Tired of SSR being blamed

I don’t get these arguments. Most people when they buy in direct are not offered any resort other than the one they are currently selling. They are told you can stay anywhere. So the home resort isn’t even a consideration. Stay where you want and who cares what people are saying.

I think a lot of the crunch would be alleviated if Disney would find the IT to be able to implement a service that looks something like a waitlist, but would match reservations up in order to make it happen. For example:

Member A's home resort is VGF. "A" has 6 nights in a standard studio, booked during the 7-11 month window, for August 8-14. "A" would like to switch at 7 months to a BLT lake view studio for the same dates.

Member B's home resort is BLT. "B" has August 8-14 booked during the 7-11 month window in a Lake View studio. Member B desires to switch to VGF standard studio.

Under the system I'm describing, this new database would be able to see and match up these reservations for a "swap." Currently, waitlists only fill when the matching desired dates open through cancellation or resort switch. These switches are less common because there are fewer options to go at 7 months.

If they could figure this out, i think we'd see the gridlock open quite a bit.

This works well for people matching up the same size unit with the same days, but what about someone who needs to downsize a unit, or their week starts a day earlier/later. From how I am reading this it sounds like it would be unfair for a lot of people. I might have a 1 bd and want to change to a studio, but every group that already has a studio could get my shot at it because there's no one who wants to go from the studio to a 1 bd. The way it is now gives us all an even chance at 7 months.

I would never feel the slightest guilt at booking a non-home resort at 7 months, nor would I ever complain about anybody else doing so. We all knew the rules going in.
Amen. The system is what it is. If an owner is not booking within their home window that is their problem, no one else’s. Points are being used as they were sold. No one should feel anything but pure joy being able to book BWV, VGF, BCV, etc., with their SSR points. Owners at SSR don't owe anyone any justification of anything. They don't even need to like their home resort or have any interest in staying their.

Exercising the sold function of flexibility is within every Disney timeshare owner's right.

All that said, it's a mathematical certainty that a resort the size of SSR (equal to BWV, BLT and VGF combined), is going to have a measurable impact on the ability for all owners (including SSR owners) to trade at the 7-month mark (home resort or otherwise). And a quick look at short-term (< 7 months) availability makes it abundantly clear that SSR is quite literally the last WDW resort of choice most times in a year.

No judgement there, it's just a fact. There is an SSR problem with the booking system.

If you walked into a sales office today and stated unequivocally, “I hate SSR, but want the cheapest way to buy in to stay anywhere else at 7-months so I’d like to buy there.” Disney will sell you whatever SSR points they have available.

This is no question this is a problem of Disney’s own making, but it doesn’t make it any less a problem.

SSR is our home resort and so far we have stayed there three times. OKW might be the family favorite now but always subject to change. I am very happy I purchased SSR as it has been a great SAP but I would not hesitate to stay there in a minute. And Turf Club is a very good restaurant too.

SSR was the result of 9/11. Before 9/11, DVD had already announced a different resort to be built in the Bonnet Creek area where the Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines golf courses were, not far from Fort Wilderness. That area now is divided between the Four Seasons resort and Disney's Golden Oak community of multi-million dollar homes. There is only one golf course left, now called Tranquillo (the Osprey renamed), which belongs to the Four Seasons.

As a result of 9/11, demand for Disney rooms went down significantly and Disney temporarily closed the Disney Institute resort (which traditionally had issues getting a large percentage of the rooms rented), which closure became permanent when four months later, in late January 2002, DVD announced that SSR would be built in the area. The proposed resort for the Bonnet Creek area was never mentioned again by DVD. SSR, when finished, had 35% of all DVC points that existed anywhere at the time. Even today, it is still near 18% of the 13 total resorts and has more points than any other single resort, including point-huge Aulani. It was sold using the promotion that one could buy there and always stay anywhere else in the DVC system at 7 months out. Before SSR, finding rooms at the near park DVC resorts (BCV, BRV and BWV at the time) at 7 months out was often fairly easy except for some higher demand times like first two weeks of December, Christmas and Thanksgiving, and some other times isn fall or other holidays. As more and more of SSR got sold over the years, the ability to actually reserve near park resorts at 7 months out began to decrease significantly.

The purchasers of SSR are not to blame for its impact on ability to get other resorts at 7 months out. The blame goes to DVD for such problems. It built a real nice resort. However, it was much bigger than OKW and was sold with the specific representation that purchasers could easily reserve any near park resort at 7 months out. Moreover, it had a major problem due to DVD's desire to sell more points than it should -- its nightly point structure was significantly higher than OKW, which resulted in its having little demand from owners of other resorts at 7 months out, e.g., for that to happen SSR needed a point structure close to OKW's. That point structure was partly corrected effective 2017, except that now it has preferred buildings that are even more overpriced. Nevertheless, from what I have seen lately, the demand for SSR at 7 months out, at least for standard, has improved since the change.

The concern I have about SSR and those purchasing SSR now with the belief they can stay elsewhere is that those purchasers are unaware of the new DVC, which has management that in the last ten years has become more and more anti-member and wants to fix problems mainly caused by DVD by doing injury not just to resale purchasers but to members generally. One of those problems has been DVD's oversell in the last ten years of studios resulting from: (a) raising price per point about 100% despite a total 20% inflation effect and stagnant wage levels, (b) further increasing the actual price of each new resort by creating higher and higher points per night needed per room; (c) creating huge numbers of extra points to sell by adding point-ridiculous bungalows and cabins to the mix; and (d) abandoning the 160 point minimum rule for new buyers ten years ago and going to minimums of 100 points, 75 points, and even 50 points. The result is that the percentage of purchasers who can afford to buy enough points to usually get rooms larger than studios has steadily decreased while the percentage of total points being sold to those who can afford only studios has significantly increased.

What has developed in the last ten years is that there are now far more owners who desire to use their points to get mainly studios, and studio demand has reached the point that for some rooms there is even an 11-month issue, and it is continuously becoming harder and harder to get studios at 7 months out. At the end of December 2019, the new DVC came up with a solution to fix the excess studio demand that had developed over the last 10 years. That solution did not include DVD's raising the total points required of new purchasers or lowering the price per point, both of which would have impacted DVD's profits. Instead, DVC created new point charts that significantly increased the points needed for studios and 1BRs almost year round. DVC did that despite that a main cause of excess studio demand was DVD's actions in the last ten years. In raising studio and 1BR points year round, DVC dismissed provisions in the applicable controlling documents that required any raise in points for rooms for any nights had to be met by an equal decrease in other nights. Moreover, DVC dismissed express, written representations that it provided to purchasers in the past, which said DVC would do point adjustments only to correct changes in seasonal demand, not room size demand, by declaring it was not bound by any such prior representations. Moreover, it claimed further that it included 1BRs in the reallocation because demand for them was too high, while refusing to provide evidence it purportedly had to show that was true, and despite that it is well-known that 1BRs are usually the last to fill.

DVC withdrew those new point charts after complaints from DVC members. However, it conceded nothing in doing so and left open the possibility it would do the same or something else in the future to fix the excess studio demand problem.

That brings me to what the current (and many past) purchasers of SSR are likely unaware of. DVC actually has a possibly legal way that would significantly modify the demand for studios or other rooms that it has heretofore never used, but if it does so, it will significantly limit the desire and ability of SSR owners (and others) to reserve any near park resorts, and possibly other resorts, at 7 months out. Unbeknownst to many, the provisions of the controlling POS documents and exhibits actually contemplate that there can be two separate point charts applicable to each resort, one for home resort reservations and one for reserving non-owned resorts, and the 7-month, inter-resort charts for each resort can have different per night requirements than the 11-month charts. Moreover, the rule stated in the documents about keeping total points for a resort the same and setting off any increase by a decrease elsewhere in the charts, is not stated as being applicable to the inter-resort, 7-month chart, That 7-month chart can be changed at DVC's "discretion" (or actually the discretion of Buena Vista Trading Company, the entity responsible for the inter-resort reservations)

The Florida legal requirement prevents selling more points to purchasers of a resort than necessary to fill the resort for a year, and thus requires in DVC's case that any point increase made for any given time be offset by a like decrease at other times, Once that requirement is met, and the owners have an exclusive period reserving rooms for their home resort, the legal requirement for multisite reservations, where members are reserving at a different resort other than their own, becomes more amorphous, and simply states that the reservation system and rules set up should be in the best interest of all the multisite plan owners as a whole (meaning in the interest of all DVC members not just those at one resort), and that the rules should provide that adjustments can be made from time to time in response to changes in demand among the multisite resorts. In essence, DVC could create inter-resort (7-month) point charts to raise the points needed for near park resorts without the need to lower them in the same resort. In fact, if it wanted to, DVC could also act to equalize demand among the resorts by lowering points needed at 7-months out at SSR and raising them at the near park resorts. That could significantly help in spreading out studio demand as bargain hunters from the near park resorts would have a increased incentive to move their reservations to a resort like SSR.

One may hope that such a drastic change will not occur, but with the new DVC, which has already demonstrated how far it may be willing to go to accomplish whatever it wants to accomplish, the possibility cannot be ruled out.

Last edited:
I want to thank @drusba for the in-depth history lesson as well as the analysis of the little-known nuances of the POS.

I find this part particularly troubling:
That brings me to what the current (and many past) purchasers of SSR are likely unaware of. DVC actually has a possibly legal way that would significantly modify the demand for studios or other rooms that it has heretofore never used, but if it does so, it will significantly limit the desire and ability of SSR owners (and others) to reserve any near park resorts, and possibly other resorts, at 7 months out. Unbeknownst to many, the provisions of the controlling POS documents and exhibits actually contemplate that there can be two separate point charts applicable to each resort, one for home resort reservations and one for reserving non-owned resorts, and the 7-month, inter-resort charts for each resort can have different per night requirements than the 11-month charts. Moreover, the rule stated in the documents about keeping total points for a resort the same and setting off any increase by a decrease elsewhere in the charts, is not stated as being applicable to the inter-resort, 7-month chart, That 7-month chart can be changed at DVC's "discretion" (or actually the discretion of Buena Vista Trading Company, the entity responsible for the inter-resort reservations)

In essence, DVC could create inter-resort (7-month) point charts to raise the points needed for near park resorts without the need to lower them in the same resort. In fact, if it wanted to, DVC could also act to equalize demand among the resorts by lowering points needed at 7-months out at SSR and raising them at the near park resorts.
I’m trying to wrap my head around this. So at 11 months owners can book for X points per night. Then at 7 months the point chats flip to X+Y per night (presumably for near park resorts) or X-Y per night (presumably for SSR). That keeps the points unchanged at 11 months but creates incentives or disincentives for changing to certain resorts. Do I have that right?

SSR is #1 My home resort as well. But we love all the DVC resorts we’ve stayed at so remember it’s because us SSR decided to stay at your home resorts that when you plan a last minute trip that we have open up space for you!!! lol

I’m trying to wrap my head around this. So at 11 months owners can book for X points per night. Then at 7 months the point chats flip to X+Y per night (presumably for near park resorts) or X-Y per night (presumably for SSR). That keeps the points unchanged at 11 months but creates incentives or disincentives for changing to certain resorts. Do I have that right?
My understanding is that the home resort points chart remains unchanged at 7 months. IOW, a BLT owner who books BLT at 6 months would still pay X, but an OKW owner who books BLT at 7 months would pay X+Y.

However, the converse situation of lowering the 7-month non-home points chart at some resorts leaves me scratching my head. How would lowering the number of points required to book SSR at 7 months (X-Y) benefit the SSR owners who pay X to book their home resort at 11-7 months?

My understanding is that the home resort points chart remains unchanged at 7 months. IOW, a BLT owner who books BLT at 6 months would still pay X, but an OKW owner who books BLT at 7 months would pay X+Y.

That makes sense in terms of management trying to change 7 month demand- a point chart for owners and non owners.

In fact, if it wanted to, DVC could also act to equalize demand among the resorts by lowering points needed at 7-months out at SSR and raising them at the near park resorts.

What I understood @drusba was saying is decrease points at SSR at 7 months to entice people to book there and subsequently free up space at near park resorts. I could totally be wrong though.

Last edited:

However, the converse situation of lowering the 7-month non-home points chart at some resorts leaves me scratching my head. How would lowering the number of points required to book SSR at 7 months (X-Y) benefit the SSR owners who pay X to book their home resort at 11-7 months?
Unless they lowered points required for SSR for SSR owners after 7 months as well, there would be nothing but penalties for SSR buyers. This would include the MANY direct SSR buyers...

Unless they lowered points required for SSR for SSR owners after 7 months as well, there would be nothing but penalties for SSR buyers. This would include the MANY direct SSR buyers...
Basically what would happen (and currently does) is that you convert your Home Resort Vacation Points into DVC vacation points. Currently that trade is 1 to 1 as defined in the Disclosure Document; however, I believe this isn’t necessary. So they could say 1VGF home resort vacation point is 2 DVC vacation points and SSR is 1 to 1 this giving VGF more buying power. Then the point charts could be different for DVC vacation points (but all resorts would have the same point charts, the relative buying power is adjusted at the conversion). The idea is these new DVC vacation point charts would be used to balance the trading demand. Currently the two are set the same but mechanically the system is technically doing this

Now they could make the DVC vacation points per night cheaper for SSR than the home resort vacation point chart. But the SSR owner would basically need a room open at 7 months, convert their points to DVC vacation points, then re-reserve the room. Do I think they would do this, unlikely. I likely think the change would be the conversion rates and DVC vacation point charts being necessarily higher or equal to the home resort vacation point charts.

Also it does say in the POS and disclosure once you convert to DVC vacation points you can’t convert back to home resort vacation points. Which I took to mean if I made a 7 month reservation and cancelled those points would be ineligible for 11 month reservations; however, we all know this currently isn’t done

I think a lot of the crunch would be alleviated if Disney would find the IT to be able to implement a service that looks something like a waitlist, but would match reservations up in order to make it happen. For example:

Member A's home resort is VGF. "A" has 6 nights in a standard studio, booked during the 7-11 month window, for August 8-14. "A" would like to switch at 7 months to a BLT lake view studio for the same dates.

Member B's home resort is BLT. "B" has August 8-14 booked during the 7-11 month window in a Lake View studio. Member B desires to switch to VGF standard studio.

Under the system I'm describing, this new database would be able to see and match up these reservations for a "swap." Currently, waitlists only fill when the matching desired dates open through cancellation or resort switch. These switches are less common because there are fewer options to go at 7 months.

If they could figure this out, i think we'd see the gridlock open quite a bit.
I don't see DVC ever doing this because there really isn't anything for them in this deal. They have to develop the software, no matter how easy or hard it is. They have to listen to all the complaints when owners gripe about an issue they are having with the system. Etc. Now it they charged a fee for this, it might happen.

I don't see DVC ever doing this because there really isn't anything for them in this deal. They have to develop the software, no matter how easy or hard it is. They have to listen to all the complaints when owners gripe about an issue they are having with the system. Etc. Now it they charged a fee for this, it might happen.
If Disney is having trouble selling a points at a new resort making those points more valuable at other resorts at seven months out would be an incentive that could attract buyers and make Disney money without offering incentives that cost Disney money.

I don't see DVC ever doing this because there really isn't anything for them in this deal.
As there is no contractual obligation to maintain any point balance between resorts, a departure from the 1:1 BVTC exchange that members currently enjoy would likely create a tremendous amount of breakage on a scale that the executives who crafted the retracted 2020 reallocation could only dream of.

Imagine that it would cost just 2-3 points more per night to exchange into any non-home resort. Most owners would probably just bite the bullet and acquiesce as most owners did with the reallocation and the restrictions. The exchange into SSR may be nominal; maybe not increased at all to encourage a demand shift.

Bing Showei: So Yvonne, you can see my concern around this, right? SSR owners will continue to trade out while this exchange penalty does nothing to address the 7 month issues Disney is claiming to address.
Yvonne Chang: So I hear you, Bing, and I understand your concerns, but we have data that shows this will reduce the number of points that will exchange into the system at 7-months.
BS: Of course it will, it does so by just reducing wholesale the buying power of the entire ownership. That’s a perverse interpretation of the net result this will achieve.
YC: We have a legal, fiduciary responsibility to address the membership interest which may affect some members more than others. We hear it over and over again from the members that they are struggling with securing reservations and our data shows this will address that. Some owners may be affected more than others, but this is our respo- ...are you laughing? Or is it that... crying?
BS: Why do I feel like we’ve had this conversation before?
YC: Because we have. And between you and me, this time, legally... oh, we‘re solid.

SSR was the result of 9/11. Before 9/11, DVD had already announced a different resort to be built in the Bonnet Creek area where the Osprey Ridge and Eagle Pines golf courses were, not far from Fort Wilderness. That area now is divided between the Four Seasons resort and Disney's Golden Oak community of multi-million dollar homes. There is only one golf course left, now called Tranquillo (the Osprey renamed), which belongs to the Four Seasons.

As a result of 9/11, demand for Disney rooms went down significantly and Disney temporarily closed the Disney Institute resort (which traditionally had issues getting a large percentage of the rooms rented), which closure became permanent when four months later, in late January 2002, DVD announced that SSR would be built in the area. The proposed resort for the Bonnet Creek area was never mentioned again by DVD. SSR, when finished, had 35% of all DVC points that existed anywhere at the time. Even today, it is still near 18% of the 13 total resorts and has more points than any other single resort, including point-huge Aulani. It was sold using the promotion that one could buy there and always stay anywhere else in the DVC system at 7 months out. Before SSR, finding rooms at the near park DVC resorts (BCV, BRV and BWV at the time) at 7 months out was often fairly easy except for some higher demand times like first two weeks of December, Christmas and Thanksgiving, and some other times isn fall or other holidays. As more and more of SSR got sold over the years, the ability to actually reserve near park resorts at 7 months out began to decrease significantly.

The purchasers of SSR are not to blame for its impact on ability to get other resorts at 7 months out. The blame goes to DVD for such problems. It built a real nice resort. However, it was much bigger than OKW and was sold with the specific representation that purchasers could easily reserve any near park resort at 7 months out. Moreover, it had a major problem due to DVD's desire to sell more points than it should -- its nightly point structure was significantly higher than OKW, which resulted in its having little demand from owners of other resorts at 7 months out, e.g., for that to happen SSR needed a point structure close to OKW's. That point structure was partly corrected effective 2017, except that now it has preferred buildings that are even more overpriced. Nevertheless, from what I have seen lately, the demand for SSR at 7 months out, at least for standard, has improved since the change.

The concern I have about SSR and those purchasing SSR now with the belief they can stay elsewhere is that those purchasers are unaware of the new DVC, which has management that in the last ten years has become more and more anti-member and wants to fix problems mainly caused by DVD by doing injury not just to resale purchasers but to members generally. One of those problems has been DVD's oversell in the last ten years of studios resulting from: (a) raising price per point about 100% despite a total 20% inflation effect and stagnant wage levels, (b) further increasing the actual price of each new resort by creating higher and higher points per night needed per room; (c) creating huge numbers of extra points to sell by adding point-ridiculous bungalows and cabins to the mix; and (d) abandoning the 160 point minimum rule for new buyers ten years ago and going to minimums of 100 points, 75 points, and even 50 points. The result is that the percentage of purchasers who can afford to buy enough points to usually get rooms larger than studios has steadily decreased while the percentage of total points being sold to those who can afford only studios has significantly increased.

What has developed in the last ten years is that there are now far more owners who desire to use their points to get mainly studios, and studio demand has reached the point that for some rooms there is even an 11-month issue, and it is continuously becoming harder and harder to get studios at 7 months out. At the end of December 2019, the new DVC came up with a solution to fix the excess studio demand that had developed over the last 10 years. That solution did not include DVD's raising the total points required of new purchasers or lowering the price per point, both of which would have impacted DVD's profits. Instead, DVC created new point charts that significantly increased the points needed for studios and 1BRs almost year round. DVC did that despite that a main cause of excess studio demand was DVD's actions in the last ten years. In raising studio and 1BR points year round, DVC dismissed provisions in the applicable controlling documents that required any raise in points for rooms for any nights had to be met by an equal decrease in other nights. Moreover, DVC dismissed express, written representations that it provided to purchasers in the past, which said DVC would do point adjustments only to correct changes in seasonal demand, not room size demand, by declaring it was not bound by any such prior representations. Moreover, it claimed further that it included 1BRs in the reallocation because demand for them was too high, while refusing to provide evidence it purportedly had to show that was true, and despite that it is well-known that 1BRs are usually the last to fill.

DVC withdrew those new point charts after complaints from DVC members. However, it conceded nothing in doing so and left open the possibility it would do the same or something else in the future to fix the excess studio demand problem.

The Florida legal requirement prevents selling more points to purchasers of a resort than necessary to fill the resort for a year, and thus requires in DVC's case that any point increase made for any given time be offset by a like decrease at other times, Once that requirement is met, and the owners have an exclusive period reserving rooms for their home resort, the legal requirement for multisite reservations, where members are reserving at a different resort other than their own, becomes more amorphous, and simply states that the reservation system and rules set up should be in the best interest of all the multisite plan owners as a whole (meaning in the interest of all DVC members not just those at one resort), and that the rules should provide that adjustments can be made from time to time in response to changes in demand among the multisite resorts. In essence, DVC could create inter-resort (7-month) point charts to raise the points needed for near park resorts without the need to lower them in the same resort. In fact, if it wanted to, DVC could also act to equalize demand among the resorts by lowering points needed at 7-months out at SSR and raising them at the near park resorts. That could significantly help in spreading out studio demand as bargain hunters from the near park resorts would have a increased incentive to move their reservations to a resort like SSR.

One may hope that such a drastic change will not occur, but with the new DVC, which has already demonstrated how far it may be willing to go to accomplish whatever it wants to accomplish, the possibility cannot be ruled out.
Yikes!

Also it does say in the POS and disclosure once you convert to DVC vacation points you can’t convert back to home resort vacation points. Which I took to mean if I made a 7 month reservation and cancelled those points would be ineligible for 11 month reservations; however, we all know this currently isn’t done

Yes it is. If you make a 7 month reservation using your current UY points, when you cancel, you would have to bank the cancelled points into the following year to access them for another 11-month window.

Example. My use year is Jun. I own OKW. If I want to make a reservation for February 2021 at BCV, I would have to book in in July of 2020. Say I cancel the same day as I booked, because I decided February is not a good time of year to go to WDW.(weather, brrrr) Now, I want to stay at my home resort, so I can plan 11 months out. 11 months from July is June. I would be in a new UY. The only way you could access your home points after cancelling a 7 month reservation, is if you book and cancel in your UY month. I could book a Jan 2021 reservation at 7 months in Jun of 2020, and then turn around and book an 11 month reservation for May of 2021. One month after your use year month, and the 11 month mark puts you into your next UY.

Basically what would happen (and currently does) is that you convert your Home Resort Vacation Points into DVC vacation points. Currently that trade is 1 to 1 as defined in the Disclosure Document; however, I believe this isn’t necessary. So they could say 1VGF home resort vacation point is 2 DVC vacation points and SSR is 1 to 1 this giving VGF more buying power. Then the point charts could be different for DVC vacation points (but all resorts would have the same point charts, the relative buying power is adjusted at the conversion). The idea is these new DVC vacation point charts would be used to balance the trading demand. Currently the two are set the same but mechanically the system is technically doing this

Now they could make the DVC vacation points per night cheaper for SSR than the home resort vacation point chart. But the SSR owner would basically need a room open at 7 months, convert their points to DVC vacation points, then re-reserve the room. Do I think they would do this, unlikely. I likely think the change would be the conversion rates and DVC vacation point charts being necessarily higher or equal to the home resort vacation point charts.

Are you confusing changing DVC points to reservation points? I know if you do that, and cancel, you can’t use them in DVC resorts anymore. So, if you book a cruise and convert points for that, and cancel the cruise those are stuck.

i never heard that if you book your points at another DVC resorts and cancel that those points are no longer attached to your home resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter