Top of the World Lounge at Bay Lake Tower at Contemporary Resort - *2 New Parties Added! “Enchantment at the Top” & New “Bound to Be Bad” Dates Added

mrsap

DIS Veteran

Top of the World Lounge Reopening on July 11 at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort

The Walt Disney World Resort just announced that the recently-refurbished Top of the World Lounge (located atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort) will reopen to Disney Vacation Club Members as Top of the World Lounge – A Villains Lair on July 11, once again offering spectacular views for Members

As part of Membership Magic, a special hard-ticket event, the "Bound to be Bad" Fireworks Party, will be held prior to the opening on July 8-10. Members will revel in the darker side of their favorite Disney stories during a food-and-drink-filled fireworks party inside the newly refreshed lounge. Hosted by villain super-fans deviously decked out in their "Disney-bounding" best, this Membership Magic event includes a sinister spread of ominous appetizers, an open bar of cunningly crafted cocktails, and a raven's-eye view of the "Disney Enchantment" nighttime spectacular at Magic Kingdom Park.

This hard-ticket event will only be offered to eligible Members who are staying on Walt Disney World Resort property, who will receive more information about the reopening and event.

The location will operate daily from 6 p.m. to midnight; however, operating hours may be further impacted by blackout dates around major holidays and closure due to ticketed or other private events.

"Beginning July 11, the lounge will be open from 6 p.m. through midnight most nights. DVC Members will need to show their digital membership card on My Disney Experience to access the lounge."

Hmm... do we think this means it's open to all members staying on property, or is this meant to mean they are checking for direct (DVC Y/N)?

"Beginning July 11, the lounge will be open from 6 p.m. through midnight most nights. DVC Members will need to show their digital membership card on My Disney Experience to access the lounge."

Hmm... do we think this means it's open to all members staying on property, or is this meant to mean they are checking for direct (DVC Y/N)?

From the article:
Eligibility includes Members with direct purchase benefits indicated as Y on the back of the digital Membership Card as well as a resort reservation at any Disney Vacation Club resort, or Disney-owned-and-operated hotel, at Walt Disney World Resort (booked with Vacation Points or cash within their Membership).

So yes it looks like changing to a direct benefit. so much BS

I became a member in 2020, so I have never had a chance to visit TOWL before. I'm excited to see it returning!
Same here. I bought membership at the end of 2019, used it in 2020. I’d love to visit and experience it. Especially since I’m a resale owner so I couldn’t experience any other extras.

It does appear that this has now become part of membership extras and for those who are staying at WDW whether points or cash.
I think many of us thought this was coming.

I wonder if this is an indication that a tiered type of membership is coming with membership extras program remaining with limited benefits (like this) but that discounts and ticket deals will require a paid membership.

It does appear that this has now become part of membership extras and for those who are staying at WDW whether points or cash.
I think many of us thought this was coming.

I wonder if this is an indication that a tiered type of membership is coming with membership extras program remaining with limited benefits (like this) but that discounts and ticket deals will require a paid membership.

I am not so sure on that. Another site doesnt use the "Y" in the article.

https://wdwnt.com/2022/06/top-of-th...illains-themed-membership-magic-event-coming/

I am not so sure on that. Another site doesnt use the "Y" in the article.

https://wdwnt.com/2022/06/top-of-th...illains-themed-membership-magic-event-coming/

If someone listed that, I'd venture to guess it came from the official source, specifically since they actually mention the DVC Y. The article you quote does say show Digital membership card so that will be required. Maybe that just didn't include the extra features because it also doesn't say you have to be staying at WDW, which the other one does.

Once its on the official website, we will know for sure. It is not up yet. I just checked.

It seems as though it will only be available for those eligible for membership extras.
😂 of course. I didn’t realize Disney can change elegibility of perks after purchase.
Does this also mean legacy resale DVC owners may only be able to stay at the their home resort if Disney decides to change the terms in the future (like Riviera resale is currently)? Or do they only have that right pertaining to the perks? And magical express.

😂 of course. I didn’t realize Disney can change elegibility of perks after purchase.
Does this also mean legacy resale DVC owners may only be able to stay at the their home resort if Disney decides to change the terms in the future (like Riviera resale is currently)? Or do they only have that right pertaining to the perks? And magical express.

The only way for resort owners to be stuck at their home resort is to have it removed from BVTC. That would impact all owners, not just resale so that can't happen for the L14 resorts as they did not have that as part of their POS. RIV did so that is why it could be changed and why they grandfathered everyone prior to it based on the way things were.

In terms of perks, they can change and remove them at any time. None of that is guaranteed at all. They are incidental benefits which means DVD doesn't have to offer them at all if they didn't want to.

So, it seems they have decided to make TOTWL an exclusive place for those who qualify for current membership extras and can indeed change the rules for eligibility for whatever perks they want to give. There is nothing that guarantees any level of benefit to any of us....

ETA: Magical Express was not a DVC thing....it was a Disney thing. Our contracts give us the right to have access to those things that they offer a cash guest...but if Disney decides to remove them...like they did with DME...then we don't have it any longer.

DVD only controls things directed related to DVC. It is why they have had no control in forcing DPEP to offer owners the AP, even though it is part of membership extras...its an agreement with a third party and the rules state that those divisions or businesses control the offerings....

This is a concern of mine as well. We love the flexibility to experience other resorts.

If this is really open to direct members only, this strikes me as a strange decision unless the operating model is significantly different than it was in the past.

From my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong as I have never actually gone to Top of the World, was that the space was rarely filled even when all members were allowed. Therefore, it seems silly to limit the member pool even further and reduce potential income from food and beverage purchases while they continue to pay to staff the lounge. However, if they are cutting back significantly on offerings available, maybe staffing will be very limited, and there won’t be concern for overall sales numbers.

If I had to guess I think maybe the hard ticketed events like the one being offered for the grand re-opening would be available to direct members only, but any members may be able to show up on a random Wednesday at 630.

If this is really open to direct members only, this strikes me as a strange decision unless the operating model is significantly different than it was in the past.

From my understanding, and correct me if I am wrong as I have never actually gone to Top of the World, was that the space was rarely filled even when all members were allowed. Therefore, it seems silly to limit the member pool even further and reduce potential income from food and beverage purchases while they continue to pay to staff the lounge. However, if they are cutting back significantly on offerings available, maybe staffing will be very limited, and there won’t be concern for overall sales numbers.

If I had to guess I think maybe the hard ticketed events like the one being offered for the grand re-opening would be available to direct members only, but any members may be able to show up on a random Wednesday at 630.

It started with only those staying at BLT...it didn't have a good showing and then they opened to all. Prior to the pandemic it was leased to Disney to run and operate which means they took on all the profit and loss.

If it has become a membership perks place...like the Epcot lounge...it means that DVD will be paying money from their own budget...maybe marketing...to help pay for it that they would not have paid when it was open to all members.

So, that could be part of it but I have a feeling we are going to see more hard ticket events...like you mention..as well. But, DVD has obviously been moving in the direction to separate resale buyers from direct buyers, and this may be just another way to do that.

This feels like it's going with the rumor that @pkrieger2287 mentioned a few days back of a Membership Extra club. Maybe resale owners will get a chance to pay a membership to get Direct perks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter