• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Hot2Trot 10k on Saturday morning!

It looks like there are 32 people currently signed up for the 10k (10 of which are male 30-39). The T+D will be about 138 and it's been bouncing back and forth between sun vs clouds/rain/storms. It's certainly not a flat race, but isn't dissimilar to my normal route (mainly because the race is right down the street). So what's your prediction for the race?

Under ideal conditions, it looks like my current fitness estimate (3:02 M) would put the 10k at 39:45. My plan is to aim for a T+D adjusted time of 40:56.

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 10.43.29 AM.png

It looks like there are 32 people currently signed up for the 10k (10 of which are male 30-39). The T+D will be about 138 and it's been bouncing back and forth between sun vs clouds/rain/storms. It's certainly not a flat race, but isn't dissimilar to my normal route (mainly because the race is right down the street). So what's your prediction for the race?

Under ideal conditions, it looks like my current fitness estimate (3:02 M) would put the 10k at 39:45. My plan is to aim for a T+D adjusted time of 40:56.

View attachment 244371
I predict a top 10 In AG for sure!! My prediction is 39:50

View attachment 244371

Ooh I want to play too. I am going to guess a 39:57.

LOL! Well, umm yea... top 10 of 10 would be expected I guess... My goal though is top 3 AG. That way I can earn a sweet bobble head fireman trophy!

Haha i figured you'd like those math skills.. That be pretty cool to finish top 3!! You were crushing the 5k, I can only imagine what your capable of on the 10k Enjoy the victory lap!

Tomorrow (Abstaining from Jack Daniels)

tumblr_nskx7pyOKX1qaiuijo1_400.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

6/13/17 - T - 2 mile WU + 2 x 2 miles @ HMP w/ 0.5 mile RI + 2 mile CD (3/4)
6/14/17 - W - 5 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/15/17 - R - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/16/17 - F - 4 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/17/17 - Sat - Hot2Trot 10k
6/18/17 - Sun - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile

Total (training) mileage = 37.5 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 3/4 (75%)

Monday was the first day of swimming for G, and she LOVES it! She has been having such a great time, they've been going back after lunch for a second swim. She's even dunking her head underwater! Hooray for finding something she is willing to participate in thus far!

Tuesday was the last hard day before the Hot2Trot 10k.

2 mile WU + 2 x 2 miles @ HMP w/ 0.5 mile RI + 2 mile CD

Guess who I ran into today? I'll leave the mystery person a mystery until the end. See if you can figure it out.

T+D of 154, with full sun, and 12 mph wind.

HMP = 6:41 min/mile + 5.5% adjustment = 7:05 min/mile
HMP window = +/- 5 seconds (7:00-7:10)

I've got my 10k race on Saturday, so I decided to go with a slightly safer "hard day". This was the first training run of the year over a T+D of 140, and instead we jump right to 154. Yikes! I bit the lip and went with the 5.5% adjustment to see if it worked out for me.

HMP intervals = 7:04, 7:09, 7:09, 7:19

Well the beginning of the first interval started off great. I felt really good and had to pull back to hit pace. Then, out of no where, mystery person X showed up. We locked eyes and each knew what was about to happen. X picked up the pace, and I picked up the pace, and then X picked up the pace, neck and neck until the end of the street. We went our separate ways each content with a tie. See you another time mystery person X.

Otherwise, the run was solid all around. I tried out a new route this time to maximize fast running without having to carry the water bottle. I've noticed a little bit of fatigue in my hip when carrying the bottle so I'm trying to cut down in carrying it when I don't have to,

I incorporated the big hill twice on each interval just to keep the difficulty up. I definitely lost track of pace on interval #4, but as the pace increase at the last few seconds shows I had more to give. Because of the race on Saturday I was happy with not pushing to the edge of needed effort.

Average pace of 7:10 with a HR of 155.

BTW, for those playing at home - mystery person X was .... streamer bike girl! :)

Wednesday was one of those rare days where life throws you a curveball. Life dictated this run be 5 miles instead of 7 miles. The pace had to be SUPER easy at a 9:41 min/mile with a HR of 121 and a T+D of 142.

Thursday was an easy day at a T+D of 142. I went as really slow at a 9:22 min/mile, but to my surprise the average HR was a 130. That seems pretty high given the slow pace.

Friday is packet pickup and a very short easy day.

Saturday is the Hot2Trot 10k

Sunday is a planned easy day of 7 miles

2017 Winter/Spring Training Cycle – Jack Daniels 10k

Below is a summary of the 2017 Jack Daniels 10k training cycle.

Custom Training Plan and Nutrition Plan

144 Days to Go (2 runs in and we already have a change)
Sick solo dad with a fever. They say Mondays are the new Wednesdays.
Total mileage = 19 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 19/19 (100%)

137 Days to Go (Another, possibly connected, sickness...)
Stopped tracking easy intervals. Doctor confirms a sinus infection since mid-Dec.
Total mileage = 26 miles
Number of intervals within pace = nd

130 Days to Go (And so it begins again...)
The end of recovery and the true beginning to Daniels 10k training. Starts with a bang with my first perfect tempo run since before June 2016.
Total mileage = 42 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 10/10 (100%)

123 Days to Go (Back to Groovin')
Marathon tempo, G’s birthday, and the HR is dropping.
Total mileage = 45 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 14/16 (88%)

117 Days to Go (Confusion)
Monday updates? Another perfect tempo run, but a lingering soreness afterwards. HRvPace still not back to peak Dec yet. A 3:22 marathon fitness.
Total mileage = 36 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 13/14 (93%)

110 Days to Go (Back to normal in time for something new)
Another perfect tempo run but I tweaked my back.
Total mileage = 47 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 18/19 (95%)

Pre-Daniels 10k training check-in

103 Days to Go (I haven't drank any alcohol in a long time, but I decided I needed some Jack Daniels in my life!)
Beginning of Daniels training starts with 5:xx paced running? WHAT??!?! Just remember moderation is key with Jack Daniels.
Total mileage = 54.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 35/39 (90%)

96 Days to Go (Harder? Better? Faster? Stronger?)
Crushed another perfect marathon tempo and even sped up! A 3:04 marathon fitness!
Total mileage = 48.7 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 33/35 (94%)

Another diet change

89 Days to Go (Let's kick this up a notch, BAM!)
Sore hip from last week’s tempo run and I decided to move the paces faster because the metrics justified the move
Total mileage = 55.6 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 27/30 (90%)

82 Days to Go (Running in the wind!)
New pacing scheme, new recovery drink, the Badgers lost on a miracle shot (after their own miracle shot), 11 hours of sleep, and the peak mileage of the plan
Total mileage = 59.9 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 36/44 (82%)

75 Days to Go (The horizon...)
A tricky speed day, a new 10k PR using run/walk, 10 mile marathon tempo, and a marathon fitness of 3:00:54!
Total mileage = 54.1 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 31/35 (89%)

THE PREDICTION CALCULATOR SAYS 2:59:18!!!!

68 Days to Go (Step back before taking a leap!)
Last R paced run, the beginning of Phase 3 of Daniels (the really really tough part), and introduction to I pace.
Total mileage = 46.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 24/29 (83%)

61 Days to Go (Sometimes when you leap, you fall flat...)
I pace is HARD!
Total mileage = 56.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 12/22 (55%)

54 Days to Go (Madrugada)
Wind, a band concert, and I’m 32 now!
Total mileage = 54.2 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 21/29 (72%)

47 Days to Go (Final Boss Battle!)
A really bad I paced workout, then crushed the T pace workout, and then a KO punch to the final boss with a 6:55 min/mile average for 11 miles at a HR of 145!!! Marathon fitness 2:53!
Total mileage = 54.8 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 20/29 (69%)

40 Days to Go (Winding down!)
Sinister bunny gang!
Total mileage = 50.4 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 19/27 (70%)

33 Days to Go (Impromptu Race!)
An amazing I paced workout and a beautiful forecast says, Impromptu race time!
Total mileage = 45.1 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 13/18 (72%)

26 Days to Go (Sometimes it works.... and sometimes it doesn't...)
Time trial #2 didn’t go as well.
Total mileage = 42.6 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 4/13 (31%)

19 Days to Go (The running of the brats....)
No more of these time trials, let’s try a real race… with brats!
Total mileage = 48.7 miles
Number of intervals within pace = nd

12 Days to Go (The pendulum swings again)
Things start to slip away, time for some recovery before Hot2Trot and marathon training starts. Marathon fitness of 3:04.
Total mileage = 56.3 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 17/22 (77%)

5 Days to Go (Blazing Sun!)
A tough I paced workout and a solid perfect long run!
Total mileage = 48.4 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 12/17 (71%)

Tomorrow (Abstaining from Jack Daniels)
The end of the Daniels cycle. Only the pinnacle of the cycle is left – Hot2Trot 10k!
Total mileage = 37.5 miles
Number of intervals within pace = 3/4 (75%)

OVERALL SUMMARY
Total scheduled mileage = 1068 miles
Total mileage completed = 1024 miles
% of scheduled mileage completed = 95.8%
Total scheduled duration =151:40:00 hours
Total duration completed = 144:43:00 hours
% of scheduled duration completed = 95.4%
# of intervals within range = 381/471
% of intervals within range = 81%
% weeks above 70% intervals hit = 17/20 (85%)
Average miles per week completed after recovery phase = 52.5 miles
Average duration per week completed after recovery phase = 7:24:10 hours

These were the goals on 1/19/17.

Goals
-To get more comfortable running fast. I'd like to be able to raise my speed cap (VO2max) so that I can run further faster and without as much effort.
-Stay injury free.
-Sub 20 5k or Sub 40 10k. Getting either of these will give me even more confidence in trying to hit a sub 3 marathon in October. I don't have to have this goal, but it's a benchmark I can use to measure progress. Race day conditions will always dictate the feasibility of time goals.

So, how’d we do?
-Get comfortable running fast – check!
-Stay injury free – check!
-Sub 20 5k – check
-Sub 40 10k – ??? (guess we'll see tomorrow)

Overall, I think the Daniels 10k training was a huge success. The goal was to get faster, and I think it’s undeniable that I did get much faster. Now we just need that new found speed to translate into improved endurance to hit that elusive long term goal of a sub 3 hour marathon and a Boston Qualifier.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 6.57.15 AM.png

Interesting to see how the HRvPace graphed improved almost every 2 week period until the first time trial. And then after the first time trial, the HRvPace graph definitely bounced backwards. Looks like my current fitness is very close to where it was back in mid-March.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter