• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toys for the plane ride/trip for 1 yo DD?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
Trying to plan ahead, and little by little, purchase stuff for our trip. DD is 7 months now, so she'll probably need new toys for her trip when she is 1 yo. What would you suggest to keep her busy on the plane, and in the room after the parks, and at meals, etc?Thanks!

For the plane, window clings have been a big favorite for my DDs. They will spend a bunch of time moving them around on the window. Unfortunately, two DDs and only 1 window seat, so peacemaking required periodically!

Also, take plenty of snacks, bottles/cups, diapers and a blanket. Other toys, hmmmm. That will really depend on what your DD is into then. Probably teething toys would be good, cardboard books, musical toys, stuffed animals, etc.

Finger foods and mommy will be the favorite activities on the plane trip. By a year she will be able to handel lots of the tiny fun shaped cookies and crackers as well as the gerber finger foods and that will keep her busy for a long time. Also just sitting and "chatting "with mom or dad about what's going on around her and readinig a few of her books will take up a great deal of time. Not too loud electronic books and toys are also good. The same type things will keep her happy at meal time too. Try to pick resturants with lots of interesting things to look at. A character meal is a toss up as to wheter she will love it or hate it. I would book one for later in the week and see how she does with the characters effect her before you keep the PS. She will be a joy to share the park with.ENJOY her.

jordan's mom

Magnadoodle with the stylus attached with a string! DD's fave plane/restaurant toy until she was about 4. We had a beanie baby collection that was for traveling only, so they were special.

For the plane and restaurants, make sure whatever you bring cannot be turned into a projectile!

CHEERIOS!!!!!
A baby aged book (cardboard)
Stacking cups
A favorite toy

mcnuss, now what wouldn't be a projectile? You tell me that and I'm going to go right out and buy it for my son!!

LOL at mkutch! I am right there with you. Youngest DD (18 mo) has an awesome pitching arm! I am afraid she will break something when she puts her cup/bottle in sink (yes, she does that on command)!

One thing we started, is saving the toys from fast food kids' meals. We even got friends & family eating kid's meals for us, and giving us the toys. When we go somewhere, we throw several in a grocery bag, and every 100 miles or so, we pick out a new one for DD. You can request toddler toys at many restaurants for smaller kids, and those are great, too.

With the extras, we use them as embellishments on birthday gifts and such.

Enjoy your trip!:Pinkbounc

I got a couple of decks of cheap flash cards at a dollar store, the sort with pictures of objects, with the name of the thing on the back of the card. DS used to love pointing to the pictures and having me tell him what it was a picture of. He also liked watching Dad shuffle and deal.

At that age, DS was endlessly fascinated by his little Dorling Kindersley board book called "My First Animal Board Book" -- he became so attached to it that he wore out 3 copies by the time he turned 3. It is part of a series, here is the series page at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/540/ref=pd_sr_ec_ser_b/002-3933829-7791258

These books have LOTS of photos in them, the animals book is 36 pp., with about 6 pictures to each page. They take up a nice amount of time to get through, but they are only about 5" x 6", and around 3/4 inch thick.

I also agree with the magnadoodle; get the little mini-one from RoseArt; it's small enough to fit in a little diaper bag, and doesn't have the magnet stamps (which are nice, but not very safe for toddlers.)

I bought a small plastic box that was divided in 9 squares...i then put different finger foods in each..goldfish, different cereals....it definitely made time in the car seat easier on the plane...and it was one less battle..he picked and choosed what he wanted..have a great time..cruzmouse:bounce:

when we brought our 15 month old, he loved to draw. We bought the crayola markers that only work on certain paper (can't draw onclothes, plane seat. etc.) and he loved that. It's not cheap, though!

also, he LOVED Disney. every single minute of it, he enjoyed. Have fun!

--Mainebound

I have been traveling on planes frequently since my son (overly active non sleeper) was 6 months. He is now three years, anyway, the best website I ever, ever found for these trips was www.babycenter.com it gave me more age appropriate toys, games, ideas, etc. It has a seperate shopping section for the unusual, helpful travel products. I love it!!!
Go into the travel section and you will be very happy!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter