Torn - Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel??

Mom2my2daughters

Mouseketeer
My family of 4 plus my mom are headed to Disneyland June 1-8. I booked 2 rooms at the Grand Californian but after reading several several negative reviews I'm questioning my decision now. Seriously, there were more negatives than positives. From what I gathered the only real positive was the location (which sold me at first). Remarks were about how thin the walls are, rude staff members, small rooms, how sensitive the mini bar sensors are, them late on 3 o'clock check-in, along with others. I asked for a standard bunk bed room that was in a quiet area of the hotel along with a fridge. $300 a night.

We've stayed at the Disney Hotel and loved it, except for the long walk to the parks. I'm almost wondering if I should save the money and stay there again??

Any thoughts, suggestions, experiences - whatever, I'm just looking for help and wanting to be the most comfortable as possible :)

Thank you!

I've only stated at the Grand Californian, but we loved it! We asked they "unload" the fridge (after the boys seriously moved and looked at EVERYTHING in it...before I read the sign...ooopsss), and yes, the rooms are not very large. But...we had no problem with noise and service was great. We loved the close entrance to DCA, and room service was elegant (they brought a linen tablecloth and very large servings.)
We stayed on the 5th floor over looking Grizzly River Run, and the view was just wonderful! The bunk beds were the highlight of the trip.
That said, if money is an issue, you'd probably be just as happy at the Disney Hotel. However, our choice for our next trip would be the Grand Californian or the Sheraton. Check out their reviews.
Have fun!

I agree, we stayed there and it was great! I have stayed at PP, DL hotel and GC each for three night in the last three months! It is definitely the best!People must have really sensitive hearing because we heard nothing between the walls!! And we had a DTD view and ONLY heard the music if the door was open. We also checked in before three. The rooms are a bit smaller than the DL hotel, but I'll tell you, everytime we walked back to our room last week at the DL hotel, I kicked myself for not staying at the GC. It is so convenient with little kids!

We eat at WWS all the time so it is nice to go straight down to breakfast! Also you cannot beat the private entrance. In Feb, we also stayed at the Hojo, and after breakfast at Storyteller's we had to walk all the way out and around and get in line. Yes I am spoiled now, but how I wished I could have just used the entrance that was right there! The lobby in was more impressive than the DL hotel, and if our kids got up early, we sat by the fire for a while. It was so nice. I know anyone can do that not just guests, but it was nice to just already be there.

I guess the charms of the DL hotel were lost on us because I stayed with a friend and her DS and he was always asleep by the time we got back to the room. So we never even got to experience the pixie dust on the border because we never turned the lights on when we got back, just watched TV and hopped into bed with the hall light on since some kids were already asleep.

Good luck with your decision. I am also one of those that is on vacation and tends not to notice every little thing that could spoil it, I am too focused on having fun. It's funny the things that people complain about! I hope you have a great time wherever you stay, but if you stay here, I don't think you will be dissapointed!

Andrea

We've stayed at both, and really liked both for different reasons. A few comments...

If you're worried about the fridge, don't be. You can get an empty and not ever bother with the mini bar - we don't even open the mini bar fridge.

Room size - DLH rooms are huge for a hotel vs. GC being small. GC is more normal, DLH is the oddity with as large as they are. We didn't find the GC rooms to feel too small.

Comfort - well, GC is going to be the closest to everything. DLH isn't going to be that much further. But maximum comfort would be GC. I will admit we found ourselves commenting on how much closer GC was vs DLH when we went to DLH from DLP.

Thanks so much for your replies, they are much appreciated :) I look forward to hearing more!!

I'm still not sure what we're going to do. I do like the fact that DLH has bigger rooms. We have a 6 and 3 year old so we'll take all the room we can get ::yes::

HI,

I have been researching this same issue for some time and after many months of scouring this forum and tripadvisor.com I came to the conclusion that the GC wins out for location, convenience and amenities. We have two kids that will be 7 and 5 come october when we travel and I think the closer the hotel the better, and am willing to sacrifice a bit of room space. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

I've stayed at the GC and loved every minute of it. I was amazed at how I felt transported out of the urban jungle and how quiet everything seemed to me. And we had a view that overlooked Grizzly Peak during Memorial Day Weekend.
As for noise, sometimes, sound just travels weird. Many years ago, it was about 3 am and I was ready to kill one of my room mates. he had some people over and they were talking WAY too loud and had the music on WAY too loud. I start to march downstairs to rip him a new one for being so loud and inconsiderate. guess what? The music was just barely on and they were actually talking quietly. For whatever reason, the sound just carried right that evening and amplified as it went upstairs.

I decided yesterday to change our reservations to the DLH. I'm afraid that at this time I have a soured feel about the GC (just from reading at tripadvisor - you've all been great) and would be super-sensitive to everything. It's just best that we stay where we know this trip and while we are there I will tour the GC. I'm hoping they'll let me see a room?

I'm looking for the 'kid' feel and know we'll get it at the DLH ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Thanks again everyone, you've been very helpful!

Meagan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter