Tips for navigating the airport with a large group (and multiple children)?

Angelboys3

Mouseketeer
Now that we're travelling next month I'm starting to get nervous about the logistics of flying with 14 people. Any tips/tricks/whatever to get through the airport and flight? We will have 4 younger children, 4 adults and 6 teens/young adults. We're flying SW so no assigned seating. I'm planning for my sister and I to board during family boarding with the 4 littles to hopefully be able to sit together, aiming for the back of the plane for proximity to the bathrooms AND so when it's time to deplane we can go last and not hold up the rest of the passengers as we gather our herd. The rest of the group will board at their assigned position and hopefully at least be able to sit in groups of 2. Are young children allowed to sit in window seats as long as it isn't an exit row? We wanted to do the children in window and middle and the adult in the aisle seat to prevent the temptation to get up and go visit siblings lol. We're taking 1 double stroller with us and gate checking it. Ideas for quiet games or something for them to do both on the flight and while waiting in the airport? The littles range in age from 2-7. If we take snacks, do we have to take it out when going through the security checkpoint? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

I've never navigated with a group that large, but my extended family is ginormous.
One adult needs to be point on their people AND ONLY THEIR PEOPLE so that nobody thinks everybody else is watching cousin billy when cousin billy decides to get a snack from an airport shop.
This rule is in effect from the time you get out of your transportation to the airport until you get to your destination at MCO.

Everyone with a smartphone needs their ticket on their smart phone, it just makes it faster.

Don't worry about the big herd, only focus on your herd. If you focus on your herd, you're less likely to leave Kevin behind in the house when you're going to Paris or lose him in NYC on the way to Florida.

Now that we're travelling next month I'm starting to get nervous about the logistics of flying with 14 people. Any tips/tricks/whatever to get through the airport and flight? We will have 4 younger children, 4 adults and 6 teens/young adults. We're flying SW so no assigned seating. I'm planning for my sister and I to board during family boarding with the 4 littles to hopefully be able to sit together, aiming for the back of the plane for proximity to the bathrooms AND so when it's time to deplane we can go last and not hold up the rest of the passengers as we gather our herd. The rest of the group will board at their assigned position and hopefully at least be able to sit in groups of 2. Are young children allowed to sit in window seats as long as it isn't an exit row? We wanted to do the children in window and middle and the adult in the aisle seat to prevent the temptation to get up and go visit siblings lol. We're taking 1 double stroller with us and gate checking it. Ideas for quiet games or something for them to do both on the flight and while waiting in the airport? The littles range in age from 2-7. If we take snacks, do we have to take it out when going through the security checkpoint? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
I think your plan is the best, have the moms and the little ones in the back, this way everyone is getting off that plane. Have the teens board second and the rest of the adults last so that all are on the plane. Just remember when sitting in the last few rows, if your flight is more than 3 hours, there will always be people standing next to your seat as they are in line for the bathroom that goes about 3-5 rows from the back of the plane.
1). Young kids can sit at the window and are not allowed to sit anywhere in an emergency exit row.
2). Quiet games in the airport, bring uno cards (get the disney ones), also the Free "Play Disney" App has trivia games for the kids.
3). Snacks, yes pack them in the carry-ons. They stay inside the carry-on. Avoid opening up packaged snacks or using ziplock bags, this may delay. We have had open bags of candy thrown away and other times it gets through. We found Orlando to be stricter and more time than our airport in Newark, NJ because almost every party in Orlando has kids. So get to the airport 2.5-3 hours before at MCO, not kidding, we were in line for over an hour at Orlando in early July.

I’d love to know the southwest policy out of MCO - the last time we flew out the family line was longer than regular boarding- they were very strict, and many of the “extra” members had to board in regular position. But.have they changed the policy

I’d love to know the southwest policy out of MCO - the last time we flew out the family line was longer than regular boarding- they were very strict, and many of the “extra” members had to board in regular position. But.have they changed the policy
I guess we will find out next month lol. We definitely don't plan on trying to take too many through when family boarding. It will be 1 mom and 2 littles per fam. The rest of our group knows they have to board at their regular assigned spots.

I’d treat it like a school field trip, each adult is assigned a couple kids. I assume the your teens/young adults are responsible enough to handle themselves so 4 adults and 4 kids shouldn’t be too hard to manage. Head counts from time to time will help you ensure no one wondered off.

check for sure that you can gate check the double stroller. as for the littles are any going to be in a carseat as that has to be in window seat. something you have not mentioned but try to have some of your group sitting in front of littles that might be inclined to kick seat in front of them. also have shoes that are easy on and off and take them off of kickers once on plane. be prepared to take snacks out at security may or may not happen. also plan on getting drinks after security even if you plan on sippy cups. toddlers you can usually get drinks thru but it can be opened and tested but with older ones you might not get thru with drinks. also remember littles will need to keep seatbelt on until sign goes off if it does and again what seems like a longer time for landing. 2 year old will not be able to be held while sign is on. have a copy of birth certificate for any under 2 if that applies and they are the only ones who would need

Please update us on how this worked out. I’m curious if there was family boarding from your airport, and for the non-family boarders if they were able to find seats together.

Are you bringing car seats? Did you get early bird for any members of your party?

Please update us on how this worked out. I’m curious if there was family boarding from your airport, and for the non-family boarders if they were able to find seats together.

Are you bringing car seats? Did you get early bird for any members of your party?
I’ll update after our trip. Not bringing car seats and no early bird (we’re traveling under a group booking so early bird is not available).

MCO: July 8, 2022. They threw away my daughter's bag of opened gummy bears. The guard thew that out, went through the bag and threw out the candy. He said "these candies are considered gels and this bag was over 3 oz." I didn't fight it, the guy was bigger than me.:duck:
Yea, that would depend on my mood, how large the bag was, and how much time I had before my flight on whether I fought it or not.

You never said how many families there are in this group of 14. I don't see any reason to try to keep everyone together at the airport. Typically airports are fairly congested, so you might get separated or it may take some longer to get through security then others. I would allocate the children among the 4 adults so then you are talking about 4 different groups which makes it more manageable. Divide up the 6 teens/young adults among the adults in whatever grouping makes the most sense.

Upon arrival at MCO, I would plan to meet up at the baggage claim area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter