Trading into DVC from II?

Peterd

DIS Veteran
I was reading on the rent boards recently and came across a couple of posts dealing with exchanging into DVC resorts through II, then being able to sell those resv to someone else. Is this true, Or was I mistaken? Could this be the reason you can't get a resv. on short notice anymore? Do they offer these rooms to II trade-ins within a certain amount of days of arrival? I can see DVCers selling their points, but for someone to trade into DVC from a non-DVC resort, then sell the resv. doesn't sound right. If this isn't what is really happening, in the words of Amy Latella (Gilda Radner) "Never Mind!"

This happens all the time with timeshares. For example; People that own an inexpensive South Africa timeshare a few months back traded for The Manhatten Club in NYC for the begining of next year. Many of these traded for weeks have been listed for rent on EBAY for around $800 and up. These are RCI not II resorts. I did however see an OKW 2br full week on EBay recently by someone that obviously traded one of his weeks into II to get.
Is this fair....no.....but people that are into timesharing have found many ways to stretch their traders into more dollars or vacation value then they are worth.
RCI does have a rule that a TRADED FOR WEEK CAN NOT BE RENTED. I don't know if II has a simular rule. So, it seems that those that do rent traded for weeks are breaking the rules of their timeshare trading company. Your trading company membership can be suspended if caught, but this isn't policed. All you have to do is add a persons name to your reservation, charge them, then not show up. Successfully renting your traded for week.....spruce

We recently traded two of our Aruba weeks (with RCI) for friends to use in Cancun and Sedona, but we had to pay $105 for a gift certificate with their names on it. We didn't rent it out, but they had no problems with us changing the name on the resv. with the gift certificate. I don't know how II works though.

DVC only gives units to II that are exchanged by a member and they will not give up premier weeks. They do not deposit weeks just to use them or get fresh meat for the sales presentation. Most weeks available are relatively off time like HH off season, OKW Jan, early Dec, Sept, March, April and May (excluding 2 weeks of easter). Once give to II, they are not available to CRO, DVC or members unless they are also members of II. Many times they are given to II short notice or maybe someone had to change their plans and cancelled their exchange. That is why HH and OKW are occasionally available short notice and off season. Typical prices in the past have been between $400-700 total. Generally it will take very high trade power to get into DVC and even then it's a long short. At the 60 day window, all bets are off and it's first come, first serve.

All I see listed right now are 2 studios for Sept at $799 each and a 1 BR at $899. It seems that most inventory available in this way show up around 2-3 weeks out for some reason. I hope this answers part of your question. You can rest assured that DVC is not taking rooms that would otherwise be available for direct member use and giving them to II. What they will do is rent rooms through CRO at the 60 day window.

Peterd wrote:
Could this be the reason you can't get a resv. on short notice anymore? Do they offer these rooms to II trade-ins within a certain amount of days of arrival?
The only way that Interval International (II) gets DVC weeks is when DVC members arrange exchanges through DVC Member Services.

The member gives up enough points to book a full week at a DVC resort. Member Services determines which week, at which resort, is needed for the exchange, and how many points it takes -- using the DVC location and season that provides the best point value for the member, based on availability. The week can be any time during the member's booking window: within 11 months at the member's home resort, or within 7 months at another DVC resort.

So, in a way. it's as if the DVC member had used the week -- except that the unit will be occupied by an II member who was lucky enough to land an exchange into DVC (and who then has to pay an extra $95 fee to Disney when using the exchange accomodations, in addition to the exchange fee to II).

If I use our points for an II exchange (instead of using the points for a one-week DVC stay), I am neither increasing nor decreasing the availabilty of reservations for other DVC members.

II members can use the exchange accomodations themselves, or they can purchase a Guest Certificate from II if they want to give (not rent) the exchange accomodations to someone else. I'm sure that in many such cases the II member is actually collecting money from their "guest." But it seems dumb for the II member to let everyone -- including DVC and II -- know that they're doing so by advertising on eBay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter