrive and leave your room aacordingly.

They should make it available on the MDE app. There must be a way to funnel that data to it. Then you could check it from anywhere.

I agree, and think that would be great. Wouldn't be surprised if we get it on the MDE app in the future. But one thing I did notice on the screens is how frequently the arrival times adjust. I'm glad they are adjusting in real time presumably, but we sometimes saw as much as 10 minute adjustments. If you're in your room monitoring the projected arrival times and it suddenly jumps 5-10 minutes up and you aren't paying attention, I am guessing they will have a lot of angry guests who are missing buses on their hands.

I know it was a holiday week last week, but I did find the buses TO the parks from resorts to be slow. We waited about 25 minutes each time. The DS bus was quick and seemed to be frequent. We only had to bus to MK and HS, so we got lucky there. Epcot resorts are wonderful for location.

The point is that too frequently the time it takes is closer way longer than 20 mins.

I guess I don't agree that it frequently is closer to way longer than 20 minutes to wait for a bus to go from a resort to the parks. I don't think that's the norm. It's never been my experience in all the time that we've stayed a Disney, and we go for ten days to the parks each time we go.

All this being said I don't think anyone should have to wait twenty minutes for a bus to come. They have to improve it. No one should have to wait more than 10-15 minutes.

This has me bemoaning the loss of Express Transportation between parks. What a fabulous service it was.

We stay at a deluxe and could boat/walk to our morning park and use Express Bus to park hop! Don't remember ever busing from the resort last time, only back in the evening from AK. We even used Express to get back to MK just to boat back to the hotel. Something about scheduled departures made things so nice.

Bring the service back...Please!

We spent like $150/ night to stay at the All Star resort that trip. I think id rather put that $150 to a room off property with a nicer bed and just a better room overall.

For me "Disney Bubble" means nothing if the bed is small and uncomfortable and the room is older and lets just say not "magical."

I think everyone knows what they are getting into at those resorts and maybe being in that bubble and the lower price point is the reason to stay there. Im just getting to the point where I feel im sacrificing too much for it all.

After several bad experiences with busses (both park buses and Magical Express) we always rent our own car now (we fly down) regardless of whether we are staying on or off property. We have done this the past 3 trips and it is SO MUCH BETTER. I will never go back. We do not find the driving and parking to be stressful at all. We rope drop so when we arrive in the morning it is an easy walk to TTC or the other 3 park entrances. We keep a cooler of water bottles on ice in the trunk for the drive home. Everyone has their own comfy seat, we have full radio and thermostat control, we can go straight from the airport to the park or grocery store if desired, we don't have to leave 3 hours early for the return flight and absolutely NO waiting in line to board a bus (because there is more than enough of that already.) I will never go back to buses. $200 for a rental car in the grand scheme of a WDW vacation is nothing.

Sometimes we use the buses and sometimes we don’t. Depends on what resort and if we drove or flew. We have had some long bus waits here or there but nothing to completely scare us off from using them.

I will say that Disney resorts are much more than extra magic hours and bus service to us.

We love Disney resorts in general. We love the one on Hilton Head Island, we love the one in Vero Beach, we love Aulani. None of which offer bus service to parks or offer extra magic hours benefits. But they still offer plenty of magic.

We love feeling immersed in Disney. We love that cast members go above and beyond to serve guests. We are DVC because of this. While it’s not a tangible benefit, there is a feeling that we get when we are staying at a Disney hotel that cannot be compared elsewhere. We’ve tried.

I worked at a Disney resort as a CP and worked with other CPs and non CP CMs who truly cared about their roles and the guests they served. Seeing the way it worked from the inside reinforced my love for Disney resorts.

Fully prepared for people to tell me I’m just drinking the Disney kool-aid but I do not care :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter