• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although at very low risk, there is still a risk. I would never take a known risk on my children’s health.

We do have some significant guilt for putting my grandson at risk. When we booked after the announcement of the return of HEA, conditions were not what they were just a couple of weeks before our trip. He had just been crushed by our first Covid cancellation- our car was packed, we were due to leave the morning after they announced they were closing- and I just didn't have the heart to do that to him again. As I said before, we thought if we were very careful that he'd be ok, but he wasn't and we feel awful about it. It's not a risk I'd take again but we didn't have the luxury of knowing up front how bad it would get in such a short period of time.

We do have some significant guilt for putting my grandson at risk. When we booked after the announcement of the return of HEA, conditions were not what they were just a couple of weeks before our trip. He had just been crushed by our first Covid cancellation- our car was packed, we were due to leave the morning after they announced they were closing- and I just didn't have the heart to do that to him again. As I said before, we thought if we were very careful that he'd be ok, but he wasn't and we feel awful about it. It's not a risk I'd take again but we didn't have the luxury of knowing up front how bad it would get in such a short period of time.
I hope he is on the mend after quite a rough trip. Any word on the results? How old is your grandson?

That is totally understandable. It’s an ever changing virus. You did what seemed right at the time. I hope he is ok soon. Kids are fairing better than the adults.

We are scheduled to go to Universal in a few weeks after cancellations. The kids are so excited, but as of yesterday I’m rethinking it. We have to fly, which worries me both in the way of crowds, but also the airlines have been a mess recently with delays and cancellations due to low staffing. Further, there have been a large uptick in unruly passengers. However, like you it’s hard to disappoint the family again and last minute. Not sure I would get a refund at this late date either.

I hope he is on the mend after quite a rough trip. Any word on the results? How old is your grandson?
No results yet. We were hoping we’d get them back today but nothing so far. He’s 9. He’s feeling better since we got home, but still sick and still running a temp on and off with a bad cough.

That is totally understandable. It’s an ever changing virus. You did what seemed right at the time. I hope he is ok soon. Kids are fairing better than the adults.

We are scheduled to go to Universal in a few weeks after cancellations. The kids are so excited, but as of yesterday I’m rethinking it. We have to fly, which worries me both in the way of crowds, but also the airlines have been a mess recently with delays and cancellations due to low staffing. Further, there have been a large uptick in unruly passengers. However, like you it’s hard to disappoint the family again and last minute. Not sure I would get a refund at this late date either.
I am so glad we drove. Had we flown, we’d still be in Florida as he couldn’t possibly have flown back.

Has anyone actually gotten sick who had covid already or has had covid and the vaccine ? Any kids who had covid already that got sick again from their trip ?

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of anything called RSV. I did a quick Google search and a lot of news items were saying that there’s a rise in cases throughout the US. Is it basically a strain of what most refer to as the common cold or flu?

I now recall that our school system sent out a notice a few weeks ago And how parents shouldn’t panic if their kids show cold or flu symptoms as there’s a flare up on the common cold right now. You should still get tested but not to panic. And now I recall a good friend of mine and her family were totally sick with a cold and it was not Covid. But here in Germany We had some nasty weather this year. Basically cold and rainy So people are indoors a lot

You're not crazy at all. We just returned from a 7 night stay and just trying to maneuver through the parks, constantly trying to avoid massive crowds was mentally and physically exhausting. We had some great experiences, but in hindsight I would never go it again. And for all our extreme measures attempting to stay safe, my grandson got sick anyway. We missed the character meets, the shows, the parades, no dessert parties and the repetitive and limited menu's got old and fast. We ended up, for the first time, driving off sight to get decent take out to eat. We didn't want sit down dining due to my grandson not being vaccinated and while there are couple of great places, most of them are serving the same things and none of it was good.

We won't go back until Disney is really back. I'll wear masks all day long but I'm just not spending the kind of money it takes with so much missing. It just wasn't the Disney I love.

This is my take also, I am not going to go until they are back to pre covid status. I don't want to go on vacation and be on pins and needles.

We are still going august 20-29. 3 of us vaccinated 1 not. We will be cautious and follow all rules. I’ll probably still wear a mask at rope drop. My feeling on this is that COVID isn’t going away. I can not keep pushing vacations due to another flare up or strain.

First, my best to you and your family - I hope you are all healthy and safe.

Thanks for the response, this sounds pretty much what we would be like. Can I ask what types of masks you were wearing? Also, would you be willing to share the results of your tests when they come back? I know none of this applies directly to us, but again, data points definitely help.

We just got results back and he, as well as the entire group tested negative. We are so relieved, but now it's off to the dr to see exactly what it is he does have. It's just odd that none of us seem to have caught what he has and we were about as close in contact as we could be having slept in the same room for days and had 2 very long days in the car with him. I've always thought kid germs had super powers to spread because we've always caught whatever he gets. It's a running joke around here about who has to take care of him when he's sick because you WILL get it.

It really doesn't change my mind about going under these conditions. Clearly, careful as we were, he was still able to catch something. And if he can catch a cold or the flu or rsv, he can catch covid despite out very best efforts. I can think of nothing else we could've done, short of not going to the parks at all, that we could've improved on.

Last edited:
It really doesn't change my mind about going under these conditions. Clearly, careful as we were, he was still able to catch something. And if he can catch a cold or the flu or rsv, he can catch covid despite out very best efforts. I can think of nothing else we could've done, short of not going to the parks at all, that we could've improved on.

sometimes you do everything right and they still get sick! :) Glad you're not dealing with Covid!

We just got results back and he, as well as the entire group tested negative. We are so relieved, but now it's off to the dr to see exactly what it is he does have. It's just odd that none of us seem to have caught what he has and we were about as close in contact as we could be having slept in the same room for days and had 2 very long days in the car with him. I've always thought kid germs had super powers to spread because we've always caught whatever he gets. It's a running joke around here about who has to take care of him when he's sick because you WILL get it.

So, so, so happy your DGS tested negative. FWIW, after our RSV diagnosis, my DH NEVER got sick at all. I didn't get it that bad, but the 2 kids especially DD3 was pretty bad off. Hoping for his quick recovery!!! RSV is so rampant down here especially right now!

So, so, so happy your DGS tested negative. FWIW, after our RSV diagnosis, my DH NEVER got sick at all. I didn't get it that bad, but the 2 kids especially DD3 was pretty bad off. Hoping for his quick recovery!!! RSV is so rampant down here especially right now!
I've been thinking about you and your grandson! I have a 9 year old as well so it really hit home. I hope that your doctor figures it out or the nasty bug is out of his system. Keep us posted. Also- when you left Dis did you rent a car or did you already have your own. Curious about logistics (price) of a last minute one way rental from the bubble.

So glad it's not Covid! My mom and stepdad got back a couple weeks ago and the very next day she was sick...with pneumonia, that was not Covid related (negative tests on two different days). He never got sick and neither did I, despite the fact that I drove them home from the airport, with her sitting next to me. It's so weird how germs pass, or don't.

Hope your grandson feels better soon and that no one else in your family gets sick!

I was scheduled to stay at Portofino Bay at Universal 8/14-8/18; followed by a Disney stay. I just cancelled the Universal portion of the trip, sadly. With two of my children too young to be vaccinated, and Universal allowing guests to not mask indoors, I felt the risk was just too high. We are holding out hope that we can keep the Disney portion of the stay. We've re-scheduled three times ( I can't believe we're back in the same situation!), and I don't want to break my kids' hearts again. We're all healthy individuals, so I'm not that worried about COVID in general for us. It's the logistical nightmare of trying to get my kids back to NY if one of them gets sick while in Orlando and we can't fly home. Having a sick kid and being away from home is the worst.

It really did get bad very, very quickly. We were in a similar situation with our decision-making - even a week before we left, things were trending worse, but not nearly so fast. We have one more park day - and COVID tests scheduled for after we get back.

So glad to know that the test results are all negative! Both of my kids were sick with this virus but not my DH and myself and we were with them all the time in the hotel room and in the car. Kids were coughing constantly throughout the day and blowing their noses. We also shared the same water bottle during our trip.

I was scheduled to stay at Portofino Bay at Universal 8/14-8/18; followed by a Disney stay. I just cancelled the Universal portion of the trip, sadly. With two of my children too young to be vaccinated, and Universal allowing guests to not mask indoors, I felt the risk was just too high. We are holding out hope that we can keep the Disney portion of the stay. We've re-scheduled three times ( I can't believe we're back in the same situation!), and I don't want to break my kids' hearts again. We're all healthy individuals, so I'm not that worried about COVID in general for us. It's the logistical nightmare of trying to get my kids back to NY if one of them gets sick while in Orlando and we can't fly home. Having a sick kid and being away from home is the worst.

Just be careful about that nasty cold virus floating around at Disney. So many people caught it. Have a good time at Disney.

Yesterday we were in AK- every day there seems to better mask compliance in lines. There are always a few who don't wear them. While I was waiting for my family to get off EE, I saw Disney filming crew filming a group of teen/tweens outside the ride, all were in masks. It made me think that masks will be a thing for a while. I hope numbers improve down here quickly. DD1 goes to school here and many of her friends work in parks, so no matter what she does, she is surrounded by it. We found our testing site and will test tomorrow.

I have been following your posts for a few days now. I'm glad it's not COVID, but very sorry he is sick. Thank you for updating us. I pray he will feel better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter