Trails End Buffet 08/19/06

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Not on DDP. We use DDE.

This was the first time we have eaten dinner at Trail's End. I called Friday evening and made an ADR for the following night at a reasonable time.
DH was kinda wrinkling his nose when I told him the ADR I made. I think he was wanting something different than buffet. But he walked away TOO stuffed and satisfied. :thumbsup2

We arrived almost a half hour early from our ADR time, but they seated us right away. The place was busy, but not 100% at capacity since they were seating diners in the Crockett Tavern -- which is where we were seated. This is the first time we have sat in Crockett's Tavern. And if I was seated next to the bar again I would decline that table and wait for a better seat.
The reason is the take out bar area is VERY busy. Management at this location need to have a specific take out counter, station or window. It seemed very hodge podge and inconvenient to everyone to us.
We were first seated at a table right next to the bar, in the middle of the room.
Right away we were moved to a table next to the bar and far wall. Thank goodness we were.
The bar area was SO busy with families ordering beverages. They even spilled out onto the nearby empty tables and chairs and at times blocked off the only path to and from the main front door and stairs to the buffet. It would have been VERY unnerving trying to eat with families directly behind your back in tight quarters. Where we sat was bad enough.

So the seating was subpar.
The service was midly slow at times, but pretty good overall. And the server had been there almost 12 hours already. :dance3: She was not complaining. She thought she had seen us at eat breakfast and mentioned why she was mistaken. She was a very personable server. :)
The food was decent. The chicken was better than what is served at HDDR, as it is crunchy on the buffet. The ribs were good and guests can take as much sauce as they wish.
The mashed taters and gravy were good. The potatoes were real and creamy. :cheer2:
There was peel and eat shrimp on the salad station too.
Overall a good variety, except in the dessert area. But really there is so much other food to eat, slim dessert choices is not much of an issue.
The soup was Italian Wedding. I thought I overheard someone say chili too. But we did not go to the soup station at all.

With the DDE discount I thought the meal ended up being a pretty good choice. The transportation to the restaurant and back within Ft Wilderness has always been a good experience.

Glad you like Trail's End. We go there once of twice each trip and they always have some different things on the buffet in addition to the old stand bys.

I menat to mention too that DH ate the salmon and remarked at how delicious it was. He said it was just right.
He was not expecting much when we forst arrived. But was very pleased to have good salmon, peel n eat shrimp, and real potatoes in addition to the other choices. :thumbsup2

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for such a great review. I am looking to change an ADR I have and was looking at this restaurant to change to. There seems like there is alot on the menu that I would eat.

How do you get there from either the main bus stop or the boat dock?

Thanks for the review, Trails End definitely sounds underrated! :ssst:

Terk-1 said:
Thanks for such a great review. I am looking to change an ADR I have and was looking at this restaurant to change to. There seems like there is alot on the menu that I would eat.

How do you get there from either the main bus stop or the boat dock?

From the main bus stop, hop on the next yellow, purple or orange bus. The all go to the settlement.

From the boat dock follow the crowd. The restaurant is to your right, just past the playground.

Thanks for the review. We love Trail's End, and it is definitely underrated!!! That was the first WDW restaurant where I asked for a recipe - the bread pudding made of old donuts!!!!!

Don't laugh - it was awesome! Do they still have it???

I'm not sure of the atmosphere at Trail's End because I haven't seen many photos of it. Do you think this would be a good place to go for Thanksgiving?

Fairy_Tale_Bride said:
I'm not sure of the atmosphere at Trail's End because I haven't seen many photos of it. Do you think this would be a good place to go for Thanksgiving?

The best way I can describe the place is to say it could easily be plopped in the middle of fronteir land and totally keep with the theme. The servers dress similarly to the CM's for BTMR and Splash.

You eat off of metal plates and drink out of jars.

For my family, it would be great for Thanksgiving. I do realize other families might be looking for something fancier for their Holiday meal.

Fairy_Tale_Bride said:

I think it would be a great place for Thanksgiving! At least my family would love it, but then again we enjoy a more casual, comfortable atmosphere.

mrzrich described it perfectly as fitting in with Frontierland!

Liz said:
I think it would be a great place for Thanksgiving! At least my family would love it, but then again we enjoy a more casual, comfortable atmosphere.

mrzrich described it perfectly as fitting in with Frontierland!

I just called and made ADRS for Trail's End! I'm so glad I came on here and read about it. Every other place is booked and I think I will be very pleased eating here! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter