• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

tips for traveling with kids?

WebmasterLeah

DIS Veteran
Hello all! My husband and I are giving a presentation in June at our local library about traveling with kids. We have our own suggestions for things we've done with our own kids, but I'd love to get your input and tried-and-true travel tricks!

We'll be discussing traveling both by car and airplane. We'll include things like car games, books on tape, good travel snacks, apps and websites, etc. We would like a mixture of technology and non-technology ideas, as well as some things the kids can do on their own without the parents having to lead the activity.

After we give the presentation, I'll post our notes here so there's a good resource all in one place. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

- Leah

A few years ago when my boys were 3 and 5 my husband and I had to attend a couple of banquets in our local community. Since our family members were being honoured we had to bring our boys. I was scared because my boys were very active. They rarely sat still at home, how would they sit still and be quiet for this dinner and reception? My boys didn't like to draw or colour and we had no electronic games for them. I came up with an idea that help the night pass quickly and quietly. I went to the dollar store and picked up a few little toys and leftover Christmas wrapping paper. I went home and wrapped up these toys. I also wrapped up a few of their favourite toys that were small and would not make any noise. They loved Thomas the Train, so I wrapped up a bunch of the engine cars, packages of stickers, plastic bugs, snakes and animals etc. During the speeches I gave the boys something to unwrap every few minutes. They could either trade their current toy for something else to unwrap or play longer with the toy they just unwrapped. This got us through 2 hours without being too disruptive. We received multiple compliments about how well behaved they were. The boys were just as excited to see their favourite toys versus the new toys because they got to unwrap them all. I was so grateful I finally found something that the boys would sit still and quiet for. From this day on when we would have to attend an event or a 4 hour long car ride to the in-laws, I would breakout the small wrapped surprises.

Now my boys are 7 years older and have electronics games, cell phones, iPods, iPads and headphones. This is a lot less work for me, but I still miss the smiles and excitement the surprises brought.

After we give the presentation, I'll post our notes here so there's a good resource all in one place. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

We are going on 5K mile road trip from St. Louis to California and back in a couple weeks with 3 kids (13,10,6). I just started searching for ideas to help keep them entertained and I found this thread. I'm wondering if you gave the presentation yet, and if so, did you have any ideas that you wanted to share?

We are going on 5K mile road trip from St. Louis to California and back in a couple weeks with 3 kids (13,10,6). I just started searching for ideas to help keep them entertained and I found this thread. I'm wondering if you gave the presentation yet, and if so, did you have any ideas that you wanted to share?

Perfect timing! Yes, we just gave our presentation a couple weeks ago! I'll copy our notes in the next post!

Traveling with Kids

Boredom
" Rubberneckers This is a card game full of things to watch for along the road points are given when items are found. Around $11 on Amazon (also make a junior version)
" Rorys Story Cubes iphone app version and dice version available
" Travel games Battleship, etc.
" Melissa and Doug: license plate game & Hangman game
" Apps
o Mom Maps
o Hotel Tonight
o iExit
o Rest Area Finder
o Mad Libs
o Appsfire
" Metal cookie sheet tray to use with magnets
o Can cut up old freebie advertising magnets to make a tic tac toe game
" Color Wonder paper and markers
" Blank paper/Clipboard
" Crayons
o Triangle crayons to keep from rolling
o Multi-color crayon
o Store in a mini M&Ms container to keep from melting
" Books/Books on CD from library/Mad Libs, Word Search, coloring books
" Paper dolls (can also find a magnetic version to use with the cookie sheet)
" Glow sticks or flashlight
" I Spy bag/bottle
" Activity placemats
" Activity bags use paper lunch bags and put a couple things in each bag. Kids can open one bag every hour. I just use stuff from around the house, old items feel fun when they're wrapped.
o Books
o Index cards with jokes or small tasks (make math problems with number of red cars, etc.)
o Silly putty
o Pipe cleaners
o New Dollar store items
o Marshmallows with toothpicks to make sculptures
o Wrap items in foil takes a few minutes to open, plus they can sculpt with the foil
o Quarters to save up for a snack
" Stop at rest stops instead of gas stations when possible so kids can run and play. (Bring Frisbees, jump rope, sidewalk chalk, a soccer ball)
" Map/Atlas for your kids to follow along with the route
" Specific to airplanes
o Don't solely count on electronics cant be used during takeoff and landing
o Things that wont roll cant use tray tables during takeoff and landing

Bites
" Small cooler (use free ice from hotel to refill)
o String cheese
o Gogurt
o GoGo Squeez
o Fruit Tupperware of grapes, apples, clementine oranges
o Juice boxes
o Jelly for sandwiches
" Let kids pick a special snack ahead of time
" PBJ sandwiches - don't need as much refrigeration as meat sandwiches
" Hydroflasks - best water bottles ever! Keep cold drinks icy cold for 24 hours, hot drinks hot for 12 hours.
o Mio, Crystal Light singles
" Pre-fill snack baggies ahead of time
o Pretzels, raisins, homemade trail mix, cookies, mini muffins
o To keep food from crushing, reuse other boxes (like from fruit snacks) so they can be thrown away
" Give kids $2 to spend on a snack tell them how many stops you'll be making. They can spend it whenever they want, but when its gone, its gone.
" Specific to airplanes
o Things that wont roll
o No drinks until you get through security
o May not get airline snacks right away, so have something on hand
o For takeoff gum, suckers (can get sticky), fruit snacks (will take awhile to eat), sippy cups, bottles, pacis

Baggage
" Box of wipes/Kleenexes in backseat
" Extra shirts easily accessible for a quick change
" Pack into separate bags by night so you don't have to take every suitcase in at every stop.
" Note cards in outside pocket of suitcases with bags contents so you don't have to dig through every bag for things
" travelstore.ricksteves.com
o Flat Pack bags (space bags that don't need a vacuum. We've tried other brands and these are the best.)
o Fold up duffel bag
" Read the hotel rules - you know the price list posted on the back of the door? If your kids can't read yet, "read" them all of the rules the hotel posted there for your family - no jumping on the beds, quiet so you don't disturb others, no running in the hallways, etc.
" Bring over-the-counter medicines so you don't have to buy last-minute
" Mini post-its to cover sensor on automatic toilets so kids don't get flushed
" Specific to airplanes
o Pack needed medicines in carry-on
o Something bright on your black suitcases
o Split family's clothes into multiple suitcases in case of lost baggage
o Pack light leave space for souvenirs

Specific to Flying
" Practice going through security so kids aren't scared.
" Put some clothes from each family member in each suitcase. That way if one bag is lost, everyone will still have clothes.
" Bring your own carseats they're expensive to rent.
" Practice with headphones consider kid-sized sets
" Get out what you'll need before takeoff and put in seatback pocket.
o Small baggie of wipes, drink, book, takeoff snack
" Dont get out electronics too early kids may have a meltdown when you ask them to be put away during takeoff!
" Just plan to entertain your children. Don't bother with your own books or magazines. :

Wow, that was fast!!! This is one of the best lists that I've seen yet! The only ideas that I have that weren't already on your list are paper dolls, glow sticks, and activities for rest stops (frisbee, jump rope, sidewalk chalk, etc.)

Good stuff. Thanks!

Oh, and ditto on the Hydroflasks. Best water bottles ever! DW packed one in the kids school lunch almost every day last year. We have a couple of their food containers too, where DW would heat up soup in the morning and send it with them every now and then. Always still hot by lunch time :)

Wow, that was fast!!! This is one of the best lists that I've seen yet! The only ideas that I have that weren't already on your list are paper dolls, glow sticks, and activities for rest stops (frisbee, jump rope, sidewalk chalk, etc.)

Good stuff. Thanks!

Those tips have now been added. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter