Top/Mediocre/Worst Dining at WDW on DDP - Long

Brygida

DIS Veteran
Top Dining at WDW on DDP - Long - Part 1 of 3

These are the places I would eat again and again!

#1. General Consensus among our 3-family party was that Akershus at Norway EPCOT is the best! It’s back! :cool1: Several years back Akershus was our favorite… to be replaced by Citricos, Boma, et al over the last several years. I am very happy to say that it is back! We ate there on August 16th for lunch. Meal for 5 adults was $155. Princesses who appeared were: Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pocahontas, Mary Poppins, and Ariel. But, Akershus is #1 for the food, not the princesses. From the cold buffet, I remember particularly liking the red-beet salad, the cucumber in vinegar salad, the eggs with shrimp mousse, the tomatoes and onions salad, and the potato salad. I like simple food where I can taste all the ingredients! For my entrée, I had the Kjottkaker (which is the Norwegian version of meatloaf) with cauliflower mashed potatoes. It was excellent. For dessert, the Rice Cream was particularly good. The only down-side was that I remember the items I used to love here :sad: (hot red cabbage, white dill fish, cold chicken, fruit sponge cake) that are no longer available.

#2. Raglan Road. The new kid on the block. :moped: This was the most expensive meal we had as a 1 TS credit. We ate there on August 14th for dinner & entertainment. Meal for 5 adults was $220. The food here is the best home-cooking meal you will find anywhere. It certainly rivaled the best pubs I’ve eaten at in England! The food is phenomenal. :love: I had the potato & leek soup, the Irish soda bread, and the beef stew. I also shared in the Crock of Pate, which was the best, and we are pate connoisseurs (pate being a staple in Polish and French cuisine). I cannot remember what my dessert was called, but it was a huge, creamy, delicious, piece of cake, that I did not have room to eat until later back in the hotel room. The only down-side here was that we had non-food issues. We did not get the table we wanted, (we got a table with NO view of the entertainment). We also got hassled about using the DDP (but no further discussion on that, since that thread has already been closed due to flaming arguments :rolleyes: ).

#3. Wolfgang Puck Express. The underdog :dog2: in the running (due to it being a CS restaurant). The food was awesome. We ate there on August 18th for dinner. Meal for 3 adults was $40. I had the chicken lasagna (and I don’t like Italian food!) and the Crème Brulee. I ate every bite! :worship: The dish was very large and served with bread (that was soft and yummy). The Crème Brulee was very creamy and excellent. Others in my party had the Thai Noodle Salad and Barbeque Chicken Sandwich. Big Thumbs Up :thumbsup2 on this one. The waiters (even though this was CS!) came often to deliver the food, clear plates and get complimentary drink refills! We were so impressed, that I left a tip! Our waiter here did more work than at most TS places we ate! If we had only found this place at the beginning of our trip, I think we would have been tempted to eat every CS there! (Which was possible because I had a rental car and we were staying at Port Orleans.) The only down side was…. There was no down side to WPE! :goodvibes

#4. Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki. This would have gotten a higher rating, but there menu has been slashed in half as to what used to be available on the DDP (the salad, shrimp, soup appetizer are no longer included with the entrée, and tempura is not an appetizer option). There is only 1 dessert on the menu (other than a scoop of ice cream), a ginger cake, which was good… but this restaurant is lacking the previous selection. We ate here on August 18th for lunch. I was on my own with my toddler, whom I brought in a CS meal for (since I didn’t think he would eat anything there). I had the chicken and shrimp combo which came with white rice, noodles, bean sprouts, and mixed veg. Mustard and Ginger sauces flow for dipping. I pour an entire mustard sauce over my white rice! YUM! The bill for 1 adult came to $34.

#5. Boma. This is an old favorite… that held my #1 spot for a few years. The downside now is that it too is lacking in selection. I remember several flan options the first time I went there. Now there are none. My DH’s favorite, the white pastry triangle with fruit was also gone. Meat carving options were limited. The huge salad selections were gone. They had maybe half of the choices I remember from my first visit. The problem then becomes that of the choices that are available, many were too spicy for me to eat. We ate here on August 15th for dinner. The bill for a party of 5 adults came to $165.

Follow-ups to be posted: Mediocre Dining at WDW on the DDP! Long – Part 2 of 3; and Worst Dining at WDW on the DDP! Long – Part 3 of 3.

Great reviews. I love reading about what other people like and dislike because it IS so objective. I know it's just an opinion and, to me, that's what makes it interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing your dislikes now. Keep 'em coming! :thumbsup2

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

hi cindy, yes it is on the marketplace side, i think it is by the christmas shop, hope that helps susie2

Restaurants I will eat at again given the right circumstances! :confused3

#1. Citricos – The last of the 2 TS credit restaurants that I liked. :sad: It is certainly not worth the 2 TS credits anymore, nor is it worth the price OOP. The food was drier and the preparation did not seem as tasty as prior visits. I remember the first 2 times I tried this restaurant and the dishes left you wanting to lick the plate (and I was going here and paying OOP for appetizers, entrées, and desserts). I did not get that response this time. Certainly for value it is not worth it. In general you will get much better food quality at Wolfgang Puck Express (which is a 1 CS restaurant) then we did here. I would try it again only if it becomes a 1 TS restaurant or I’d heard that it had returned to its previous food quality. We ate here on August 13th and 5 adult meals came to $295. I had the sautéed shrimp appetizer and the breaded chicken. On the up-side, the desserts are the best part of the meal now. They are presented like little works-of-art. My niece took pictures of all of them because they were little masterpieces. I never liked the Brown Derby at MGM Studios, the food flavorings always seemed off to me. I used to like the California Grill, the first few years it was open… then it too went dry and un-tasty and they stopped serving my favorite dessert. I am now left without a single 2 TS restaurant I would really like to eat at…. Which is disappointing.

#2. Gasparilla Grill at the GF – This is a decent, but not great CS restaurant. If I were at the MK, I would come here for a CS meal. What makes it better than the many similar food courts (like at Contemporary Resort or Wilderness Lodge) is that they have a section that makes specialty sandwiches and salads. You can alter the available ingredients of the sandwich/salad choices to create a choice you really want (for instance I added the grilled chicken a sandwich to a salad I wanted and they were fine with that, as these food items are made to order). Food quality for this area is reminiscent of Panera Bread or Au Bon Pain chains. Plus they had the standard grill where my toddler could get his chicken strips (the real chicken, not the nuggets) and fries. Plus they had a make-your-own-sundae area with very good soft serve choices. I liked the vanilla with hot caramel and nuts myself. My toddler liked just the plain vanilla. I ate here 3 times with my toddler during my stay because it was en-route to MK. (Now that Tomorrowland Noodle Station is a TS buffet, MK is left without a single decent CS that I will eat at.) :tiptoe:

I pledge never to eat at the following restaurants again! :sad2:

#1 Garden Grill at EPCOT – Hands-down the worst restaurant we ate at in WDW. Much of the food was inedible (the turkey, the beef). The mashed potatoes and pea pods were okay, but not good enough to overcome the badness of everything else. After about 10 minutes, my younger sister had to leave as the food had made her ill. :sick: Or maybe it was looking at the bad food. Or maybe the turning restaurant? :faint: Anyway, she had to leave and was really bummed that our last dining experience at WDW (on August 19th) had left her sick to her stomach. She was mad at me for ruining that day! :mad: As the Garden Grill had been my idea from the DIS. Cost for 3 adults was $78. Certainly not worth a 1 TS credit.

#2 Whispering Canyon Café – While this restaurant can be fun, the food is just not good and the food choices have been limited over the years. Now, I can finally say that I am done with WCC. I don’t like the food there anymore. I used to love there “fall off the bones ribs” till they started burning them dry and slathering them in an inedible barbeque sauce. And what happened to that delicious blueberry cobbler they used to have? The chicken was dry. The baked beans were too vinegary (or were they spoiled?). The cole slaw had no taste. There was not a single appetizer I was tempted to get (and I came there hungry!). :headache: We ate there on August 17th and the cost for 4 adults was $135.

#3. Donald’s Breakfastausaurus at AK - The breakfast food here is equivalent to a McDonald’s breakfast. The up-side is that my toddler really loved the characters, but he loved them just as much at the Toon-town meet & greet area (with less of a wait overall). I think that next time I will skip the bad breakfast food (opting for milk and cereal in my room from Goodings), and take him instead to the meet & greet areas at MK and AK for his character fix. We ate here on August 15th and the 3 adult meals came to $70. A note about seating, this restaurant had the longest wait :hourglass of any ADR we had anywhere at WDW. It took about 30-40 min to be seated after our on-time arrival. We were all very cranky :furious: by the time we were seated because, of course, we had skipped breakfast.

Ouch I have ressies for Garden Grill and Whispering Canyon Cafe for the first time :guilty: I am worried now......

We enjoyed Ohana the most (save room for dessert!), followed by Coral Reef, Boma, Capn Jacks and Spoodles. Didn't like Maya Grill at all, it was a last minute walk-up choice when we got hungry and it was a big mistake (DRAT! We had ressies for Kona Cafe later that night!)

We thought that Teppanyaki was just an ordinary Japanese steakhouse and maybe even a step-down from our local Benihana. We went to BOMA twice, and the second time they had many fewer selections and the quality wasn't as good either...things were cold and looked old or hastily prepared. Big letdown since a few days earlier it was just stupendous!

Hey Brygida! We were at Akershus for lunch the same day you were and I had the same meal! It was delicious! But I liked the cheesecake better than the rice cream, but it was all good. DH said his lamb was just ok, but DD19 and her friend both had the pasta, DD with salmon and her friend had chicken and they both liked it a lot. They said the food wasn't weird at all, which is a complaint I've read a lot on these boards. It tied with Coral Reef as my favorite meal of the week.

Lynn

magicmouse2 said:
Ouch I have ressies for Garden Grill and Whispering Canyon Cafe for the first time :guilty: I am worried now......

I have ressies for the 1st time at both of these in October :rotfl:

Hey ho, it's good to read the reviews but I still want to go to them both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter