Tortola: The Baths or Snorkeling?

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
Family of four with two older teens. We’ve never been to Tortola and are debating whether we go to The Baths (the half-day trip without lunch), or whether we do one of the snorkeling excursions (Norman Island or Treasure Island).

Any thoughts or opinions on these choices? Thanks!

We did a private snorkeling excursion to Norman Island and it was spectacular. I will say based on what I have heard about they baths there will be many less people there than the baths so there’s that to consider. I don’t think you can go wrong with either excursion.

It took us 3 trips to Tortola to finally get to the Baths. It was 100% worth it. All our stuff didn't get as wet as people said (our stuff didn't get at all as we were climbing through) and it wasn't as difficult as people said.

It took us 3 trips to Tortola to finally get to the Baths. It was 100% worth it. All our stuff didn't get as wet as people said (our stuff didn't get at all as we were climbing through) and it wasn't as difficult as people said.
Have you been snorkeling on Tortola?

What was so special about it? We're considering going, and want to understand the appeal.

Have you been snorkeling on Tortola?

No, unfortunately not - and we love snorkeling. It was actually 4 times before we got to the Baths. We did an island tour on our own, a beach day (forget which beach but it wasn't good - very rough), and another time it was SO hot all we could manage was a tram tour before heading back to the ship.

Baths is unique to Tortola, its such a fun adventure getting to them, your girls will like it.
Snorkel at another stop.

What was so special about it? We're considering going, and want to understand the appeal.

The first spot you hit is so pretty (think it's Devils Bay). The climb to the Baths itself is just fun. We enjoyed hanging out on the beach - it wasn't crowded when we were there. It's unique. We always like to find what's unique to a place and visit. Take a look at some photos - it may or may not be for you.

The Baths are cool but when we went our boat got held up at customs because it was coming from a different island and ended up being an hour late. This was supposed to be a private charter that turned into a much larger group because another boat couldn't make it through customs at all. In any case, we ended up getting to the Baths so late that it was completed packed and we couldn't even make it through. So, I would consider checking the port load for the day you are looking at and see what it looks like. If you do decide to go, make sure you go as early as possible to hopefully avoid the crowds. And if you can, make sure the boat taking you doesn't have to go through customs.

Have you done any snorkeling on Tortolla? How much time did you get at the beach itself?
We did not do any snorkeling, but you could easily bring one along. I believe we had around 3 hours or so, including lunch? Our tour guided us to Devils Bay first and then we did the Baths with the group and were on our own until it was time for the shuttles to leave. We opted to hang out at the Baths for a bit and then had lunch at the included restaurant (The Top of the Baths) and walked back down to Devils Bay on our own.

We are looking at the half day TT23 for $80 per adult versus the full day TT04 for $136 per adult. It appears the big difference between the two trips from the port adventures descriptions is that the full day trip is about 1 1/2 hours longer and includes lunch. I would appreciate knowing your opinion of the lunch that was provided as part of your excursion.

We are looking at the half day TT23 for $80 per adult versus the full day TT04 for $136 per adult. It appears the big difference between the two trips from the port adventures descriptions is that the full day trip is about 1 1/2 hours longer and includes lunch. I would appreciate knowing your opinion of the lunch that was provided as part of your excursion.
The lunch was buffet style. I believe it was chicken, fish, rice, fruit and a few different salads? You also got a beverage - a can of soda or a bottle of water. You could go at your leisure anytime during the lunch period. They had reserved tables just for the Disney excursion people. The restaurant has a pool in the center of it and an incredible view!

We just went to The Baths this past April and I would definitely do it again. I went with my two teens (17 and 15), and my mom who ended up sitting up at The Top of the Baths and relaxed.

We did the half-day without lunch but we brought some of the Uncrustables from the ship that we ordered the night before. The beaches at The Baths were gorgeous…that water!... and the "hike" was not nearly as strenuous as I thought it might be.

I think your teens would like it.

A few picture to give you an idea...

Attachments

• 2E562189-BE29-435D-A883-38CE3C60454E.jpeg
    2E562189-BE29-435D-A883-38CE3C60454E.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DAACEF42-A2C5-4993-BCB0-2F0F3539FE2F.jpeg
    DAACEF42-A2C5-4993-BCB0-2F0F3539FE2F.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 32
  • EE22D8AD-D697-4BE5-A89B-1F20F4E938C7.jpeg
    EE22D8AD-D697-4BE5-A89B-1F20F4E938C7.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 3B7D9D93-0F37-46B0-8A71-5359CF1D71B2.jpeg
    3B7D9D93-0F37-46B0-8A71-5359CF1D71B2.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 32

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter