Tower of Terror - ok for a skittish 10 year old?

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Just wanted to check in regarding the scare factor of Tower of Terror.

I have a 10 year old that might want to ride but she can scare easily - she's ok with the haunted mansion, she likes that ride.

Is there a creepy doll in Tower of Terror? (she would not like that) I youtubed it a while ago and thought I saw a doll at some point.

Thanks so much for any feedback, Marina

Scared my 7 yr old so bad he refused to ride for 10 years. He just did it in July and says it will be 10/more years before he goes again.

There is a ventriloquist dummy at the very end, but it is difficult to spot if you aren't looking for it.

I tricked my then 5 or 6 year old DS into going on it once (no prep about the ride, may have fibbed a bit that it would be 'easy,' told him those screams he was hearing were from RNR). :rolleyes1

He's 8 now and still hasn't forgiven me for it. Won't go near that ride. :-)

I think haunted mansion is scarier and think of Tot as a big frog hopper.. it’s the motion stuff that can be awful for some ( but loved by others)
Grab another YouTube look.

Tot, to me, if more mentally scary. It's dark and cobwebbed throughout. Then after the pre-show you stand in line in the boiler room that is also on the dark side and creepy cast members. Then once on the ride, the car moves and tells the story. The little girl ghost holds a doll if I remember correctly, but it's from a distance and she doesn't do anything creepy with it.

It's awesome if you're into that but if she freaks out easily - it could be too intense.

Scared my 7 yr old so bad he refused to ride for 10 years. He just did it in July and says it will be 10/more years before he goes again.

There is a ventriloquist dummy at the very end, but it is difficult to spot if you aren't looking for it.

My 25-year old daughter, who has loved the ride since she was 4, is still disturbed by that ventriloquist dummy and doesn’t like to sit against an edge in case it’s on that side.

She’s always loved ToT even when she was afraid of Haunted Mansion. But I don’t know if that would necessarily translate to another person.

Tot, to me, if more mentally scary. It's dark and cobwebbed throughout. Then after the pre-show you stand in line in the boiler room that is also on the dark side and creepy cast members. Then once on the ride, the car moves and tells the story. The little girl ghost holds a doll if I remember correctly, but it's from a distance and she doesn't do anything creepy with it.

It's awesome if you're into that but if she freaks out easily - it could be too intense.
For the win!
That's the case with most things scary actually.
I found my kids were more freaked by the video at the beginning then the ride but if you prep them as how awesome this is going to be and fun, you would be amazed at how you can reverse the fear to excitement

Think about it as when a little kid falls down, if you react as oh no are you ok they tend to get scared and cry but if you play it off as no big deal, they usually shack it off too

If your 10 year old is skittish about this ride, I wouldn't push him. You could seriously traumatize him. Instead consider just taking him thru the queue, then exit thru the chicken door before you go up in the elevator. Let him know he doesn't have to go into the elevator, that he can exit before then. He'll come away feeling good about himself that he braved the queue. Then when he's older and braver you can do the elevator drop. Later he'll know better what to expect. Having fun is what Disney is all about, not creating nightmares. You've got lots of years to talk him into actually doing the ride. That is how I finally got the courage to do this ride last year.

I think if you describe them as skittish, it's probably not the ride for her.

I would ask her if she wants to try. If he says no, leave it at that. If she seems open to the idea, watch a video and explain that even if she gets scared, it'll be over in a minute, it's all fake, safe, and nothing bad will happen. Then let her decide.

I remember being VERY scared as a child, but it was up to me. I think it helps when the child doesn't feel like they are being pressured (not that you are). I ended up riding and loving it.

My son screaming “Daddy, make it stop!” is my most unpleasant Disney memory. I think I am still not fully forgiven... In my opinion this is the only really scary ride at DW. I enjoy it myself but if your kid is scared easily I would stay away.

Twice I have (gently) pushed my daughter to ride a ride that she was nervous about (first time a wooden rollercoaster, second time, RNR), and twice I had to apologize and make it up to her after she was very upset following the conclusion of the ride. I knew it was a stretch but as she had never done a ride like it before, I wanted her to experience it for herself. The second time I should have known better, she didn't like the first rollercoaster, but I thought it might be because of how loud and rough the wooden coaster was. I say let your daughter decide. Be open about what the ride is, and flexible if she changes her mind at some point in the queue. If I had followed those two points, I wouldn't have regretted upsetting my daughter, even if I had to waste a few minutes in line only to leave.

I tricked my then 5 or 6 year old DS into going on it once (no prep about the ride, may have fibbed a bit that it would be 'easy,' told him those screams he was hearing were from RNR). :rolleyes1

LOL. I'm more along this mindset myself. Although instead of tricking them, I just make them try a ride. I've told this story before, it's how I've gotten DD11 to be the thrill ride junkie of our family, along with her twin brother. She was "scared" of Barnstormer when she was much younger...as in being in tears and clutching my arm for all she could, but I told her she had to try it. By the end of the ride, the tears had turned to laughter. Then the same scenario with BTMRR, SM, etc... At any point, had she said "I didn't like that", then no problem, we would have been done.

IMO, if the child is just a bit nervous, yes bring them on the ride. If they don't like it, fine, at least they tried.

Last edited:
I guess you know your child better than anyone, if she doesn't shake off things quickly then you probably wouldn't want to scare her.
Would showing her the YouTube video be helpful to her?

I don’t know if I would. Three of the five in my family love this ride. I have twins. One loves it and one hates it. My daughter is the oldest of my three, and she hates it. She finds all of it super creepy and hates that side of it. She got herself freaked out in the que (she was 12 the last time we went). The twin that hates it (they were 11 the last time we went), hates the repeated drops. We talked the two kids into trying it, and it was awful for them. Looking back, I realize it just wasn’t worth it. My daughter will not even consider trying it when we go back next Feb (she’ll be 14). The one twin, who will be 13, may try it, but is real hesitant. I don’t think I’d take a skittish kid, but you know her best. Would it help to watch the YouTube videos with her?

One of my most vivid memories of my trip when I was 10 was being utterly terrified of ToT. Not any of the creepy factor, but the drops themselves. To hear my mom tell it, I didn't make a peep the whole ride, got off looking white as a ghost, walked into the gift shop, and burst into tears. It took the whole time my dad and little brother waited to reride for me to compose myself.

So, my vote is to be very clear about the ride (it may have multiple drops, etc) and give her the choice.

I took my son on it when he was 2 (he’s really tall). He’s 3 now and loves it. My 8 year old nephew however has gotten in line at least 4 times and never makes it past the pre show. He’s not “skiddish” he just thinks he’s going to get struck by lightning. It really does just vary kid to kid.

ToT in my mind is more intimidating before you first ride it. The walk up sunset boulevard with it towering in the distance, listening To the screams when the doors open, the general sense of foreboding when your in line, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter