Torn Between SSR (Resale) and VGF (Direct)

I called back and got a great guide who got me the Oct UY for VGF! I ended up buying a 150p and 50p contract which got me all the 200 point incentives. I'm so excited about the magical beginnings with the 4400 dollars back AND I will have the full 200 points on Oct 1. I will call MS tomorrow and have them book me my welcome home trip for Jan 2024. Eeekk! I'm so excited!

The only thing I thought was funny was he was very interested in why I wanted to split the contracts. He said he hadn't done that for anybody in years. It made me 2nd guess myself but I had to trust my gut. It only ended up being an extra $250 in closing costs.
That's great! Congratulations.

And I'm calling bs on his claim no one did that in years. (To clarify, I'm saying BS to the Guide's claim, not you stating that he said that.) That's exactly what we requested so we could have our blue card 150 isolated and could later peel off the extra 50.

Last edited:
That's great! Congratulations.

And I'm calling bs on his claim no one did that in years. (To clarify, I'm saying BS to the Guide's claim, not you stating that he said that.) That's exactly what we requested so we could have our blue card 150 isolated and could later peel off the extra 50.
That was exactly my reasoning. I'm glad I'm not crazy!

I called back and got a great guide who got me the Oct UY for VGF! I ended up buying a 150p and 50p contract which got me all the 200 point incentives. I'm so excited about the magical beginnings with the 4400 dollars back AND I will have the full 200 points on Oct 1. I will call MS tomorrow and have them book me my welcome home trip for Jan 2024. Eeekk! I'm so excited!

The only thing I thought was funny was he was very interested in why I wanted to split the contracts. He said he hadn't done that for anybody in years. It made me 2nd guess myself but I had to trust my gut. It only ended up being an extra $250 in closing costs.
I think this just highlights all of the great help on this forum. Most people would probably just accept what the original guide said and make a decision on that. By getting feedback here and hearing that certain things can be done (often but not always) if pushed back or changed guides, you ended up getting what you wanted vs having to settle.

What's so frustrating is that you get different answers depending on the guide you talk to. I really wonder why that's so common. Training issue? Laziness (takes more effort to get something approved)? Authority levels (maybe some guides are able to approve certain things or just know they should be able to get approval)?

I think this just highlights all of the great help on this forum. Most people would probably just accept what the original guide said and make a decision on that. By getting feedback here and hearing that certain things can be done (often but not always) if pushed back or changed guides, you ended up getting what you wanted vs having to settle.

What's so frustrating is that you get different answers depending on the guide you talk to. I really wonder why that's so common. Training issue? Laziness (takes more effort to get something approved)? Authority levels (maybe some guides are able to approve certain things or just know they should be able to get approval)?
If it weren't for these forums when I first started I wouldn't have had the UY I actually wanted and instead had the one my guide tried to put on me. And now here we are 1,000 messages later in less than a year..

Honestly, I would have never thought to get another guide. I would just have accepted it for what it was. So I really need to thank yall for the wise input.

I also should thank yall (or be mad at yall :P) for telling me about the VGF incentives right now. I would have never even thought about purchasing direct bc of the $$. I still can't believe I'm getting direct points for the same cost as resale pricing.

If poly2 ends up being as great as I hope it will be, and DVC starts shooting off some fire incentives again, I may even buy more. So..... need to start saving now!

Honestly, I would have never thought to get another guide. I would just have accepted it for what it was. So I really need to thank yall for the wise input.

I also should thank yall (or be mad at yall :P) for telling me about the VGF incentives right now. I would have never even thought about purchasing direct bc of the $$. I still can't believe I'm getting direct points for the same cost as resale pricing.

If poly2 ends up being as great as I hope it will be, and DVC starts shooting off some fire incentives again, I may even buy more. So..... need to start saving now!
Truly it could be a number of different reasons. I believe some guides are just not as savvy as others or don’t need a sale? Whatever the reason, I agree with you. Why make it hard? Just take my money already 😂😂

I booked my welcome home stay.... at BWV! I know BWV & BCV are the hardest to get 7 months out, so that's what I requested for my welcome home. I have my fingers crossed that the Skyliner isn't down during that time. (For the last 2 years in a row it has been down during the days we are visiting) Even if it is though, we can still walk to both epcot & HS. And that point chart at BWV 😍

I booked my welcome home stay.... at BWV! I know BWV & BCV are the hardest to get 7 months out, so that's what I requested for my welcome home. I have my fingers crossed that the Skyliner isn't down during that time. (For the last 2 years in a row it has been down during the days we are visiting) Even if it is though, we can still walk to both epcot & HS. And that point chart at BWV 😍
BWV is so convenient that you won't even want to consider the Skyliner as transportation (unless you want to visit Riviera). You have the boat and walking paths.

If you walk from BWV to the Skyliner you are basically in Epcot already.

If you walk from BWV to the Skyliner you need to transfer at CBR to get to DHS. Not worth it! BWV is the closest Epcot resort on the DHS walking path.

Welcome Home!

As others mentioned, you don’t really need the skyliner when at BWV. Congratulations 🎈🍾🎊🎉
Aren’t you so excited you bought direct??? I know I am! ❤️

You should see my spreadsheet lol

Cost per year pp with dues (which of course will change) is $11.03 (SSR) vs. $11.93 (VGF). I get that I am to the point of trying to put value on the emotion part of this, which is why I came to the boards.
To me that is a no-brainer for VGF.

Those points are and will be more valuable if you ever decide to rent them to off-set some of your cost.

We also have no desire to stay at SSR and love VGF so YMMV.

This is assuming you’re not financing the purchase.

Hello all!

My wife and I are confident that we want to purchase DVC, as we travel to WDW at least once per year. We are in our 30s with a 6-month old. I have an opportunity to buy 200 points to SSR resale for $95/pp, pending it passes ROFR. This is obviously much cheaper than 200 direct at VGF, which comes in around 34K with MB. We have also looked at purchasing 150 points at VGF which is closer to the 25K mark. Typically, we travel to WDW for 7-8 nights once per year, however we may increase that down the road. I am aware of the non-guaranteed perks, resort restrictions, and 30 vs. 41 years left on the contracts. I am SO torn on what the better option is. Throw some wisdom this way!

Thanks all!
SSR will always be there and will never get too pricey. A perfect addition down the road which will likely be sooner than you imagine (trust). You won’t find a better deal on VGF direct and prob not much by resale in future. Grab the flagship property. You won’t regret it but you may very well regret not!

Posted this in a different thread:

We also jumped on the VGF incentives. We have 2 contacts already - a 210 point SSR resale that is grandfathered in to be able to use with any resort and an 85 direct SSR direct to get the blue card. We needed more points as our adult kids are now married and we need more space. I was going to buy more SSR resale points but then saw the VGF deal.

We love SSR and it’s our family’s favorite. But the opportunity to buy direct at VGF at $161 a point was simply too good to pass up. I’m a very analytical person and here’s why I chose VGF direct over SSR resale: (1) VGF is 10 years longer than SSR (2) we can use them at any current or future resort (3) they weren’t that much more expensive than SSR and will have greater market value if we ever need to sell (4) better home resort priority (5) buying direct is SO much easier.

We now have enough points to accommodate our growing family. Who would have thought you could buy VGF direct for SAP.

Posted this in a different thread:

We also jumped on the VGF incentives. We have 2 contacts already - a 210 point SSR resale that is grandfathered in to be able to use with any resort and an 85 direct SSR direct to get the blue card. We needed more points as our adult kids are now married and we need more space. I was going to buy more SSR resale points but then saw the VGF deal.

We love SSR and it’s our family’s favorite. But the opportunity to buy direct at VGF at $161 a point was simply too good to pass up. I’m a very analytical person and here’s why I chose VGF direct over SSR resale: (1) VGF is 10 years longer than SSR (2) we can use them at any current or future resort (3) they weren’t that much more expensive than SSR and will have greater market value if we ever need to sell (4) better home resort priority (5) buying direct is SO much easier.

We now have enough points to accommodate our growing family. Who would have thought you could buy VGF direct for SAP.
Well written and I totally agree! Apart from a few nights in a studio here or there, my VGF points will mostly be SAPs. Can’t believe it but it’s true

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter