Tipping at QS/CS and who gets CC tips

SusanDK

DIS Veteran
Just curious about this, with no intention of being cheap and wanting to do the right thing next time.

We stopped at Baseline Tap House at Studios for lunch - just got a charcuterie board, almonds and and beer flight to share. I paid with my credit card and the total was just under $30 (including tax) so I added $3 as a tip. It's not table service, you just order at the counter and find your own table, so I thought a tip should not be required but gave 10% as a courtesy.

After I got home and was tossing out receipts, I noticed that the receipt showed a recommendation for either an 18% or 20% tip. I hadn't noticed it when I signed the receipt and just added my own tip, which I didn't think was necessarily miserly nor even required since it is counter service. I'm usually a really generous tipper at ca. 20%+ for wait staff, especially when at a moderately priced restaurant with table service.

What do others do at a place like Baseline Tap House or similar regarding tipping?

I'm also curious as to who gets those tips once the credit card is run. Does anyone know if tips go to the specific cast member who served you, are tips pooled and shared among cast members, or do tips get consolidated and swept up by Disney?

I kind of assumed you are tipping the bartender/server behind the counter in these cases but I wouldn't be surprised if they are pooled at most Disney sites as pooling tips seems quite the norm these days. I'm curious to know if anyone knows for sure though.

But at Baseline I tipped like I did if I ordered drinks or food at a bar which is pretty much the same as if at a TS restaurant.

Everything is changing so not sure if this is still current… a couple years ago tipped positions like Baseline paid $5/hr.

Thank you. I didn't realize Baseline was a tipped position. Now I feel bad. Although the place was packed and the cast member probably served 20 groups before me during the half hour or so that I was in queue, so if everyone tipped like me, he would have a pretty significant hourly rate!

I tipped 20% on my bill at Baseline (mostly out of habit because I always tip at least 20%) and my husband laughed and said I "over tipped" :confused3 I think if you left 10% that is probably fine and on par with what a lot of people do.

I am a fairly generous tipper. At any counter service establishment where I am ordering at a counter and taking my food to a table myself I will tip 10%. If I am seated at a bar with ongoing "service" I will tip more like a TS, but at Baseline 10% is appropriate unless you feel you want to give more. Not all tipped positions are equal. They have a much higher turnover rate than a TS tipped position.

I kind of assumed you are tipping the bartender/server behind the counter in these cases but I wouldn't be surprised if they are pooled at most Disney sites as pooling tips seems quite the norm these days. I'm curious to know if anyone knows for sure though.

But at Baseline I tipped like I did if I ordered drinks or food at a bar which is pretty much the same as if at a TS restaurant.
We usually tip 20% just like at a TS. don't mind tipping higher if they take good care of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter