Transatlantic in both directions?

eeyoresbestfriend

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are planning to do a3-4 month trip over to Europe probably in 2025. We are aware of the Schengen 90 day rule, and have lived in a few different European countries over the years

For various reasons, flying isn't great for my husband, and we have been toying with the idea of taking the transatlantic cruise over to Europe, enjoying our trip, and then taking the transatlantic cruise back to the states.

Has anyone done this before? Thought about doing it? Or are we crazy to consider it? I think it's a very real possibility that we will do it this way, and if we do I'll post a report ( planning and all!)
Thanks for any thoughts!

My husband and I are planning to do a3-4 month trip over to Europe probably in 2025. We are aware of the Schengen 90 day rule, and have lived in a few different European countries over the years

For various reasons, flying isn't great for my husband, and we have been toying with the idea of taking the transatlantic cruise over to Europe, enjoying our trip, and then taking the transatlantic cruise back to the states.

Has anyone done this before? Thought about doing it? Or are we crazy to consider it? I think it's a very real possibility that we will do it this way, and if we do I'll post a report ( planning and all!)
Thanks for any thoughts!
So cool! Hope you can do it. If the DCL dates don't work there's always Cunard, which does a weekly crossing.

Sounds awesome! I have always wanted to do the same. Ends somewhere in Italy. Rent a place for a few months and take a cruise back.

Following along.

I mean that sounds amazing to me! I know that there was a couple either on these boards or on the book of faces that was planning (I believe in 2020?? again my memory is a big foggy) to take the Magic over to Europe do ALL the Europe cruises that summer and then take the TA back as well :oops: I think I like your plan better but both sound downright fabulous to me!

Sounds great! One idea to get around the Schengen limit is to head out of the region for a bit, like maybe to the UK. I don’t know how long you can stay there though. I saw a one way cruise from Iceland to NY. I thought that could be a cool way to get back to the US after doing an Iceland land trip.

The west bound goes over in may and ends up in Spain usually. snd the eastbound comes back across in sept/Oct. and typically starts in England. Timing should be perfect.

I mean that sounds amazing to me! I know that there was a couple either on these boards or on the book of faces that was planning (I believe in 2020?? again my memory is a big foggy) to take the Magic over to Europe do ALL the Europe cruises that summer and then take the TA back as well :oops: I think I like your plan better but both sound downright fabulous to me!
Yes, I heard about them! They were on an episode of the DCL Duo podcast talking about the trip, it sounded great.

Since you said flying isn’t great for your husband, I wanted to add a great resource for planing train trips through Europe as you might want to avoid flying for travels within Europe as well: https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm

With the 90 days Schengen rule it should be doable to get out of Schengen (UK, Ireland, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania for example) for enough days to ensure you never hit the 90 days between two DCL Transatlantic cruises.

Have fun with planning this epic trip!

That IS a very cool, incredibly helpful website - as is the guy who did it. The Man in Seat 61!
It’s such a cool place. I follow the Man in Seat 61 on Twitter and have become all nostalgic about wanting to go everywhere by train now! 🤣

We did train back to Germany from Barcelona after our Med cruise and the info was so helpful. Station guide for Barcelona Sants with info on left luggage was great to have.

I know of a guest that took the transatlantic over to Europe thinking it was coming right back. Was SHOCKED she had to get her own way back to NYC since ship would be in Europe for several months.
That has to be a joke, right?

Is anyone really stupid enough to book, much less board, a TA cruise without knowing/verifying when the ship is crossing back?

Sounds great! One idea to get around the Schengen limit is to head out of the region for a bit, like maybe to the UK. I don’t know how long you can stay there though. I saw a one way cruise from Iceland to NY. I thought that could be a cool way to get back to the US after doing an Iceland land trip.
Yes, the plan is to spend the time in Schengen area, and head to UK after about the 85 day mark- because the cruise on the way back also stops in Schengen countries normally. Getting more excited as I think about it!

Following…
I have a medical condition that prevents me to fly. But i need it in reverse.
Sept/oct to states but waiting for TA in spring back is too long

Omg I would love to do that but can you imagine the cost!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter