Tips for solo travel guilt (mom guilt)?

WiscoMom

Earning My Ears
I'm so close to booking my first ever solo trip. DH is highly supportive. When I get close to booking, I think of all the great times I've had with our kids (who are still young and will travel with me to WDW again some day). I really do enjoy WDW with them. But I could also use a break and some time to recharge myself.
Then I feel guilty for not bringing them, too. Can anyone share or relate to this?

I went without my kids when they were 4 and 14. It was a different kind of situation because they were overseas visiting their dad's side of the family and I was home alone. They actually don't know that I went.

I had one time on the trip that I was really sad they weren't with me (I was watching fireworks on the Poly beach) and I looked forward to the time they'd be there with me, but I must say I THOROUGHLY enjoyed my solitude.

I'm pretty much all about my kids all the time but I think this was a much-needed situation and I have no regrets. I did all sorts of things I wouldn't/couldn't do if they were there (such as the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and ALL the coasters multiple times). I also didn't even bring my bathing suit because I don't like pools/swimming at all but my son loves it. It was so nice to take a nap instead of going to the pool in the afternoons!

If you need a break as a parent, take it. I can relate to the guilt but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go!

I no longer have children at home but I do remember the unrelenting stress and work of having little ones. If you have a chance to recharge, take it. I love my children and loved having them with me but I remember looking forward to business trips (with 13-14 hour days) just to have some time away from them. Hopefully as they grow older they will understand that you are your own person and you cannot disappear into their existence for 18 years only to have that rug yanked out from under you when they develop their own independent identities.

I dream about the day my kids are old enough for me to take a solo trip. I think once they are in grade school I'll feel comfortable. Just do it and don't feel bad. It's a good lesson for them that you're a person.

I don't go solo, as my husband might love disney a bit more than I do. (how is that even possible?). Our kids are grown now, and we love going to Disney on our own. We bought DVC when they were teens, so we've gotten the most use out of it.

Disney without kids is a whole different experience. It is an absolute blast! We enjoyed our kid inclusive trips - but I think I might love the parks more without them.

My husband and I left the teens at home and took a day trip. We loved it!!!! I agree with other posters. We as parents should also enjoy doing things apart from our children that nurture our own interests as an individual. They will be adults on their own and a few days out of many years of selflessness are well deserved.

Having been solo often, id like to suggest Tune in Lounge, (HS) and Skipper Jacks Cantina(MK) are great for solo dining. Epcot has many places, France and Italy are both great to sit ,eat and breathe.
Enjoy, the kids will come next time !

Glad you booked it!

I understand the apprehension. I just recently took a solo trip (not even to Disney, just a family visit) and was still worried beforehand, but you know what - DH and DS did fine without me running the house, and even enjoyed each other's company. :)

This isn't leaving them out of a once-in-a-lifetime trip, just a different trip in between trips with them. Enjoy it!

Mine are now 19, 15, and 13 respectively...and the past few times we've brought them they complain a lot about the lines and crowds now. They still enjoy it--but it isn't the same magic as when they were little. With the newer changes Disney has made they actually preferred other vacations this year (restrictions to park hopping, long lines and can't book FP in advance, they don't have like the summer heat, etc.). It got a lot easier for us to book an adult trip this summer. We took them last summer, and heard a lot of complaining...don't get me wrong I agree with their displeasure of the "new" changes..(frankly, I think Disney is pricing out families with both the cost and the constant need to be tied to a cell phone). We are discovering our ways of doing Disney are changing now...shorter trips, more adult only trips...pros and cons...As the kids get older they are appreciating more carefree type of trips (beach house vacations, cruise, we recently did Vegas, etc.). Don't feel guilty--just go and do you:-). Parenting is sooooo hard! We love it, but its work!

I had a one day solo trip once and it was amazing. Since that time my kids have been to WDW, DL and DL Paris and having aother DL trip coming up in October. And yet I still have guilt over the fact that DH and I will be going to WDW without them in January. They have blessed with Disney multiple times but I still haven't decided if we're going to tell them because of the guilt I feel! lol

I booked! I'll be there in mid-July! Thanks to those who responded.
Hope you had/have a great trip! While I was technically in WDW with my DD and her best friend for their graduation trip, once we all did rope drop and maybe 1 ride, they were off on their own, and I was solo. I did almost all rides solo, and much eating.
It was so fun to just do what I wanted to do, rides I wanted, eat when/where I wanted, etc
I think when I really missed having folks w me was in lines. Did several 30 min or longer rides, and glad ot have a phone to keep me company, but that's when I missed others.
I also finally upped my selfie skills. I still have quite a lot of off center, half face shots, etc. but overall, got quite a few pics! I still have work to do on that tho...

I booked! I'll be there in mid-July! Thanks to those who responded.

I came to disboards just to read about solo trips. I had a trip planned for December 2023 with my daughters, but they have decided they do not want to go. They move to college 7/2023 - and they (after I booked the Universal part) decided they want to spend their first Christmas in their new apartment. I was really looking forward to it. So, now I'm debating. . .do I go alone? Would I feel nostalgic to the point of being blue? Heck, with them not going - I could change my dates to a less busy time of year - maybe even closer to Halloween as I've always wanted to see the Halloween party. But, I can't quite pull the trigger

The viewpoint that Sheilafri shared "you cannot disappear into their existence for 18 years only to have that rug yanked out from under you when they develop their own independent identities." is exactly where I'm finding myself. My children range from 18 - 40. I've been in mom mode so long, it just feels foreign to go alone. But I really want to go somewhere next year as I'm turning 60, and while no one wants to go with me. . . .if not now, when?

I'm glad to read you booked your trip. I hope you have an amazing time. . . .or had - I'm not sure if you were talking 7/2022 or 7/2023.

I came to disboards just to read about solo trips. I had a trip planned for December 2023 with my daughters, but they have decided they do not want to go. They move to college 7/2023 - and they (after I booked the Universal part) decided they want to spend their first Christmas in their new apartment. I was really looking forward to it. So, now I'm debating. . .do I go alone? Would I feel nostalgic to the point of being blue? Heck, with them not going - I could change my dates to a less busy time of year - maybe even closer to Halloween as I've always wanted to see the Halloween party. But, I can't quite pull the trigger

The viewpoint that Sheilafri shared "you cannot disappear into their existence for 18 years only to have that rug yanked out from under you when they develop their own independent identities." is exactly where I'm finding myself. My children range from 18 - 40. I've been in mom mode so long, it just feels foreign to go alone. But I really want to go somewhere next year as I'm turning 60, and while no one wants to go with me. . . .if not now, when?

I'm glad to read you booked your trip. I hope you have an amazing time. . . .or had - I'm not sure if you were talking 7/2022 or 7/2023.
If it's in the budget go on a cruise instead? Seems more solo vibe and more relaxing.

If it's in the budget go on a cruise instead? Seems more solo vibe and more relaxing.

We use to cruise a lot. And I do have a bucket list cruise (Panama Canal) that leaves out of a close port in 2024. .. I just wasn't sure about covid, etc. But, thank you for sharing your opinion/thought - I do miss cruising. And it is an enviroment with activities where you can feel as involved or as alone as you want to.

We use to cruise a lot. And I do have a bucket list cruise (Panama Canal) that leaves out of a close port in 2024. .. I just wasn't sure about covid, etc. But, thank you for sharing your opinion/thought - I do miss cruising. And it is an enviroment with activities where you can feel as involved or as alone as you want to.
How do you know itineraries that far in the future?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter