Touring Plans Room Request

friendoffigment

DIS Veteran
For those with a TP subscriptrion have you utilized their room request service. has it worked. i'm wondering if those request go way of the garbage bin or if disney seriously looks at them

As I understand it, you should not fill out the request section in online check-in AND do the TP email service because the online check-in requests will override anything.

I have gotten very close to what I requested and I've gotten nothing like what I requested.

A few tips...
First - When you select a room, the first line of the email will pre-populate with coding that the assigner understands and room numbers along a line. It's best to leave that as-is.

Second - In the section to customize your request, list NO MORE THAN 3 preferences that help explain why you're requesting that.
For example, when I was staying at Sports, I selected a room and left the pre-populated field as-was. I then said "I would like to request: 1st priority - Surfs Up section; 2nd priority - 3rd floor; 3rd priority - corner room". That way the assigner understood what I was looking for and could first look at Surfs Up, then see if any of those available rooms were on the 3rd floor, and then if any of THOSE were corner rooms. I was next to a corner.
If you just request a room, or even just leave the pre-populated field as it is without adding comment, the assigner doesn't know WHY you're requesting that.

Third - It's still only a request no matter how you make it. I had one stay at POFQ where I specifically requested one of the close to the main building buildings and stated that I was arriving late and being solo would prefer not to walk all the way across the resort in the wee hours of the morning. I have no way of knowing if I was never assigned a room meeting that because they typically don't send the numbers until you are checked into DME if you're getting there that way (or didn't at the time), but the desk CM has no way to see the specific requests or why a room has been blocked for someone else, so my strong suspicion is that I was moved because someone else complained about being as far as possible (the room I ended up with).

Last edited:
Yes most of the time we have gotten close to our requests. Not specific room but that doesn’t matter. We put in something like: most important: lake view 50’s or 60’s. Second in importance room with a tub. 3rd importance - 1st floor. Last trip -Sept 2020 we got the complete opposite of our requests. We didn’t care. We got a shower and not a tub. We didn’t get lake view. We were 3rd floor. etc. We found it hilarious. Most of the time we get our top request or 2 met though. I usually leave the room request section blank on the online checkin. This upcoming trip I called Disney and told them the exact same thing we put in touring plans just to see what happens. It is kind of fun to see what we get.

Mine worked at Wilderness Lodge last year. Not the exact room, but a floor below. Made three more this year. Fingers crossed.

For those with a TP subscriptrion have you utilized their room request service. has it worked. i'm wondering if those request go way of the garbage bin or if disney seriously looks at them
It can work, but it’s all dependent on occupancy, length of stay, and other’s requests. It’s like a puzzle that the room assigners have to put together. Sometimes you get the perfect room, and sometimes you don’t.

It can work, but it’s all dependent on occupancy, length of stay, and other’s requests. It’s like a puzzle that the room assigners have to put together. Sometimes you get the perfect room, and sometimes you don’t.

This. Basically the room assigners are playing Tetris with rooms to minimize "orphan" rooms (rooms that sit for one random night).

During on prior Disney trip, we submitted our room request using the Disney online website and got what we requested. As with any request, you are simply stating a 'preference' and there are no guarantees. I doubt that paying a 3rd party for a subscription has any impact on improving your chance of getting what you requested. No matter how you submit your request, you may/may not get it.

When I stayed at AKL four years ago, got exact room i requested. Worked perfectly. Going down in a week. We'll see if it works again.

It’s been hit or miss for us. Once we got the exact room we requested which was awesome but that was the only time we got exactly what we asked for. Today I called the resort directly to see if my room requests were noted for my check in on Monday and they were not so I’m thinking they never got my TP request or ignored it.

I imagine room requests of any kind might be harder for Disney to work with right now because of Covid. That might seem counter-intuitive because of the reduced capacity, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney tries to take previously occupied guest rooms offline for a couple days to make it easier for them to do the deep clean on their own schedule. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they also had some sort of cycling system to make sure every room is getting used on a somewhat regular basis at open hotels. There are issues that could arise with things like plumbing if hotel rooms aren’t used at least somewhat regularly that they probably want to avoid. If that’s the case, even with the reduced capacity, any given resort might only have a limited number of rooms available for check-in and there could be reduced flexibility.

We’ve used Touring Plans room requests for years. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn’t. We usually get something in line with what we were hoping for.

For our last trip (Sept 2020), I was happily surprised when we received the exact room we requested at both OKW and BCVs. That was awesome!

Yes most of the time we have gotten close to our requests. Not specific room but that doesn’t matter. We put in something like: most important: lake view 50’s or 60’s. Second in importance room with a tub. 3rd importance - 1st floor. Last trip -Sept 2020 we got the complete opposite of our requests. We didn’t care. We got a shower and not a tub. We didn’t get lake view. We were 3rd floor. etc. We found it hilarious. Most of the time we get our top request or 2 met though. I usually leave the room request section blank on the online checkin. This upcoming trip I called Disney and told them the exact same thing we put in touring plans just to see what happens. It is kind of fun to see what we get.
The room assigner must of been mad to give you the complete opposite 😂😂. Just kidding

I have used them a couple times. Once I got almost exactly what I requested. Two other times I did not get my requests. Grand Floridian was the one I got my request. The other 2 were Beach Club and Animal Kingdom. After those 2 I lost my faith in Touring Plans. I will try again this trip though.

What about if you are renting DVC points? Should you let the DVC member from whom you are renting submit your requests, do a TP room request, or both?

What about if you are renting DVC points? Should you let the DVC member from whom you are renting submit your requests, do a TP room request, or both?

I don't do points, but as I understand it, any stays on points must have requests through Member Services, so yes, you'd need to go through the member you're renting from only. Also remember to only make a request for something in the category you booked because if you ask for an upgrade, the member will be charged the additional points.

I have never used Touring Plans to request a room, but am thinking of trying it for our stay this summer. If I go this route, do I or don’t I want my TA to note room requests?

I would say 50/50 over about 6 requests.... the half I didn't get on check in I would say 2 of the 3 other times I was able to get close to what I wanted by approaching the check desk but 1 time there was just nothing else available at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter