Toddlers and the Magic Kingdom

trstno1

Never look back darling. It detracts from the now.
I have a 2 year old daughter that I'm planning to take to WDW in 3 weeks? Does anyone have experience with toddlers at the Magic Kingdom? Are there any suggestions on where we should go, what we should do, what we should avoid? Would the Haunted Mansion be too scarey for her?

Thanks!

Enjoy yourself and don't push the pace. Go at her pace and you'll all be happier vacationers for it.

My DD had just turned 3 when she made her trip. She was unnerved by the large costumed characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pooh, etc.). I never forced her to interact with them and she did fine. She enjoyed watching them from afar. She did love the more "human" characters (the Princesses, Prince Charming, Aladin, etc.).

She loves rides and was heartbroken that she couldn't go on Splash or Big Thunder Mountains. She was fascinated by the Swiss Family Robinson Tree house and Minnie's house. We didn't try the Haunted Mansion.

She loved the parades.

The excitement can be overwhelming so make sure you plan some not so stimulating activities as well. Tom Sawyer Island was a great place to just relax and have fun. We also enjoyed sitting in the rockers on the porch by the Hall of Presidents having snacks and people watching. Riding the train is a great way to get from place to place and it's a great way to see the park.

Make sure to bring changes of clothes and plenty of water to keep her hydrated. Don't forget a hat for sun and plenty of sun block.

I don't know if your daughter still naps - mine was never big on napping. If she does, make sure she gets nap time during the day. If she doesn't, try to spend some time in quiet areas to provide a less stimulating environment to help relax her and help prevent meltdowns (for both of you ;) )

Your daughter can go on anything that doesn't have a height restriction. You will have a great time. Don't push too hard to see everything and enjoy the first time.

Alien encounter is scary
Snow white might be scary for some because of the witch
Haunted mansion might be scary for some also (you can go in and then if she if afraid there is an exit before you get on the ride)

She will be too short for Test Track, Splash mountain, Big thunder mountain, space mountain.

has a 44" height restriction and they don't recommend anyone under 7 experience this attraction because it is quite scary.

Yes, you can exit the Haunted Mansion before getting on the ride but the scariest thing about the attraction is the brief "pre-show" in the stretch room when the lights go out. If your daughter gets through that (mine did at age 1 and 2) then by all means enjoy the ride. Conversely if she's apprehensive after the stretch room don't assume she won't be able to handle the ride portion. Of course, I wouldn't take any child on a ride against his/her will. That would definitely be ruining the spirit of visiting such a fun and happy place.

We took our little one when he was 2yo. He did very well!!! Loved all the rides he could ride. He was not to thrilled with the pre-show at the Haunted Mansion but LOVED the ride. The thunder was a little too loud for him.
He was still doing the nap thing so with our group the adults took advantage of his naps to hit the "big" rides.
The Country Bear Jamboree was a BIG hit!!!
But it is a must to take it at the toddlers pace. Our problem was that he was to hyped after the parks that we had to make him go to sleep so that he would be up for the next day!!!

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!! 6 MORE DAYS AND WE ARE THERE!!!!!!!

We took our DS to MK on his 2nd birthday. He was a little clingy in the pre-show for the Haunted Mansion, but actually fell asleep on the ride. We were at DL a few months ago, and he was two weeks shy of his third birthday. This time, he got pretty scared during the pre-show. He started to cry while we were walking to the ride portion from the stretching room (I believe you ride through this portion at MK). A few calming words and he was ok, but I would be prepared to exit early.

As far as the rest of the park, at MK when he was turning two, he didn't enjoy too many of the rides. He didn't cry, but he closed his eyes on most. He did like Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear and Its a Small World (of course).

At almost three, he enjoyed most of the rides he was able to go on at DL. He particularly loved the Teacups. (no extra spinning...) He liked Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Country Bear Jamboree, the DL Railroad, and the parades.

OH, we have the Disneyland Sing a long video tape, and he LOVED watching it before our trip to DL. There's a song in there called "Walkin' Right Down the Middle of Main Street USA". When we went to DL, he pulled me over to the middle of Main Street and started singing the song while we walked down Main Street. AWESOME!

He napped in his stroller, so we didn't need to leave the park for that. He walked about 1/3 of the time when he turned 2, and almost all the time when he turned 3. Parking and picking up the stroller before and after each ride was the only hassle, and that's not too bad. Besides, if he's walking, the packages go in the stroller while we walk...

Thanks for all of the input. This site is great!

One more question - nobody mentioned Pirates of the Carribean - is that too scarey?

I guess Pirates can be a little scary because there's fake fire and scary looking pirates. My kids have never been afraid of it but some might. Both of our kids have gone as two year olds and we've always had a great time at WDW. My advice is beware of Goofys Barnstormer. I don't think there's a height requirement but there it goes pretty fast and I felt like my kids would fly out if I didn't have a strong hold on them. Granted, they had a great time but DH and I were a bit surprised that no one's ever flown out of the thing because the seat belt/bar is not that high tech. It's fun, just hold on tight!! Also, a long train ride around the park if you're trying to get them to fall asleep as is walking (with stroller) on the bumpy wooden walkway near the paddleboat. That wooden walkway knocks my kids out every time. Have fun!

We just returned from our trip with a 1.5yo and an almost 4yo. My 4yo DD HATED the HM and is still mad at me for making her go on it (BTW, she HATED the Peter Pan ride just as much, go figure). However, my DS who was 1.5yo seemed to like it and was facinated by most of the "ghosts", he would try to reach out and grab things. I think maybe he was too young to understand about being scared? He seemed to enjoy HM as well as any other ride we took him on.

On his 2nd birthday, DS just hid his face the whole time. Wasn't particularly upset, just didn't want to look.

On last trip, 2 weeks before third birthday, he was still apprehensive, but did watch most of it. He definitely was a little scared, but nowhere close to tears. And since then, the song is a favorite of his, and he likes playing with his toy pirate ship, so I guess it didn't traumatize him.

EDITED: (I'm referring to Pirates. Sorry for not clarifying originally)

I suggest watching the Disney vacation video before going.

POC and PP were too much for my 3 YO DD. SW was the favorite.

Have fun, try everything once. 2 or 3 times for the favorites

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter