Trader Sam's Wait Time

Pyxie

DIS Veteran
I keep seeing people say that if you want to get into Trader Sam's that you need to get on the list when they open at 3pm (which really means lining up by 2pm). Is it still feasible to try and go even if you can't do that? I'd like to go on our upcoming trip because I've never been able to and since this is an adults only trip, I don't have to worry about the "no kids after 8pm" rule. The thing is, our plane doesn't even land until 3pm. Does anyone know what the wait tends to be if you try going around maybe 6pm?

I'm thinking we will keep that night flexible and maybe grab something to eat from Tambu Lounge.

The advantage of going around 2/2:15pm is that you will most likely get a seat when they open. They have someone there who will take your name. You just need to return before they open.

I don't know how long the wait would be around 6, but I'm sure they would take your name and you can walk around the resort/shops, etc. You do have to be present when they call you to get seated, so pay attention to the wait time they give you.

We've done both - arrive at 2:15 to put our name in and check in later in the evening. Wait time was around 2hrs later in the evening. We wound up sitting in the lobby area (just outside Tambu) with drinks from Tambu and the pork nachos from Captain Cooks. It was delicious!

My sister and I went to Trader Sam's in May and we joined the wait list around 7 pm. We waited 1 hour 10 minutes. This was during a typical "slow season" so I have no idea what the wait is like during a busier time.

My sister and I went to Trader Sam's in May and we joined the wait list around 7 pm. We waited 1 hour 10 minutes. This was during a typical "slow season" so I have no idea what the wait is like during a busier time.

Thanks. I don't really know how busy it'll be when I'm there. We're going the week before Memorial Day but leaving before actual Memorial Day.

Thanks. I don't really know how busy it'll be when I'm there. We're going the week before Memorial Day but leaving before actual Memorial Day.
That week shouldn't be too bad. I went second week of May and it was busy, but totally manageable. May before Memorial day is a pretty good time to go.

If they did, it would be nearly impossible to get them considering how tiny the place is. (To be fair, I've never been to Disneyland and I don't now how big the one is there.)
Disneyland seems bigger with a more connective patio from all the pictures ~ and they have a REAL MENU with real meal options vs the nibbles at Disney World. They might call the food appetizers but Burgers & Fries, Short Ribs with sides, Salmon ... it is more like a restaurant than a lounge. ADR makes sense there, I think the waitlist makes the most sense at Disney World, especially with logistics of location.

To OP: Getting there early is so you can get a seat quickly and with a "choice" possible. Later it gets the longer the wait could be - my guess average wait is 1 hour plus, depending on your numbers.

We went on a Friday (a popular day with locals) in September. There were two of us. We checked in at 4:11 and got a text that they were ready for us at 6:35.

I was there on a weekend, arrived right at 3, and they wouldn't even put me on the waitlist because the time was 3 hours.

It looks like I may be adding a night at the Poly at the beginning of my trip so this should make things easier. :)

I'm traveling down at the end of March, with a family member who's flying in separately. Since I arrive about 90 minutes earlier, I had the crazy idea to get us on the waitlist at TS ahead of time, so that it's only a short wait by the time she arrives. Since I won't be getting to TS until probably 4:30 on a Sunday, I expect the waitlist will be at least 90-120 minutes. Is that a fair assumption? Is there any way when you get on the waitlist to request a time frame (like "first available after 6:00")? I'm more than happy to chill at the Poly with a Dole whip, but want to avoid a situation where they suddenly have a space available before she arrives.

nope - the host might give you an estimated return time, but when you're called, you got x minutes to report back to the host stand.

if you're 2 adults and happy to be around poly anyway with no plans and no curfew, then shoot your shot and you might get lucky, especially later at night. if it doesn't work out, hang out at tambu, or take the ride to enchanted rose at GF.

It is small ... capacity is fifty. They say the average person stays 1.5 hours so turn over isn't that quick. I was number 51 and got messaged at 310. Must have been a no show. I was in line about 2:25 and I waited about 2 min for them to take my name

We are going this Wednesday... trying to get a call back 6:30 p.m. or later for 2 people (my dh has to work during the day). Not sure when I should try to get my name on list... maybe 4:30 or 5 p.m.?

We are going this Wednesday... trying to get a call back 6:30 p.m. or later for 2 people (my dh has to work during the day). Not sure when I should try to get my name on list... maybe 4:30 or 5 p.m.?

I would guess if you showed up at 4:30 to put your name on the list, they could tell you what the current estimated call back time would be. I would probably try that and go ahead and put my name down if the timing looks like it will work.

Does your entire party need to present to be seated? How much time do you have when they tell you your reservation is ready?

You have 15 minutes to return once you receive the text. It implies that you all need to be there but I don’t know what would happen in reality if, say, one person was going to be another five minutes.

I went to TS on 11/30 which was a "lull" in the holiday season and also a Tuesday, so probably a slower night than typical for TS. For a group of 5, around 7pm I was quoted a 45 minute wait, which I passed on because I was heading into a dinner reservation. After dinner (around 830-845) the wait had gone down to 30 minutes. I joined the list and that turned out to be the case. Seems like my experience may be atypical but it does happen probably on slower nights. They DID require that our entire party was present before they would seat us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter