Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

Hi Carrie

Just wanted to say I am enjoying reading your TR. My DH and I are planning to go to TDR in September so I am taking lots of notes. I found you on Micechat and have been following your TR there too and couldn't get enough of your style of writing so I have now gone back and read all your trip reports and found them all very fun to read and even learned a few things about WDW and DL that I didn't know about! Anyway keep up the good work and I am looking forward to reading the rest!

Crista

P.S. on another note: I told my DH about you riding our favorite ride the Haunted Mansion at DL and WDW on the same day and now he wants to do that challenge too! Do you ever attend any of the HM events? were you at the 40th?

DSC00730.jpg

Wow, I have to chime in and say that I had BOTH of those Barbie dolls too! Ah, to be reminded of 1985. :goodvibes

This trip report is SO fascinating, really awesome! Thanks Carrie!

A question... my 10 year old daughter is BIG into Japanese puzzle erasers right now, did you happen to notice if they are BIG in Japan too?? I imagine myself in Japan buying erasers, bags and bags of erasers :lmao:

Tokyo is so overwhelmingly amazing! Were you in awe the whole time you were there? I must comment you on your bravery too . . . to go out solo in a foreign country takes guts!!

Bring on Tokyo Disney!!

Loved your foray into the "real" Tokyo! It is so great that you were brave and ate the different foods and just enjoyed the culture. Your description of the cashier's constant diatribe was so :rotfl2:! I loved the story about the loyal dog - so sad. And the Japanese version of history is interesting! In their classrooms, the "fire" came out of nowhere! ;)

OMG! I had that Barbie too!

I had the same Barbie Doll!

First I have to say I HAD THAT SAME BARBIE DOLL TOO! I have to see if it is still in my Barbie box which has been stashed away.

Looks like we need to start a club! :rotfl: Now the question is, do any of us still have that Barbie? :teeth: I know I don't, but when I was cleaning out my dad's house, I discovered that I do still have the dress from the one pictured in the box!

Amazing update! You did so much in one day!

It's crazy how much you can get done there in one day. I think it's the combo of longer business hours (sometimes til 8pm or 9pm) and efficient public transportation.

Hi, Carrie! I'm really enjoying this trip report Those stores are amazing!

Thanks for reading along!

Being a newbie, this is by far THE BEST thread ever! Great job caputuring the Tokyo area and all its greatness! Looking forward the Disney report.

Yay! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

First I have to say I HAD THAT SAME BARBIE DOLL TOO! I have to see if it is still in my Barbie box which has been stashed away. I just love reading your trip report. The Prada building was fabulous! I have never been too interested in architecture but that was a work of art.

I have a Barbie box too!!! I don't know what I think I'm going to do with them though (because I certainly don't want some 5 year old pawing through them...) :lmao:

Coldstone cakebatter with graham cracker :thumbsup2

Exactly! That's my fave (but I have them throw in some peanut butter, and then it tastes just like my grandma's peanut butter pie)!

Like so many others, I, too, had Peaches and Cream Barbie! Remember how she came with this little top-like spinner where you could spin it and see what she should do that day -- I think there were things like a cruise boat pictured on it.

:rotfl2: That is HIGH-larious—I'd forgotten about that!

Also, I had Crystal Barbie (the one pictured in the box), and she had these sparkly plastic shoes that looked like glass slippers??? (I did love my Barbies when I was younger! ;))

I *loved* those shoes! They were they became THE shoes for whatever my favorite Barbie was at the time. And when I discovered the Crystal Barbie dress at my dad's house a few months ago, the shoes were there too! I should put them on display... I mean, Patrick has stuffed every last shelf and bookcase with his toys, why shouldn't I?

Hi Carrie

Just wanted to say I am enjoying reading your TR. My DH and I are planning to go to TDR in September so I am taking lots of notes. I found you on Micechat and have been following your TR there too and couldn't get enough of your style of writing so I have now gone back and read all your trip reports and found them all very fun to read and even learned a few things about WDW and DL that I didn't know about! Anyway keep up the good work and I am looking forward to reading the rest!

Wow! Thanks for the kind words! I'm :cloud9: to hear you enjoyed those reports.

P.S. on another note: I told my DH about you riding our favorite ride the Haunted Mansion at DL and WDW on the same day and now he wants to do that challenge too! Do you ever attend any of the HM events? were you at the 40th?

No... I was broke at the time and figured I'd get shut-out by Disneyland's wretched special-event reservation system anyway. Did you go? Was it fun? I think if they'd actually done something inside the ride, rather than in the food court at DCA, I probably would have moved heaven and earth to do it though...

Wow, I have to chime in and say that I had BOTH of those Barbie dolls too! Ah, to be reminded of 1985.

This is fabulous! We really should start a club! :teeth:

This trip report is SO fascinating, really awesome! Thanks Carrie!

A question... my 10 year old daughter is BIG into Japanese puzzle erasers right now, did you happen to notice if they are BIG in Japan too?? I imagine myself in Japan buying erasers, bags and bags of erasers :lmao:

Dang—you know I didn't notice this, but that doesn't mean they aren't big. There was SO much to see over there, it was kind of overwhelming. I think a good rule of thumb is, if you're into something and they have it in Japan, you will definitely end up buying mass quantities of it there. :rotfl:

Tokyo is so overwhelmingly amazing! Were you in awe the whole time you were there?

Yes! Patrick and I kept saying "I can't believe we're actually in Tokyo!" Toward the end of the trip, when we'd start to get blasé, we'd try to remind each other to appreciate it.

Loved your foray into the "real" Tokyo! It is so great that you were brave and ate the different foods and just enjoyed the culture.

It definitely made the experience that much more enriching. I shudder to think how much I missed when I took my first trip abroad as a finicky teenager. :rolleyes:

No... I was broke at the time and figured I'd get shut-out by Disneyland's wretched special-event reservation system anyway. Did you go? Was it fun? I think if they'd actually done something inside the ride, rather than in the food court at DCA, I probably would have moved heaven and earth to do it though...

I did go, it was our first HM event and we really enjoyed ourselves and meeting other diehard fans of the ride. My favorite thing was getting to hear Tony Baxter, Kim Irvine, Alice Davis and X Atencio talk about the ride.

Well it's now official we just booked our flight today to Japan for Sept 14 - 28th!!! Whoohoo :cool1: I have never been out of North America so I am super excited! Let the planning begin!

If I still have the Barbie, it is somewhere in my grandparents basement and who knows what can be growing on it. (I wonder if that is the Barbie the I cut bangs on...)

I *loved* those shoes! They were they became THE shoes for whatever my favorite Barbie was at the time. And when I discovered the Crystal Barbie dress at my dad's house a few months ago, the shoes were there too! I should put them on display... I mean, Patrick has stuffed every last shelf and bookcase with his toys, why shouldn't I?

Barbie should definitely make an appearance in the bookcases -- Patrick's toys would be in awe! :lmao:

The best part about being away for so long? Coming back to a Lurkyloo update! Amazing stuff! DH and I will be so broke if (when) we go to Japan. It's going to be insane!

Really enjoying your TR! I love Tokyo/TDL and Kyoto! We went last April. It was a wonderful trip.:thumbsup2

I did go, it was our first HM event and we really enjoyed ourselves and meeting other diehard fans of the ride. My favorite thing was getting to hear Tony Baxter, Kim Irvine, Alice Davis and X Atencio talk about the ride.

Well it's now official we just booked our flight today to Japan for Sept 14 - 28th!!! Whoohoo :cool1: I have never been out of North America so I am super excited! Let the planning begin!

HOORAY! Congratulations! You will have SO much fun!

If I still have the Barbie, it is somewhere in my grandparents basement and who knows what can be growing on it. (I wonder if that is the Barbie the I cut bangs on...)

Hee hee! I did that too!

Barbie should definitely make an appearance in the bookcases -- Patrick's toys would be in awe! :lmao:

Totally! I'monna do it!

The best part about being away for so long? Coming back to a Lurkyloo update! Amazing stuff! DH and I will be so broke if (when) we go to Japan. It's going to be insane!

Oh man, you gotta do a trip report of your Disneyland Paris trip on the DIS, 'K?

Really enjoying your TR! I love Tokyo/TDL and Kyoto! We went last April. It was a wonderful trip.:thumbsup2

Oh how cool! Thanks for reading along!

I am a bad wife. Today I shamefully went to Tokyo Disneyland for the first time EVER, on a day that Patrick couldn't go. But I have a really good excuse: Initially I was just going to go down there to shoot pix of the resort area and the local hotels, but then we found out Monsters Inc. Ride ‘n’ Go Seek would be closed for rehab by the time we got there for our official Disney trip. I couldn't very well travel aaaalllll the way to Japan (this phrase eventually became our excuse to do just about anything) and NOT ride Monsters Inc. if I had the chance.

My punishment was that I did it all wrong. For a veteran Disney park tourist who times every move down to the second to avoid lines and crowds and maximize fun, this is almost a fate worse than death. For starters, I should have gone the previous day, a Friday, when I could have bought the After 6 Passport for a mere ¥3,100. Instead, I went on THE busiest day of the week at the start of Top Season and paid ¥4,700 for the Starlight Passport, which meant I had to wait til 3pm to enter the park and only saved ¥1,100 (remember, this is like $11.99 in real money). Stoopid! Stoopid! It woulda been worth the 12 extra bucks for a full-day passport just to get there at park opening and run to Monsters Inc. first, instead of entering the park at peak time and having to wait in The Longest Disney Park Line I Have Ever Waited In EVER.

But first, we had breakfast. And I only mention this because it was one of those cafes you hear about where you look at the fake food display, make your selection, and pay at a machine outside. Then you take the receipt it spits out and go inside to get your food!

"Let's see… I'll have the plastic noodles in lacquer with a vinyl poached egg!"
DSC00771.jpg

DSC00773.jpg

What struck me was that it was an otherwise primitive little place inside, with no tables, just a counter around the perimeter, and one guy working in the kitchen. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of this part.

I set out for Disney after I sent Patrick off to the TV shoot, his upper lip stiff as he tried to see through stinging tears of disappointment. I managed to get down to Disney on the JR train OK using a combination of directions from Kevin Yee’s book and the Tokyo Disney forum on Mice Chat. Basically, at Tokyo Station you just follow signs for the JR Keiyo Line, which is red, to Maihama. When you get to Platform 3 & 4, the trains on both sides go to Maihama, but one is a rapid train that only makes 3 stops instead of 6 (in my three trips to Disney, this was always the one at Platform 4). The express train seemed to shave maybe 10 or 12 minutes off the trip, but it never took longer than 30 minutes on the regular train.

I was compelled to shoot all the signs for you.

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

I was also intent on photographing the infamous Tokyo Station Tunnel of Doom and its corresponding Staircase of Despair, both of which have been frequently discussed on Mice Chat as major impediments to taking the subway from Narita or Tokyo to Disney if you have luggage.

No elevator here!
DSC05329.jpg

Will it ever END?!!
DSC05330.jpg

Why didn't I leave my luggage here – WHY?!
DSC00777.jpg

I must admit, it IS a long tunnel. Like 10-minutes-of-walking long… But when Patrick saw the Staircase of Despair later, after my days of build-up, he was like "What's the big deal? Just carry your luggage up one piece at a time." However, I noticed we never did end up making that trek in either direction with our luggage….

The first thing you see when you get off the train at Maihama (besides, you know, the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, Space Mountain, Ikspiari and Bon Voyage…) is this beacon of Disney in an unfamiliar land:

DSC00781.jpg

It felt weird the whole day—everything was simultaneously familiar and unfamiliar to this Disney vet. It didn't help that Maihama Station was a madhouse of Saturday-morning crowds, with the people darting everywhere giving me the feeling that I needed to start darting too!

(Madhouse not entirely pictured)
DSC00786.jpg

Another place much discussed among Westerners is the Becker's restaurant in Maihama Station. Apparently it's a good place for a cheap, familiar meal. I didn't fly aaaalllll the way to Tokyo to eat food I could get back home, though, so we never tried it. Also, I was confused because there appeared to be two Becker's… unless "Beck's" is a brazenly named competitor…

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00901.jpg

To the left as you come out of the station are the Tokyo Disney Resort Welcome Center and the Ikspiari shopping mall that stands in for Downtown Disney.

DSC00903.jpg

If you're staying at one of the Disney hotels or partner hotels, you can check into your hotel and hand off your luggage at the Welcome Center and even buy your tickets there so you can go straight to the parks.

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00785.jpg

It took being shuttled among three different cast members for me to find out that day guests can't buy park tickets here—for that, you have to go to the park gate. More time wasted – stoopid! Stoopid! EDIT: I realize now that there *was* a ticket counter at the Welcome Center, but it was on the bottom floor and had only been open a few days at that point. Heck, maybe the CMs were even trying to direct me there! At any rate, future visitors take note: you can buy your park tix at the Welcome Center if you want to.

The Tokyo Disney Resort Line (i.e. the Monorail) is between the Welcome Center and Ikspiari. Taking pictures of all this stuff helped me get my bearings.

DSC00905.jpg

DSC00783.jpg

Buses, including the shuttles from the partner hotels, stop on the ground level below the station.

DSC00899.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

The Disney Resort Cruiser (bus) connects the Ambassador Hotel with the two theme parks, since it's the only Disney resort not on the monorail line.

DSC00793.jpg

Actually, I'm gonna borrow Disney's map and put it here, cuz I think it will really help:

TDLResortMap.jpg

I set out on the bridge from Maihama Station to Disneyland, which passes a giant suitcase housing the mega gift shop Bon Voyage. It's closer to a World of Disney than a Disney Store, (which is inside Ikspiari) but is much smaller than either of the ones at the US parks.

I love that one of the doors is in the latch!

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00789.jpg

Along the way, I saw another familiar-yet-strangely-unfamiliar site…

DSC00790.jpg

First stop: Ticket booths!

DSC00797.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

The prices, circa March 2010:
DSC00799.jpg

DSC01069.jpg

Starlight Passport in hand, I made my way to the monorail station at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, bound for Bayside Station and the Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotels. It seemed silly to pay to ride for one stop, but heck if I knew how to get there on foot. (I actually ended up wandering between the partner hotels later, and there didn't seem to be any pedestrian walkways connecting them with Disneyland.)

View of Tokyo Disneyland Station from the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel
DSC01064.jpg

So in Tokyo, the Disney Resort Monorail costs money. I have heard this is due to a law that requires operators of anything that functions as transportation to charge fares. The same law is the reason that the Disneyland Railroad doesn't go all the way around the park, or anywhere in particular, really! More on that later…

Guests of the Disney resorts get free passes for the monorail. The rest of us have to buy tickets. You can either pay for individual tickets each time you ride or buy a day (or multi-day) pass or use your Pasmo/Suica. I decided to buy a 1-day pass cuz it was only ¥650 and I didn't wanna use up my Pasmo before I got back to Tokyo.

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC00802.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

Why aren't our monorails this cool?
DSC00803.jpg

So long, elaborate Tokyo Disneyland Hotel
DSC00806.jpg

Hello, bland Official Hotels!
DSC00974.jpg

My goal was to shoot lots of pix of the Official Hotels that aren't the Hilton and the Sheraton because they get such short shrift in all the English-language info about Tokyo Disney. True, this is because they cater almost exclusively to the Japanese, but all of them have English-language websites that are no more difficult to navigate than those of the hotels I booked in Tokyo. And with lower rates than the Disney hotels and even the Hilton and Sheraton, in some cases, they could be great alternatives.

All the partner hotels are served by a single monorail stop, Bayside Station.

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

I took one pic of the Sheraton but skipped it altogether because the author of the Tokyo Disney guidebook I'm working on stayed there and got tons.

DSC00814.jpg

My first stop was Hotel Okura Tokyo Bay.

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

Ooh! Ooh! Wedding!

DSC00821.jpg

This lead me to sneak into the wedding-planning salon…

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

All the Official Hotels have a Disney Fantasy store in them, in case you can't survive walking more than 500 feet without purchasing Disney plush.

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

My next stop was a hotel that doesn't appear to have a name because it is ABANDONED! We'll call it Spooky Empty Fun-Time Hotel. I adore poking around shuttered hotels, and not just the ones that have cursed elevators in them—I got to explore LA's world-famous Ambassador Hotel a few months before they tore it down, and that place was amazing! However, Spooky Empty Fun-Time Hotel had a giant padlock on it and no evidence of any bored security guards who might take me on an impromptu tour.

DSC00810.jpg

Also, there were cameras…
DSC00828.jpg

Aiyeeeee! It's the ghost of a faceless tourist in a doofy hat! Oh wait, that's me…
DSC00826.jpg

OK, stop the presses! I realized there was a clue in one of my photos, namely, the NAME of the darn place, and a quick Google search reveals that it isn't a hotel at all! It is the Tokyo Bay NK Hall, an indoor sporting arena that holds 7,000 people. It is no longer used—possibly because, as one site suggested, it is too far from the center of Tokyo—but at one time it hosted such acts as Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Muse, and Skid Row (but not at the same time, due to fears of a citywide shortage of black nail polish). And another singer who performed there, Shizuka Kudo, is the voice of Megara in the Japanese dub of the Disney film Hercules—a-ha! It's all making sense now!

We now return you to your trip report all ready in progress…

Next stop: Hilton Tokyo Bay

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

Oooh! Another wedding!
DSC00833.jpg

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

This was my first of the many uber-themed restaurants I encountered on Disney property. I think it was actually four restaurants!

DSC00839.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

DSC00841.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

I didn't get to see any of the rooms, but here's a picture of a picture—good enough, right?

DSC00845.jpg

Those Happy Magic rooms look cool!

DSC00838.jpg

Off I trudged to Tokyo Bay Hotel Toku

DSC00807.jpg

Except I couldn't figure out how to get there on foot! I ended up wandering around the backside, which is nothing more than a windswept frontage road on the bay.

DSC00847.jpg

However, this gave me the opportunity to spot and photograph an actual Friendly Airport Limousine in its natural habitat—a travel editor's dream!

Talk about false advertising, this looks nothing like a limousine!
DSC00850.jpg

By the time I had circumnavigated the entire hotel, the sight of the lobby made me wonder if I was delirious.

DSC00851.jpg

It's basically a soaring atrium with a mock village set down in it.

DSC00854.jpg

DSC00856.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

Tucked off to one side is the check-in desk.

DSC00853.jpg

There's also a bridal salon, because, I'm starting to gather, getting married is the thing to do on a Japanese vacation...?

DSC00861.jpg

Mmmmm…. Looks like octopus sushi…
DSC00862.jpg

The Disney Fantasy Shop had some adorable window displays.

DSC00857.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00859.jpg

Before I left, I stepped out onto a balcony at the back of the hotel to see the view.

So that's what a wind tunnel looks like!
DSC00855.jpg

It's interesting that Disney is on the edge of this huge blue bay, but all the hotels are these bunkers built around interior courtyards and facing away from it because the winds are so fierce.

Next stop: Tokyo Bay Maihama Hotel

DSC00863.jpg

DSC00865.jpg

The Grand Floridian may have a fancy carriage photo-op out front, but I'd like to see a horse try and pull an Impala!!!
DSC00883.jpg

Maihama Hotel felt the most chic and modern of all the Official Hotels.

DSC00873.jpg

Oh my gawd, it's the Ghost Tourist again! Oh wait—just me… again…
DSC00879.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

DSC00872.jpg

People were posing for pictures in front of this fountain, so I figured I'd better get it too!

DSC00875.jpg

DSC00876.jpg

Why's Mickey always in a cage at the Disney Fantasy store? It's as if they know he'd escape to a real Disney hotel, given the chance…
DSC00877.jpg

The last stop was Sunroute Plaza Tokyo.

DSC00867.jpg

They don't come any bland-er!
DSC00891.jpg

Obligatory wedding venue
DSC00886.jpg

I felt sorry for all the disused outdoor pools at Tokyo Disney. I don't understand why they don't let you swim in them during the non-summer months if you want to. I would have done it!

Oh wait—maybe this one's just for decoration?
DSC00892.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

You can tell it's "California" by the Palm Beach-style neon!
DSC00887.jpg

Inside the Disney Fantasy store…
DSC00894.jpg

Kawaiiiiiiiii!
DSC00895.jpg

Inexplicably, one wing has received a 1950s makeover. Looking at their website, I see that another wing has been done over to feel like a cruise ship, while the third is made up to look like a tired 1980s motel.

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

Exhausted from my tour and seeing no pedestrian path to the parks, I grabbed a shuttle bus that must've been boosted from Angelyne's garage and rode it back to Maihama Station.

DSC00884.jpg

DSC00898.jpg

Next stop: Ikspiari!

From everything I'd read, I imagined Ikspiari to be a big giant box of a mall, but it turned out to be more of the modern kind of mall, with several distinctly themed areas connected by labyrinthine passages. It felt like every time I turned a corner, I discovered a whole new and completely different area.

Main Entrance Courtyard
DSC00906.jpg

Museum Lane… which looks nothing like a museum…
DSC00907.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

Fabulous slogan!
DSC00909.jpg

I think this is the Traders' Passage section of Ikspiari
DSC00952.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

This store was full of stuff Patrick would have loved—actually, a lot of it was stuff he does love cuz it's sold in his favorite shops over here.

DSC00955.jpg

DSC00954.jpg

DSC00956.jpg

In case you didn't know, this diagram explains the notebook's bonus feature…
DSC00957.jpg

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

More patisserie—macaroons appear to be a "thing" in Tokyo!

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

Mmmmm…. AstroTurf…
DSC01008.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

The top level is called Chef's Row cuz it has most of the table-service restaurants.

DSC01006.jpg

Back down in Traders' Pasage was an adorable café selling all manner of savory pastries, including… Belgian waffle sandwiches?!!!
DSC00990.jpg

However, I decided to eat in the food hall in the basement, which was appropriately named "Food Food."

DSC01002.jpg

I followed the rule of thumb about finding the place with the biggest line, which was at this one.

DSC01003.jpg

They were making something that I don't know what it is, but I shall henceforth refer to as OctoBalls. When I saw the chefs dump ginormous pieces of octopus on griddles full of fried dough balls, I was sold. It turns out they sell these at stands all over town, so they must be popular everywhere. Usually the stand features an adorable cartoon octopus on it somewhere. Check out the cooking process!

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

I can barely feed myself with chopsticks, yet somehow these folks use them to shape liquid batter into balls while it cooks!
DSC00995.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

The finished product looks like this:

DSC00998.jpg

When I got to the front of the line they must've asked me which of the various powders and sauces I wanted on my OctoBalls, but all I could do was smile and nod, which means I got The Works.

DSC01000.jpg

Just in case I didn't like the OctoBalls, I stopped by a deli counter to get some tempura shrimp and this delicious heart attack on a plate that was a combination of egg salad and pasta salad with ham.

DSC00999.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

The OctoBalls turned out to be just OK—I think the dust on top was some herb or spice I don't like. But this was when I began to notice something else wonderful about Japanese food: It is always served hot! Whether you're at a counter or at a table-service restaurant, your food always arrives hot. I feel like American restaurants are content with lukewarm most of the time.

After lunch, or maybe before, I decided to explore the Disney Store.

DSC01011.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

They seemed to stock almost entirely different merchandise than Bon Voyage and the park gift shops.

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00911.jpg

DSC00912.jpg

I totally should have bought one of these—they were even on sale!
DSC00914.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

How often do you see characters from Silly Symphonies in US Disney stores? Um, NEVER!
DSC00918.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

I shot a bunch of pictures of the ThinkWay Toy Story toys because I didn't know you could get them in the States.

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

They are SPENDY – that Buzz is ¥9,975!

Cheaper versions:

DSC00930.jpg

I also shot a lot of the collectible stuff on behalf of our Disneyana-collecting uncle. But it all looked really familiar—I'm pretty sure you can get most of it over here.

DSC00932.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

Well, you can't get this over here:

DSC00936.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

We noticed a lot of this "cute animal dressed as another cute animal" business all over Tokyo, not just at Disney. How are you supposed to resist DOUBLE cute rays?!

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00942.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

I'm pretty sure that big Stitch is life-size!
DSC00946.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

This was my first sighting of omiyage, the gift-packaged snacks that simplify the Japanese custom of buying souvenirs for everyone you know when you go on vacation.

DSC00948.jpg

DSC00949.jpg

Every so often, this Ariel starts singing, which lures in adorable tots for you to take pictures of.

DSC01013.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter