Tipping when staying on points.

I worked as a server 20 years ago. The rule then was all tips were taxed. If IRS might be alerted that the proper amount was not reported if 8% of the sales was not reported. This 8 % would be on cash sales. The server should report all Credit card sales and automatic % tips plus at least 8 % of what was paid in cash or justify why they did not make 8 %.
It was real easy to calculate, just report what you actually made.

Several of my coworkers did not report the correct amount. They had to pay fines.

What is different in 2014?

It is probably a coincidence but we always tip housekeeping AND we almost always get the same housekeepers at BWV. When we have 2049 (HA 1 bedroom) we always have our wonderful Nazareen who checks with us everyday to see if we need anything. When I travel without DH and don't need a HA room, I request upper floor at BWV and almost always get 5th and our wonderful Alcina who also checks in to see what we need. We love this personal touch that makes us feel a part of the BWV community.
I admit to being someone who takes great pleasure in the smiles I get from tipping when it is not expected (e.g. the county compost site attendant at home or a theme park toilet attendant at WDW). It is rather like the Random Acts of Kindness philosophy that I think makes the world just a tiny bit nicer place to be. I do not pretend that there is any logic whatsoever to my tipping. It is from my heart not my head.

I worked as a server 20 years ago. The rule then was all tips were taxed. If IRS might be alerted that the proper amount was not reported if 8% of the sales was not reported. This 8 % would be on cash sales. The server should report all Credit card sales and automatic % tips plus at least 8 % of what was paid in cash or justify why they did not make 8 %.
It was real easy to calculate, just report what you actually made.

Several of my coworkers did not report the correct amount. They had to pay fines.

What is different in 2014?
As I understand it, it's mainly the difference between collected and reported plus when you get it might vary. Where for tips you take it home today, with the service charge you'd get with your regular paycheck in most cases as I'm understanding it. The other question, which I've gotten conflicting reports on from different restaurant managers, is whether the company has to pay their portion of the FICA on a TIP, they would for certain have to with the "service charge".

\I do not pretend that there is any logic whatsoever to my tipping. It is from my heart not my head.
Thanks for the confirmation, at least you know that's where you are. Personally, I need structure.

It is rather like the Random Acts of Kindness philosophy that I think makes the world just a tiny bit nicer place to be. I do not pretend that there is any logic whatsoever to my tipping. It is from my heart not my head.

You have expressed exactly why I tip housekeeping. There is no rhyme or reason to the amount I tip, it's just what I feel like doing.

I tip in regular hotels, and I leave a tip at the end of our DVC stay. I agree, there's no right or wrong answer, so OP, just do what you feel like.

As I understand it, it's mainly the difference between collected and reported plus when you get it might vary. Where for tips you take it home today, with the service charge you'd get with your regular paycheck in most cases as I'm understanding it. The other question, which I've gotten conflicting reports on from different restaurant managers, is whether the company has to pay their portion of the FICA on a TIP, they would for certain have to with the "service charge".

Thanks for the confirmation, at least you know that's where you are. Personally, I need structure.

Thanks Dean. That makes a lot of since, especially the Fica part. I think in the past the restaurant had to claim fica on all reported tips. That might be why they did not enforce claiming tips.

After reading all the previouse post, If restaurants just paid minimum wage I wonder how people would then tip then.

As far as housekeeping. I do tip for exceptional service, which is always.
If in Concierge at AKL, I start with a few dollars for a studio and add an additional dollar for each night. So if night one is $8, night 5 is up to $12. Just seems more fun if the amount increases every night. The last day may be a bit extra. My last house keeper was so happy to get tipped (oh yea, its in Disney Dollars). She was going to give them to her daughter when they go to DW parks. Made me very happy.

Thanks Dean. That makes a lot of since, especially the Fica part. I think in the past the restaurant had to claim fica on all reported tips. That might be why they did not enforce claiming tips.

After reading all the previouse post, If restaurants just paid minimum wage I wonder how people would then tip then.

As far as housekeeping. I do tip for exceptional service, which is always.
If in Concierge at AKL, I start with a few dollars for a studio and add an additional dollar for each night. So if night one is $8, night 5 is up to $12. Just seems more fun if the amount increases every night. The last day may be a bit extra. My last house keeper was so happy to get tipped (oh yea, its in Disney Dollars). She was going to give them to her daughter when they go to DW parks. Made me very happy.
I'm certainly not an authority on tip reporting and taxes but when this first came up, I did do a fair amount of investigation and I've talked to maybe 7 or 8 GM's at various restaurants since then. My online investigation suggested that the restaurant paid the employer taxes on reported tips. Talking to GM's, it's not been clear that they do and I've asked most of them. We're often in restaurants very early or late lunch or very early dinner so I often get the chance to monopolize the managers without actually interrupting too much. It must be enough of a cost to get their attention as many large companies that were charging mandatory tips are moving toward stopping that process.

As I understand it, the rule was always in place. For a tip to be truly a tip under IRS rules, it had to be voluntary as I understand it. On a side note, I've done some digging into tips on food deliveries and that's an area that's even more variable and chaotic from what I can see. It appears my inquiries of our people at work may have triggered them to realize they should be tipping when they weren't and hadn't even thought about. I'm not sure where it's gone or if they've actually started doing so though.

My tipping for housekeeping is similar to yours. Concierge is a different animal certainly. My view of exceptional service is when they do their job well AND do something else specific and special for us. I don't tip simply for them doing the cleaning even if they do it well. I do find they often do special things though.

I left $5 when we stayed at WLV on points. When I get daily maid service I usually leave $2-$3 a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter