To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Also, I sort of disagree about encouraging a person to go on a ride if they are mildly afraid. Certainly it pays to know your person. Encouraging someone under the right circumstances can build trust! If you know they don't like ghosts, then pushing them to go on a ride with ghosts is out. If however, they are iffy (not total panic attack, but iffy) about a ride that you know has no ghosts - then it may be in their best interest to encourage them to overcome their fears. But not encouraging someone to go on a ride may also damage trust beyond just riding rides.

I speak from experience. One family member once forced me on a ride that I hated when we were small kids. she flat out lied. I didn't trust her about rides for years, and it made me fearful of unknown rides. Ideed, my distrust of her went beyond rides.
Conversely, another friend and frequent WDW companion didn't encourage me to go on a ride that I was iffy about. Now I think about the times I missed out going on a fun ride - sitting out unnecessarily. Again, it damaged my trust in that person. They weren't willing to encourage me to overcome my fear, and didn't listen when I told them what my concerns were (I was an adult by then). I don't blame that person for my fear, but I also don't trust him for advice entirely either. Another person finally encouraged me to overcome my fear - and THAT person gained much trust with me!

My policy now is to try to experience each ride once and judge for myself. I know that ride fears are a very real thing, but I also know that helping someone overcome their fear is a powerful trust building tool!

I definitely agree with you that you have to know the person. And really, a parent should know his/her child and judge based on that. My DD can get herself worked up over what she thinks a ride is. Now, there are rides that I know better than to let her ride. But she was waffling on Haunted Mansion. She really wanted to ride it, but was a little apprehensive. DH told her that he'd give her $5 if she rode with him and didn't panic. She rode it, had a great time and got her $5. It ended up being her favorite ride and she rode it several more times.

Now other rides, like Dinosaur, we won't coerce her to ride. That ride would completely freak her out.

My DS, who is three years younger, has no fear and will ride anything without issue. lol

Also, show your children what a Cast Member looks like. Go up to a female CM and ask them if your children can see their name tag. Tell your kids that if they get lost, they should go find a female CM with a name tag and ask for help. (Not to knock male CM's, but child security advocates recommend asking for help from a woman). I do the same thing with police officers for my kids. I've always had a great experience with CM's and police officers when I do this, as they always have something reassuring to say to the kids and it makes life easier should someone get lost. The security guards at WDW are fabulous as well. My kids will just go up to them and talk to them, now. The goal is get them to be comfortable asking for help if they ever get separated from you. :scared:

I remember my parents used to do this on every trip. It's a good idea to do it on every trip too. A) The tags can change a bit each year and B) your kids might not remember them from year to year. Every day when we entered the parks after the first day, my Dad used to go get the stroller rental (back when they were reasonable! :laughing:) and my Mom would ask me to point out CMs.

I don't know about you but 3 years from now I'm not gonna be looking back at my upcoming vacation thinking "Wow I wish I'd have spent less money

Piglet843, that might often be true, however, IF you are still paying the credit card debt from your trip three years later and find yourself in a financial mess you MIGHT regret it.

That being said, doing without things that you truly need or possibly want, when you CAN afford them can be something to regret.

Balance, it is all about balance. I am often off balance myself but only mentally, not fiscally:rotfl:

SG.

Since it is a tip thread - here's another tip from me. If you (or your kids) are desparate to ride in the front cabin of the monorail...get on the monorail AT EPCOT at or near park opening. Generally people aren't starting from the Epcot parking lot to go to MK. We did this last trip, and there was NO wait for the front, and in fact was only about 6 people on the entire monorail. When we got to the TTC, they kicked us out of the front cabin, but we just hopped back on and rode back to Epcot. You also get some GREAT views of Epcot riding back there when the Monorail goes through the park.

SkierPete

This is a great tip! Me and my boyfriend did this in September of '07 and not only were we the only ones waiting for the front of the monorail, we were the only ones on the monorail! It was my first time riding, too. So it was awesome.

This is a great tip! Me and my boyfriend did this in September of '07 and not only were we the only ones waiting for the front of the monorail, we were the only ones on the monorail! It was my first time riding, too. So it was awesome.

We did this last July at MK park opening... Not only did we get in to ride in the front, we also got into Early EMH's even though we weren't resort guests. I guess they were checking for room keys at the TTC back then.

While on vacation we need to remind ourselves to go with the flow. Maybe you love to plan your vacation (I know I do:goodvibes) but with mother nature we never know what's going to happen. I remember our last Christmas trip at Disney, it was in the 30's when we got to the park on Christmas Day at Epcot. Well, to top it off it started to drizzle quite a bit. We put on our raincoats, and tried to keep an upbeat attitude. I think my family and I used that excuse to stop at every country and try something at the restaurants. :rotfl:

Also, I read on previous posts, to have someone save your spots while someone else gets everyone a snack. Right before Illuminations we always get there early to get a bench and go to France for desserts and coffee. I left my husband with my son saving our spots as my daughter and I went to get our food. When, I got back, people were actually sitting on the bench where we were suppossed to sit. They paid no attention to my husband, when he told them my daughter and I were coming back. We just tried to enjoy ourselves as best as possible, and not let rude people "rain on our parade".

As others have stated give your Fastpasses to others if you don't need them. People are so suprised when you do this. :wizard:Also, if your leaving early, why not give your stroller do someone who's just getting there.princess:

What a nice thing to do for a complete stranger, and you probably them feel so good. I would be shocked beyond if someone did this for my kids and I and I know it would make a wonderful impression on them, and me of course. I will do this from now on, it is a great example to set for our children. GREAT tip!!

My mom and I were in line at Columbia Harbor House on our last day and overheard the family in line behind us. They were reading the menu and prices and calculating what it would be and if they had enough cash and maybe they should just put dinner on the credit card, it was their last day,etc. The kids were so cute and polite and had no idea what it was costing the parents. Anyway, we decided to use our combined 4 leftover CS to pay for theirs. They had no idea we heard them and we just said we didn't want them to go to waste. The mom was nearly in tears. A few minutes later the CM came over to our table and presented us with a couple of special pins and a magical moments certificate for being so kind. Our kids will never forget that moment of sharing with others, that's for sure.

My mom and I were in line at Columbia Harbor House on our last day and overheard the family in line behind us. They were reading the menu and prices and calculating what it would be and if they had enough cash and maybe they should just put dinner on the credit card, it was their last day,etc. The kids were so cute and polite and had no idea what it was costing the parents. Anyway, we decided to use our combined 4 leftover CS to pay for theirs. They had no idea we heard them and we just said we didn't want them to go to waste. The mom was nearly in tears. A few minutes later the CM came over to our table and presented us with a couple of special pins and a magical moments certificate for being so kind. Our kids will never forget that moment of sharing with others, that's for sure.

One of the many things I love about Disney is the social aspect of it, the way it inspires people to do little things to help eachother. Also, I am not a very social person in the real world, but at Disney, I find myself striking up conversations with everyone. I mean, at the supermarket or the mall, what do I have in common with those around me? I don't even know. But at Disney, there is usually one easy topic of conversion, everyone is there because of a love of the parks. You can talk to people from all walks of life.

This leads to another tip...if you have little kids especially, bring things to entertain them while in line. My DW bought some rubber Halloween finger puppets for our first trip with DD in 2006. On the flight down, there was a little girl in the seat in front of us...I entertained her for hours with those finger puppets. We didn't use them much in the parks because we hardly waited in line, but it was great.

SkierPete

I've enjoyed this thread, it started out with some interesting park tips to apply to our trips and some little conveniences we can use and has now evolved into two main lessons: take your time and enjoy yourself and be kind to others around you.
If only the entire world would embrace these two lessons we'd all be in a much better place

I've enjoyed this thread, it started out with some interesting park tips to apply to our trips and some little conveniences we can use and has now evolved into two main lessons: take your time and enjoy yourself and be kind to others around you.
If only the entire world would embrace these two lessons we'd all be in a much better place

:worship:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread also. Thanks so much for all the wonderful tips!

As for child safety, we are making a little badge for my daughter to wear. We have printed a little card (on regular paper) a picture of her with her name. Just below, there are individual pictures of my husband and myself w/ our names and cell phone numbers. (Thanks to a friend who took a few minutes to put the pics together for us!) After I cut them out, I am going to laminate it. Then we will pop it into one of the badge holders w/ a cord so she can wear it like a necklace. That way, if we get separated, she can show a CM the card. Or, if someone else finds her, they can call the number. I like that it has our pics so that no one else would be able to claim her...not that it would happen at the most magical place on earth though. :)

Here is a thread from which we got the idea:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2120861

to steal from someone else: "everything I ever needed to know about life, I learned in Disney World"

Amen.

We've always said Disney was the great equalizer. You see people from so many different walks of life. People who have saved for years for that one special trip and people who can do it on a whim. And they all can be walking down Main Street at the same time grinning. It's a nice feeling to know that deep down, we're really all the same, we really just want to be kids again :wizard:

Amen.

We've always said Disney was the great equalizer. You see people from so many different walks of life. People who have saved for years for that one special trip and people who can do it on a whim. And they all can be walking down Main Street at the same time grinning. It's a nice feeling to know that deep down, we're really all the same, we really just want to be kids again :wizard:

I agree.

Last week we were standing beside a family enjoying wishes, the adults said they had always dreamed of going to Disney World as kids, and now they could finally give that to their children. The kids were all asleep on their strollers by then so they had a breather to enjoy the show.

I have watched Wishes soooo many times I know all the words, the timing, etc so I just stopped looking at the fireworks for a bit and watched the adults turn right back into small children with their faces filled with joy and wonder and it was wonderful.

It made me misty eyed, I really love that kind of magic.

onelilspark and chocokat, that is the true magic of Disney World. People of like hearts, even they may differ in many other ways, gather together, all for the love of THE Mouse!:love:

I grew up watching Walt on TV and remember him showing his idea of building DW. It was a dream to me as well as there was no way I could ever think I would be able to go to such a place. I have never taken it for granted that I am able to go, each and every time.

Slightly Goofy

AWESOME story!! Brought tears to my eyes!!!:thumbsup2

Buzz Litebeer, you and I shall have to share seating sometime. I am seriously warped also, although I am more pixie dust than cobwebs. :rotfl:

Pixieflip, great story. I have done likewise. I think it is more magical to give those moments than to receive. When you give it is often multiplied as it makes others want to be nice also. You warmed the hearts of the family, the CM's who saw it all unfold, and yourself. I would like to share some seating with you also. While seriously warped I have a nice side, and sometimes show it. :rotfl2:

The people, CM's and Guests, who make Disney World the special place it is. Cutbacks or whatever that spirit will survive!:love:

Slightly Goofy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter