TR: Cup Weekend in Singapore

What a great long weekend trip.

Sorry you were a little sick on the way home; but it looks like you had a great day without the bags. I think that's a great idea....did you think it was after the fact?

What a great long weekend trip.

Sorry you were a little sick on the way home; but it looks like you had a great day without the bags. I think that's a great idea....did you think it was after the fact?

It seemed like a lot of running around at the time, because it was at least half an hour each time we went between the airport and the city. But as DH said, it would have been extra running around to pick our bags up from the hotel as well, and because we'd already check in, we had extra time. So I guess looking back it was probably the best way to do it :thumbsup2

Every airport should have some form of bag drop or luggage storage. It would make stop overs way more enjoyable.

Thanks - I got to see what we didn't have time for and missed! I can't believe we missed Simba!!! My DD would have liked a pic of that one. I also regret we missed the Indian themed garden - that looked interesting to me.

I can use your notes on the Cloud Dome when I write up a photobook - thanks again! It was much more mistier for you than when we visited - and a lot quieter. The crowds spoilt it a bit for us. Seeing it with the lights coming on would have been cool. And now we know what they use that football pitch space for - it was just a concrete space when we were there and we wondered. Yes we struggled to find something decent and casual to eat at Marina Bay as well compared to elsewhere in Singapore.

Sorry you felt ick on the way back - one of my concerns IF I ever flew Business or First - I suspect lying down I'd feel ick anyway. Thanks very much for sharing-I enjoyed revisiting Singapore. Now what are you planning for SE Asia that I can look forward to??

Thanks - I got to see what we didn't have time for and missed! I can't believe we missed Simba!!! My DD would have liked a pic of that one. I also regret we missed the Indian themed garden - that looked interesting to me.

What was on instead of the Indian themed garden when you were there? It was quite pretty.

I can use your notes on the Cloud Dome when I write up a photobook - thanks again! It was much more mistier for you than when we visited - and a lot quieter. The crowds spoilt it a bit for us. Seeing it with the lights coming on would have been cool. And now we know what they use that football pitch space for - it was just a concrete space when we were there and we wondered. Yes we struggled to find something decent and casual to eat at Marina Bay as well compared to elsewhere in Singapore.

We were very surprised at how misty it was! I'm glad it was quiet for us - would be annoying trying to explore with crowds. Where did you end up eating at MBS?

Sorry you felt ick on the way back - one of my concerns IF I ever flew Business or First - I suspect lying down I'd feel ick anyway. Thanks very much for sharing-I enjoyed revisiting Singapore. Now what are you planning for SE Asia that I can look forward to??

I actually think I would have felt a lot better laying down - I couldn't get comfortable and just wanted to put my feet up! But I probably still wouldn't have gotten any sleep.

The next trip is more Singapore (and we've convinced both sets of parents to join us for a few days :cool1:), then up to KL on the train, onto Siem Reap for a few days exploring temples, then about a week in Vietnam, including a trip to an off the beaten track national park and a stay in an overwater bungalow on a lagoon :goodvibes

We didn’t have much time in Sydney, just enough to get from one plane to another really. Luckily we were one of the first off the plane, being premium economy, so we could get a quick bathroom break in before the crowds hit. Then we made our way to the transfer area, and lined up for security (which was the most serious I’ve seen within Australia, almost like being in the US). Then a quick dash to the gate (we didn’t have to actually run, but walked with purpose) and onto the plane. The people who boarded directly before us were pulled aside and I suspect that they may have got a free upgrade. No such luck for us, although we did get a spare seat next to us. It wasn’t quite until then that I realised how good premium economy had actually been lol! We struggled with our headsets, which weren’t comfortable and didn’t work that well. I ended up falling asleep halfway through the second episode of ‘An Idiot Abroad’, feeling much better during this flight. The flight went very quickly, and before we knew it, we could see land, and then we were touching down in Auckland!

I was very disorganised for this part of the trip too, and hadn’t figured out the best way of getting to the city. We briefly thought about getting a taxi, until we saw a sign that said the estimated fare would be $70+. We thought about getting the bus, but not being familiar with the city, and me especially in a sleep-deprived and generally feeling pretty weary state, wouldn’t know where it went and how to get to our hotel etc. We ended up deciding on a minibus transfer, which was an in-between cost, and would eliminate the need for me to do any more thinking lol! We ended up having the bus to ourselves which was nice. The driver did seem to take the long way though!

Soon enough we were in the city and arriving at our hotel. We ended up choosing the Best Western President for our night, thinking it looked like it was in a pretty good location in the middle of the city, and close enough to the waterfront, with average looking rooms, and not too expensive. We were pretty much on the money – that’s exactly what it was like.

Once we’d checked in, DH went down to the 7-Eleven style shop at the entrance to the hotel and got a couple of snacks and some Red Bull (because I badly needed wings!). We decided that we would take a leisurely walk down to the waterfront and check it out. It was only about a 10 minute walk, if that.

We didn’t really ‘get it’ at first. We arrived kind of at the ferry terminal, and there didn’t seem to be much else to it. We walked out onto a pier type thing at the back of the ferry terminal and took in the views from there.

Then walked back along the other side where there was some historical information.

It was starting to rain, and I don’t think we were really in the right frame of mind to really enjoy the evening. We kept wandering along, trying to keep undercover, and eventually found a much more lively looking area with lots of restaurants and bars. We chose one and went in for a drink, and ended up ordering some snacks for dinner as well. I wasn’t much in the mood for photo taking, and don’t even remember the name of the joint we ended up at! We had another round of drinks, and realised that neither of us were really enjoying ourselves, so thought we’d head back.

Because it was raining, we took the cheap 50c bus that basically just goes up and down Queen Street, so we made our way back to the ferry terminal area where I picked up a timetable and map.

There was a stop just across the road. DH had mentioned that it might be nice to do a loop on the bus at the top of the street, and get off on the way back down, so we did that. It wasn’t much use though in the dark and with the rain (which was just pouring down by this stage), and DH actually fell asleep!

When we got back to the hotel, DH purchased 24 hours worth of wifi, and I stopped at the little shop again for some more drinks and snacks (ended up with ice-creams of all things lol!). We spent the rest of the night relaxing in the hotel room, and actually ended up staying up quite late all things considered! I slept really well, despite the fact that the bed felt like it had broken springs and was lumpy, and there was some weird noise that could have been fireworks.

In the morning, we got up at our leisure, checked out, and found a nice little café in one of the malls close to the hotel for breakfast. After a great breakfast (I had a bagel with cream cheese, avocado and bacon – yummy!), we picked up our bags and lined up for the airport bus. We had realised that there was a stop very convenient to our hotel, and it worked out quicker and easier (not to mention cheaper) than getting a shuttle. I’m still glad that we got the shuttle from the airport though, given our cognitive states…

Soon enough we were back in the sky, me starting where I left off with ‘An Idiot Abroad’ (using my own noise cancelling headset this time!), and then coming in to land in Melbourne.

We had a great weekend, got a taste of Singapore, and a very tiny taste of Auckland, and now looking forward to the next trip!

A little stopover in Auckland. You must have been tired by this stage. I think I would have been tempted to just stay in the hotel and veg out.

A little stopover in Auckland. You must have been tired by this stage. I think I would have been tempted to just stay in the hotel and veg out.

In hindsight, that's probably what we should have done. But we really wanted to experience at least a tiny bit of Auckland while we were there.

I've been ok with little to no sleep on overnight flights before. But that was when we were heading somewhere really exciting (eg Victoria Falls, Paris, HK Disneyland...). I think it was just a combination of the lack of sleep, yucky weather, knowing that we were on our way home, and not having any real plans that made us get the grumps.

What was on instead of the Indian themed garden when you were there? It was quite pretty.

We were very surprised at how misty it was! I'm glad it was quiet for us - would be annoying trying to explore with crowds. Where did you end up eating at MBS?

I actually think I would have felt a lot better laying down - I couldn't get comfortable and just wanted to put my feet up! But I probably still wouldn't have gotten any sleep.

The next trip is more Singapore (and we've convinced both sets of parents to join us for a few days :cool1:), then up to KL on the train, onto Siem Reap for a few days exploring temples, then about a week in Vietnam, including a trip to an off the beaten track national park and a stay in an overwater bungalow on a lagoon :goodvibes

They had the tulip festival in the middle - we just didn't get time to explore the other gardens other than the cacti one we started with. We ended up skipping eating at MBS altogether - no we did get some takeaways to keep us going at the 7-11 store.

LOVE your Asian plans especially after seeing DDs pics and hearing her tales from her trip earlier this year (to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia). Siem Reap is amazing. She does have some tips to share with you if you are interested re temple visiting in Siem Reap as there are so many and lots of sunrise/sunset things. They had some amazing meals throughout their travels too so she probably has a place or two to recommend. I have always wanted to take the train from Singapore to KL so I am very interested in how that goes. Goody lots to look forward to reading about!

They had the tulip festival in the middle - we just didn't get time to explore the other gardens other than the cacti one we started with. We ended up skipping eating at MBS altogether - no we did get some takeaways to keep us going at the 7-11 store.

LOVE your Asian plans especially after seeing DDs pics and hearing her tales from her trip earlier this year (to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia). Siem Reap is amazing. She does have some tips to share with you if you are interested re temple visiting in Siem Reap as there are so many and lots of sunrise/sunset things. They had some amazing meals throughout their travels too so she probably has a place or two to recommend. I have always wanted to take the train from Singapore to KL so I am very interested in how that goes. Goody lots to look forward to reading about!

Ooh a tulip festival would have been nice! Too bad you didn't time to do much exploration of the other gardens. Next time huh? You weren't missing out on much not eating at MBS :sad2:

Sounds like a request for another TR ;) Happy to oblige! Unfortunately with only 2 weeks, we didn't have time for Laos AND Cambodia. Cambodia won out on this occasion, but we'll definitely be heading back to Laos some time, and probably to see some more of Cambodia too. I'd love to hear your DD's suggestions! We've only got 3 nights in Siem Reap, so we were just going to do the hotel's '2 day' tour. Definitely open to suggestions though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter