• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Rent a Car or Not?

JM23457

Registered
We have a car rental reservation for our upcoming opening week trip, but I'm on the fence about keeping it. Between the cost of the rental and the parking/valet fees of the hotels where we're staying, it's going to cost several hundred dollars for a 7-night trip. Here is our basic itinerary:

*Fly into MCO in the evening
*2 nights at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, only leaving the resort to walk to the nearby Volcano Bay water park
*4 nights at Four Seasons Orlando, during which we'll attend the Disney parks each day. Four Seasons does offer complimentary shuttle service, & if you drive, you have to deal with valet parking (I hate waiting around & tipping for that when I just could have parked it myself)
*1 night at a Polynesian villa studio
*Back to MCO midday to fly home

Since I don't really plan to drive around Orlando for dining or activities, I'm considering canceling the rental car & just using a car service/taxis (I don't user Lyft or Uber) to get to each of the hotels initially, then use DME to return to the airport end of trip. That would save a lot of money.

On the flip side, I assume we'll have to wear masks during all of our transportation if we don't rent a car. Since we have to wear masks in the parks, not wearing them in our rental car would be a nice break. And of course, shared transport increases contagion risk. We're not in a high-risk group, but that's still a consideration.

I can afford the rental, but like most people, I don't have money to burn & don't want to be wasteful. This trip is already pretty expensive without the car rental. Thoughts?

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind, often times off site hotels offering "free shuttle service" only do so at select times and locations. So maybe they have three busses to TTC at 8am, 9am, and 10am, and then three returning at 6p, 7p, 8p. Does that work with your touring schedule? Do you need to "reserve" a spot on the shuttle?

If I was staying off site, I'd get a rental car. I would also suggest looking into rental properties (VRBO, AirB&B, etc). You might be able to get a good deal and save you enough money that you can afford the rental car.

Just my opinion ...

I think in this environment, a rental car is a far safer and convenient option than using Disney transportation and car services. Limiting contact should be a priority.

You are also doing a lot of transferring between properties and this is usually easier with a car.
Capacity on the buses, etc. - is going to be cut drastically and waits may be long - having a car may be easier.

I also would not assume that the Four Seasons will open up with valet parking. Disney owned properties are not.

If the cost fits within your budget, I would suggest keeping the rental. Also, keep in mind that there is no reason to cancel the car now - rental car companies let you cancel up until the time you're supposed to pick up. I suggest that you check the price daily, the cost may drop between now and opening day.

I also would not assume that the Four Seasons will open up with valet parking. Disney owned properties are not.
That's a good point. Their usual parking policy might be different due to Covid. I didn't think of that. I'll call and ask. If you don't have to use valets, that would make me more likely to rent a car.

I would also suggest looking into rental properties (VRBO, AirB&B, etc). You might be able to get a good deal and save you enough money that you can afford the rental car.
For multiple reasons, I never stay at private individuals' rental properties when traveling. In addition, I chose the Four Seasons specifically for its pool complex, which isn't going to be available anywhere else.

I can afford the rental car. I just don't want to waste money if it's superfluous. Good point about needing to know the details of the hotel shuttle. I'll be sure to ask the hotel about the shuttle's hours & if reservations are required.

We always get a rental. Time is money. Waiting for buses or transportation. Cuts into our vacation time. We have also found it wonderful to run to the grocery to grab a case of water. Or snacks. The price we save in those items alone pays for our rental.

After reading that Disney buses will have a maximum of 6 groups allowed on at a time, it's made me think we may need to have a car for our next trip.

I know you're offsite for some of your trip but I'm assuming similar restrictions will be in place.

I'm thinking things will just be delayed quite a bit if nothing else.

I would call the resorts direct and see if they can give you any updates on how they will work their transportation for the near future. Since the parks open in a few weeks they should have a basic plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter