Train from Toronto to Orlando?

disneymath

DIS Veteran
I'm going to post something on the transportation board too, but thought I would start here.

Has anyone taken the train from Toronto (or Buffalo or New York City) to Orlando? If so, how was it? Did you have kids with you?

I know there is an Amtrak train from TO to NYC and another traing from NYC to Orlando - and you can also go BUF to NYC to ORL - so in that, sense I know it is possible to take the train.

We're thinking of going back this summer and are looking for an alternative to flying - way to expensive from where we live! We could drive to TO or BUF and fly, but want to consider all of our options. We would be five adults, a 3 year old and twin one year olds. (We've driven before but aren't up for that anymore - our drivers aren't up for such a long haul behind the wheel anymore.)

Return flights to Buffalo from will be cheaper than rail.

Return flights to Buffalo from will be cheaper than rail.

You're right about that - but it would be cheaper than flying from home!

We're looking into the train because the current 2 yo loves them and we adults have always wanted to take a train trip. We also figured that it would be nice to have room to move with the babies. Sure a flight is over much quicker, but the Buffalo to Orlando route is apparenlty under 24 hours so it seems doable - almost a trip within a trip.

Wow! As a mother of 2 year old twins and a 6yr old, I couldn't even fathom spending that amount of time on a train. :scared1: I much prefer the 2.5 hr flight! I think the excitement of being on a train would wear off pretty quick for a 2/3 year old. I like to limit the mount of time my kids are contained, 2.5 hrs to Syracuse, 2.5 hour flight. Good luck with your decision!! Jen

No-I haven't but I have a friend that lives in NYC and won't fly. She loves to cruise so she Amtraks it all the time from NY to MCO/FLL etc and she says it is really LONG...she has a sleeper (?) and says that is the only way to tolerate it.:confused3

A train ride from Northern Ontario to Orlando (return) with or without very young kids seems to me like an excruciating way to torture everyone. Have you ever been on a long train ride?

What would those little ones do for that amount of time?

You say it would be a trip within a trip. All you get to do is sit there! It's not like they can run and play through the train.

Honestly, if I were you I would rethink that plan.

If you are looking to save money, why not drive. You are looking at the same amount of time, plus you can do it on your kids schedule. Stop when fresh air is needed, food. The can sleep in quiet verses a noisey strange train. Trains are neat and can be fun, but with the ages of your kids you may regreat that not long into your trip. I have 3 kids all 21 months apart in age and we have flown and driven to Florida with them. We always perferred the drive with them. It kept them on schedule and we could take what ever was needed and not have to worry about getting it all through the airport. We have done this since they were babies.
You know your family best, but i think before you undertake such a long trip on a train, maybe you should venture on one in the areafor a short trip to see how your family would fair.
Good Luck

If you want a taste of traveling by train, have you considered taking the train to Buffalo and flying to Orlando from their? Try pricing it out. Cheapest, fastest and most convienient would be to drive to Buffalo yourself and fly from there.

Wow! As a mother of 2 year old twins and a 6yr old, I couldn't even fathom spending that amount of time on a train. :scared1: I much prefer the 2.5 hr flight! I think the excitement of being on a train would wear off pretty quick for a 2/3 year old. I like to limit the mount of time my kids are contained, 2.5 hrs to Syracuse, 2.5 hour flight. Good luck with your decision!! Jen

I understand your point about the excitement wearing off ... which is why a trip that is scheduled to take less than 24 hours - with a good portion of the trip being in the evening/overnight with a morning arrival - seemed like not a bad option.

Perhaps you can look into the train to get there and then fly back?

Thanks for the suggestion ... we would have to drive to Buffalo anyway. The only potential issue is getting back to our vehicle when we return to Buffalo by a different means of mass transit.

No-I haven't but I have a friend that lives in NYC and won't fly. She loves to cruise so she Amtraks it all the time from NY to MCO/FLL etc and she says it is really LONG...she has a sleeper (?) and says that is the only way to tolerate it.:confused3

So far you are the only person (on this or the thread I started on the transportation board) that even knows of anyone who has taken the train. We had assumed that sleeper/bunks would be the way we would have to go b/c of the 3 little ones. Apparently their are "family berths" which while smaller than hotel rooms would give the kids room to move around in.

A train ride from Northern Ontario to Orlando (return) with or without very young kids seems to me like an excruciating way to torture everyone. Have you ever been on a long train ride?

What would those little ones do for that amount of time?

You say it would be a trip within a trip. All you get to do is sit there! It's not like they can run and play through the train.

Honestly, if I were you I would rethink that plan.

Oh no, we would not be taking the train from Northern Ontario. We would drive to Toronto or Buffalo and catch a train from there. (Even if we choose to fly, we would be driving to TO or BUF, so that part of the trip is equal for all options.)

Since you asked, yes I - and some of the other adults in my family - have taken train transportation ranging from 6 hours to over 12 hours - in both Ontario and Europe. As for what the little kids would do in that time, well pretty much what they would do during an 8 hour car ride or a 6 hour layover at an airport ... be entertained by us adults, eat, sleep, and watch the world go by. And while I understand that you can't "run and play" through a train, you can walk from car to car when a change of pace is needed. We would opt for a sleeper cabin (which would give us a private place for the kids to rest and play).

As for rethinking the plan, it was never set in stone. (Or even written in pencil as a rough draft.) It was just an option we threw out there and decided to explore. It seemed only natural that I would ask about people's experiences here on the DIS.

If you are looking to save money, why not drive. You are looking at the same amount of time, plus you can do it on your kids schedule. Stop when fresh air is needed, food. The can sleep in quiet verses a noisey strange train. Trains are neat and can be fun, but with the ages of your kids you may regreat that not long into your trip. I have 3 kids all 21 months apart in age and we have flown and driven to Florida with them. We always perferred the drive with them. It kept them on schedule and we could take what ever was needed and not have to worry about getting it all through the airport. We have done this since they were babies.
You know your family best, but i think before you undertake such a long trip on a train, maybe you should venture on one in the areafor a short trip to see how your family would fair.
Good Luck

As I mentioned in my original post, we've driven before and that really isn't an option for us. (We're looking at about 35-40 hours of driving each way - excluding pit stops - and the drivers in the family aren't into that kind of long haul.)

Oh well, there's still plenty of time to sort out our plans. :goodvibes

I have taken the train from Toronto to NYC ... in the winter and I would never recommend that ever. The train ride starts off pretty nice and then the stoppages start. Freight trains take priority so if you're behind a freight train prepare to be delayed. If there's a snowstorm or lots of snow from previous snowstorms, prepare to be delayed. If the crew is incompetent, prepare to be delayed. If the immigration on both sides are picky, prepare to be delayed. If all of the above happens, as it did to us...prepare to be spending an extra 6 hours on the train that you didn't plan on doing....and that's only the Toronto-NYC or NYC to Toronto leg of the trip. The train was stopped at the border for over 2 hours...why? Who knows. It looks like the train overshot the border...sat in no man's land for the longest time, then went BACK into the United States where we waited again....then US immigration came onboard to check our passports as we LEFT the US.... then we waited...and then we finally went across the border (again) and waited for Canadian immigration to check our passports....then we waited for the VIA rail personnel to take over the plane. I have to say that the VIA people were great...the AMTRACK people, not so great.

Our train ride into NYC arrived 3 hours after it was scheduled. Our train ride back to Toronto arrived 5 hours after it was scheduled. We were actually worried that we wouldn't be able to get onto the subway to get home because it was so late. We got onto the subway 1/2 hour before it shut down at night.

And the cost? It would have cost us the same as flying.... NEVER AGAIN.

What about the auto train ? It runs from Lorton , Virgina ( I think ) to Sanford, Flordia.

I have never done it but have read several threads about over on the transportation board.

I don't think cost wise it is to much cheaper though.

Nancy

I have taken the train from Toronto to NYC ... in the winter and I would never recommend that ever. The train ride starts off pretty nice and then the stoppages start. Freight trains take priority so if you're behind a freight train prepare to be delayed. If there's a snowstorm or lots of snow from previous snowstorms, prepare to be delayed. If the crew is incompetent, prepare to be delayed. If the immigration on both sides are picky, prepare to be delayed. If all of the above happens, as it did to us...prepare to be spending an extra 6 hours on the train that you didn't plan on doing....and that's only the Toronto-NYC or NYC to Toronto leg of the trip. The train was stopped at the border for over 2 hours...why? Who knows. It looks like the train overshot the border...sat in no man's land for the longest time, then went BACK into the United States where we waited again....then US immigration came onboard to check our passports as we LEFT the US.... then we waited...and then we finally went across the border (again) and waited for Canadian immigration to check our passports....then we waited for the VIA rail personnel to take over the plane. I have to say that the VIA people were great...the AMTRACK people, not so great.

Our train ride into NYC arrived 3 hours after it was scheduled. Our train ride back to Toronto arrived 5 hours after it was scheduled. We were actually worried that we wouldn't be able to get onto the subway to get home because it was so late. We got onto the subway 1/2 hour before it shut down at night.

And the cost? It would have cost us the same as flying.... NEVER AGAIN.

Pxlbarrel ... thank you for sharing your experience. We would be traveling in August so, with any luck at all, snow would not be an issue! The potential for delays (and thus missing our connection to the next train) is definitely something we had not really considered.

We talked about it again today, and the practical side of us knows that flying is probably our best option. Whether it will be from home or elsewhere remains to be seen.

What about the auto train ? It runs from Lorton , Virgina ( I think ) to Sanford, Flordia.

I have never done it but have read several threads about over on the transportation board.

I don't think cost wise it is to much cheaper though.

Nancy

We had originally got the train idea b/c of the autotrain. We didn't realize it only departed from one station in the Northeast though. From where we live, if we decided to drive the distance to Lorton, we might as well just take another route and drive all the way to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter