Tips for "new" things to do at MK

knlasv

Mouseketeer
I'll only be at WDW for 1 day in May so we are going to MK of course!
Been their so many times, but I know there is still adventures to be had!
What are your favorite things to do at MK that aren't as well known? Certain menu items? Attractions? Best kept secrets?

Not quite sure that there are any best kept secrets at any of the parks but we do have things we always like to do/eat. We like to sit on the rocking chairs back in liberty square, to the left of the bridge from the hub. They're tucked away and behind the christmas shop and most always nobody is back there. Even if you can't get a chair, it's peaceful back there. We also always like to get the different egg rolls from the cart in adventureland. It's a variety but the cheeseburger flavor are our favorite. We grab a few of those and sit back there, it's nice. We also like to visit the Cinderella wishing well by the castle. That's always a fun photo opp along with the fountain on the backside of the castle.

Well these might be lame and they aren't necessarily favorites, BUT if I had to name some stuff....

Take one of the different transportation options down Main Street
Go to Tom Sawyer Island and go into the caves. Really! They are cool. And go to the escape route out of the fort.
Find the hidden Pascals in the Tangled area
Look for hidden mickeys. Find a website that lists a bunch in a particular land and go into that land and see how many you can find.
Find the ring in the HM queue
Ride stuff maybe you've never done.... the Liberty Belle, the Carousel, Country Bears, Barnstormer...
Go into the barber shop just to see what it looks like.
The apple pie caramel apple is generally the CMs most favorite of the apples - try that, if you haven't.

Well, there's some new ride over near Space Mountain - not sure if people have been talking about that. 😉

I'd take a look at the Halfway to Halloween special milkshake at Columbia Harbor House:
  • Happy Haunts Milk Shake: Blackberry milkshake topped with a purple chocolate-glazed doughnut covered with black sprinkles
h2h473813987r42792378.jpg

I'd get that!

Last edited:
I like seeing all the different angles of MK. Would be fun to do Astro Orbiter, Peoplemover, TRON, Railroad, Dumbo, Carpets, Thunder Mtn. Watch the fireworks from a new spot, like behind the castle. Mobile Order from Sleep Hollow.

We like to theme most visits. Some have focused around pictures and characters, all the shows, food game, etc. It’d be fun to gear a day at MK around perspective.

My daughter loved doing the pirate treasure map/scavenger hunt. After you complete the map you get a card as a souvineir. . I think there’s like 5 different treasure maps. I had fun too!

Watch the fireworks from a new spot, like behind the castle.

Yes and no to this location.

We were back there once and were dodging falling debris until CMs came through ushering people further away. Apparently, there were stronger winds above the castle that night, blowing the debris further than usual.

It was pretty spooky. Some were baseball-sized chunks.

Hard to say since we don't know what you know. But, I go often and every trip always try to either ride a ride or see a show or explore a different area that I either haven't done before or haven't done in a long time. I've been going since 1983 and still haven't done everything, mostly the rides in New FantasyLand. I was there in April and I did the Tiki Room for the first time. Seriously, I have at least 30 trips under my belt and had never done the Tiki Room. I also did Philharmonic for the first time in at least 10 years.

I'll throw something even more radical out to you. If you feel like you've seen/done most of what there is to see/do at MK, go to a different park. There is no rule that says you have to go to MK.

We like to sit on the rocking chairs back in liberty square, to the left of the bridge from the hub. They're tucked away and behind the christmas shop and most always nobody is back there. Even if you can't get a chair, it's peaceful back there.
Thank you for this idea! I am not sure we have checked that spot out before.

Thanks everyone! A good mix of new things to do and some others that I have already experienced. Unfortunately for me, some of my momś favorite attractions are the ones people often skip lol (Country Bears, Tiki Room) but Ive actually never watched the fireworks from a good view in FRONT of the castle!
Looking forward to trying shooting gallery, Tom Sawyer Island, and riding something down Main Street!

I like seeing all the different angles of MK. Would be fun to do Astro Orbiter, Peoplemover, TRON, Railroad, Dumbo, Carpets, Thunder Mtn. Watch the fireworks from a new spot, like behind the castle. Mobile Order from Sleep Hollow.

We like to theme most visits. Some have focused around pictures and characters, all the shows, food game, etc. It’d be fun to gear a day at MK around perspective.
Other suggestions for fireworks watching - watch from ON outdoor rides (Magic Carpets, Peoplemover, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train) or from Ferryboat dock at TTC (last few times we were there they piped in the music).

Thanks everyone! A good mix of new things to do and some others that I have already experienced. Unfortunately for me, some of my momś favorite attractions are the ones people often skip lol (Country Bears, Tiki Room) but Ive actually never watched the fireworks from a good view in FRONT of the castle!
Looking forward to trying shooting gallery, Tom Sawyer Island, and riding something down Main Street!
My kids like all the coasters and things that spin but the older I get the less I can handle those. My faves now are POC, Country bears, the railroad, philharmagic, wedway people mover oh fudge I forget what it’s called now an d the carousel of progress. I like walking down Main St and looking at the upper windows and just feeling nostalgi. I love when we meet the mayor and the folks singing I’m walking right down the middle of Main Street USA. as a kid Tom Sawyers island was the best. It was like what I imagined when I read the books.
Do the jungle cruise and enjoy the corny jokes. Go inside the castle and marvel at the incredible detail in the murals. Have lunch at the plaza. Take in whatever show they put on in front of the castle. Maybe try the gray stuff at Be our Guest?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter