Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

After that I wandered down the main drag in Ginza, which is Tokyo’s answer to Beverly Hills, stopping in big shiny department stores to look at makeup and accessories. I stumbled across this amazing Chanel pop-up store designed to promote some new lipgloss or lipstick. It had a row of makeup mirrors, and professional makeup artists were giving makeovers! I tried to sign up, but they were booked for the rest of the promotion – weeks and weeks.

IMG_3673.jpg

Finally I got to Ito-ya, the biggest stationery shop in Tokyo. The guidebook said it was 3 floors, but it was really 8 floors, one devoted to office supplies, one just pens, one all datebooks and journals, etc. I was on a mission to find cute Japanese stationery for my pal Jensey, who’d given me a generous budget and free reign to pick whatever I thought was the best.

IMG_3671.jpg

After exploring 7 floors, I was kinda disappointed I’d only found one cute set of stationery for Jensey. And then I went down to the basement and hit the jackpot – holy crap, it was wall-to-wall adorable stationery sets exactly like she wanted! And there was a whole corner of just Disney stuff that was gorgeous—super-classy, some of it die-cut, all of it sweet enough to give you a toothache. So I got her a few too many things (like these dumb 3D postcards – the 3D is amazing, but the images are mostly silly. And I thought they were ¥80, but it turns out that’s how much postage they need—they were actually ¥525!)

My Ito-ya haul
DSC00703.jpg

Afterward, I poked my head in Hotel Gracery Ginza, the place we were going to stay before I started worrying about having to make subway connections with luggage on the way back from Disney. I’d still consider it for a future trip – I was able to book an amazing rate of $100/night directly through their website before I changed my mind. The location can’t be beat – right around the corner from Chuo-Dori, the main drag, and fairly close to the Ginza subway station. The rooms are stylish and look no smaller than those of most budget Tokyo hotels.

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

From there it was more wandering into department stores and stuff. I found a giant poster of Michael Buble, which I was compelled to shoot for Jensey.

Amazingly, he’s not selling anything… except himself!
IMG_3676.jpg

At the end of the main drag I found Hakuhinkan Toy Park, a ginormous 4-level toy store full of more Westerners than I’d seen anywhere since we left San Francisco. One whole floor was plush, and there was a huge display of Totoro merch.

IMG_3680.jpg

Knowing that we were going to the Ghibli museum in a few weeks, I resisted the urge to buy anything. But now I wish I hadn’t, cuz the shop there had hardly any plush or toys—very disappointing.

I knew I had to bring Patrick back to this place, if only to shoot a pic of him with this guy:

IMG_3679.jpg

Until then, I got us some cute blind-box toys from a series of animals in cups (we got a parakeet in a teacup and a squirrel in a soup bowl). Then I wandered a few blocks away to the Sony demonstration store and watched 3D TV. Can’t wait til I can afford that!

My last excursion was a search for the Hermes store. I’d noticed a lot of designers made inexpensive toaru—the little hand towels that many Japanese carry with them because so few public restrooms have paper towels. My pal Anita collects Hermes scarves, and while there’s no way I could afford to bring her back one of those, I thought maybe they’d also sell toaru. Trying to find Hermes turned out to be a big adventure and the first test of my Japanese. It started when I spotted a woman in a kimono toting an Hermes shopping bag and asked her “Hermes, doko deska?”

(Actual woman not pictured)
IMG_3683.jpg

Asking the question turned out to be the easy part – it’s understanding the answer that I had trouble with! I only got so far before I needed to find someone else to ask, so I popped into a mens' store, and later Dolce & Gabbana. Following this sort of breadcrumb trail of information from person to person, I finally spotted Hermes. When the two men smoking out front saw me stop, gasp, and whip out my camera, they scooted sideways until they were out of the shot...

I guess this other guy wanted to be in the shot!

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

It was an amazingly designed store, and the toaru were amazingly priced at ¥10,900 yen. Sorry, Anita! Hope ya like hotel headbands!

It was getting to be dinnertime, so I wandered around Ginza looking for a restaurant that wasn’t in a basement or a windowless department store. I found a moderately priced place on Chuo-dori and had a sort of Coquilles St. Jaques for under ¥2000. (No pix! Argh!)

When I got back to the hotel, we’d been moved to the bigger room they’d promised us… and I HATED it! It may have been slightly bigger, but it was dark, sat half a floor below ground level, faced a dirt patch in front of a concrete wall, and had windows you couldn’t open.

The last part was the deal breaker for me because Akasaka Excel Tokyu Hotel is one of those hotels where the thermostat in your room doesn't work unless they've turned on AC for the whole building... which they hadn't... and it was so stuffy in there I could barely breathe.

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

I kinda freaked out and practically started hyperventilating when I called the front desk and the guy said there were no other rooms available til Sunday. Then I pulled it together and decided to try asking someone else, so I went down to the front desk. This time I got a guy who set to work immediately, dashing between two computers and typing furiously until he turned up a room just like our old one, but on the 10th floor – hooray!!!

The rest of the night was spent unpacking in our new room and getting us all settled in for the next 5 days.

Up Next: A visit to a real Mitsukoshi department store, and it’s not anything like the one in Epcot!

I love the TR - I find ever single bit of it fascinating. And extra thanks for the pics of "H". That one is supposed to be AWESOME. I'm going to "The Mothership" in Paris (if that dang dust cloud ever dissipates). Your stationary haul is truly, truly epic. I'm sure there were squeees of joy when the package was opened.

I cannot get over the fantastic packaging! Every single food stuff looks sooooo pretty! How can you resist them? You can't! Thanks for that update!

Ohhhh the 100% Chocolate place looks wonderful. It would be so tempting to try each number. lol What you ordered looks so good. :)

I am so with you, I too hate hotel rooms where you can't control the thermostat. Did you know that when you booked? If not that really is something they should state in their room descriptions.

How was your bed in this hotel? I ask because the hotel we stayed at in Tokyo(non-Disney) the beds were very hard. And there was something up with the pillows. One side was soft and one side, well Im not sure what was in it, but it was far from soft. lol I wasn't sure if it was just the hotel we were at or if its a Japanese thing. So thats why I ask how your bed was.

We have the key cards that turn on the lights in the UK as well, and a similar train ticket system.

I didn't know you used to live in London Carrie? What did you do over here?

This is the coolest TR EVER!!!!!!!

:rotfl2: Gawrsh, thanks! :goofy:

I love the TR - I find ever single bit of it fascinating. And extra thanks for the pics of "H". That one is supposed to be AWESOME. I'm going to "The Mothership" in Paris (if that dang dust cloud ever dissipates). Your stationary haul is truly, truly epic. I'm sure there were squeees of joy when the package was opened.

I cannot get over the fantastic packaging! Every single food stuff looks sooooo pretty! How can you resist them? You can't! Thanks for that update!

Oh no! I hope the dust cloud doesn't cancel your trip - I'm dying to see your pix from Disneyland Paris and, of course, The Mothership. :teeth:

I am so with you, I too hate hotel rooms where you can't control the thermostat. Did you know that when you booked? If not that really is something they should state in their room descriptions.

Nope - no mention. I think the only reason I knew about it was from reading descriptions of of other hotels on TripAdvisor. I should prolly post my review there too...

How was your bed in this hotel? I ask because the hotel we stayed at in Tokyo(non-Disney) the beds were very hard. And there was something up with the pillows. One side was soft and one side, well Im not sure what was in it, but it was far from soft. lol I wasn't sure if it was just the hotel we were at or if its a Japanese thing. So thats why I ask how your bed was.

I think our bed was prolly pretty firm. I like a firm mattress, though, so I didn't really notice. DH is more of a squishy mattress guy, but he seemed OK. And yes! The pillows at this hotel (and only this one) were unusual. One was memory foam and one was filled with buckwheat. I have a completely irrational phobia of beanbags, but I did OK with the buckwheat pillow. :cutie:

This is sooooo awesome...:worship:

:rotfl: Glad you're enjoying it, despite the distinct lack of Disney so far...

Sounds like a great shopping adventure! Love the chocolate cafe. And nice haul of toiletries at the hotel

...And haul I did - on the way home, about 1/3 of my suitcase was taken up by purloined hotel toiletries! :lmao:

Sounds like another great day! Looking forward to the next update

Me too! It's the day before the first day I went to Disney!

We have the key cards that turn on the lights in the UK as well, and a similar train ticket system.

I didn't know you used to live in London Carrie? What did you do over here?

And don't you guys have better cell phones than we do too? It's our dearth of public transportation (well, at least in LA) that really gets me, though.

I lived in London in the late '90s, right after college, and had two jobs: one at an audio music magazine (meaning it came on CD!) and the other at The Body Shop in Piccadilly Circus. I loved it - I'd always been an Anglophile, plus it was my first time living in a big city. After I got back to the US I spent a year trying to figure out a way to get another job back there, but it's pretty difficult unless you can find someone to sponsor you. But I love to visit! :goodvibes

Okay, that Chocolate shop looks AMAZING, and all the wrapped up food items, yes, too cute, the packaging for everything in Japan seems like half the fun! It is like a "Bento Box" with sushi... I love ordering it just for the presentation alone! :laughing: I cant get over the Japanese love of desserts and elaborate sweets! Neat pics of all the shopping places, etc. I am cracking up that you are hitting all the American staples -- 7 Eleven, Mickey D's, etc.. :rolleyes: Love the strawberry cake art! Little did they know how CAKE is your second hobby!

Wow, I there is NO way I can go to Japan. I'd have to just eat at McDonald's and then I'd get really mad for being too chicken to try the other food. (I am a picky eater; what a horrible curse to have.)

I have a question. When you were taking the picture of Hermes and the two fellows jumped out of your picture, it spurred a thought in my pea brain. Are American tourists in Japan seen as we see Japanese tourists in America? Yes, I am referring to the cameras and taking pictures of everything. When I worked at DL, a large percentage of the Japanese tourists were ALWAYS taking my picture, taking pictures of themselves in the stores (I worked mostly at the Emporium and Clothiers), and then taking pictures of each other taking pictures. I would assume that the men jumping out of your picture was in respect for them to not be in them; not that they thought you were trying to take their picture.

I love your TR! I've read your last few and there so funny and insightful. I can't wait to read more, thanks for keeping us entertained!

Did I see COLLAGEN flavored chocolate???? Maybe you should have brought a few of those back to the States and tossed a few on Heidi Montag's front lawn. Spencer might as well have something collagen flavored that has some nutritional value.

^ LOL, aharbin88

Great update :thumbsup2 This ice cream store by us had lilac and lavender ice cream once and it was the greatest thing I've ever had. And then they never had it again. So I've been chasing the lavender dragon ever since! Now I know where to go get it!

Was it awkward going in Hermes? I keep telling myself that I WILL go into the original Chanel store in Paris this summer and buy lipgloss or something, but I am so afraid that I will get the "get out of here, peasant" stares :rotfl:

Was it awkward going in Hermes? I keep telling myself that I WILL go into the original Chanel store in Paris this summer and buy lipgloss or something, but I am so afraid that I will get the "get out of here, peasant" stares :rotfl:

Don't be intimidated, PrincessShea! Especially if you are walking in with the intent on buying something! Just expect them to ignore you a teensy tiny bit - don't get flustered by it. Just wander over to the lippy stuff, and start playing with it. Someone will come see what they can do for you. Just smile nicely and tell them what you're looking for. Don't say you're just looking (unless you really are) as they'll forget all about you! Walk into any store like the Princess you are, and folks'll be happy to assist you! Honest! Even fancy stores.

Go get 'em, Tiger(lily)! :cheer2:

Ok I'm here finally (stupid puter). Loving this so far & really fascinated by all the differences in things over there.
I really did LOL when you were describing you & Patrick playing with the toilet in the room.:lmao:
Loved, loved, loved the stationery haul for Jensey. How cute was that stuff!
Can't wait to read more.....it seems like it was such a cool trip.

This is an amazing Trip Report! I am going to Japan for a month in June to visit with friends and family. My friend and I are planning on going to Tokyo Disneyland and we are super pumped!

I used to live in Japan back in 2003 and I love reading about people's reactions and adventures in Japan. It's always great to see! I can related to a lot you experienced.

You've inspired me to write up a trip report for everyone when I go! I'll probably end up doing it while I'm there since I'm there for a month.

Great installment!

Sorry if you already answered this, but what guidebooks did you use? Which ones did you think were the best?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter