Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents. Update!

DawnCt1

<font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he
Has anyone had any luck in transferring their post 9/11 GI Bill educational benefits to their children? DH started the process last August. We have confirmation that they received it. It is taking forever. The kid will be out of college before we hear.

On Thursday DH got a letter saying that he was "denied" benefits because they were transferred to DS#4! That was a bit confusing, but yesterday the letter came. DS#4 will get 50% benefits, (half of tuition and fees) and half of a monthly stipend which we will use for room, meals and books for a total of 36 months, or 4 years. That in essence covers 3/4's of his costs. The next step was to deliver the letter to the veterans affairs office at his university, which I did yesterday with him, and he had to complete a two sided document listing his courses. Monday he will have to find an advisor to sign the form stating that his courses are towards his degree. He should be in the system by March. The university will reimburse us the amount that they receive from the VA and then the monthly stipends will arrive. This process, submitting documentation that his courses are appropriate must take place every semester. The amount that a veteran is eligible for in the Post 9/11 GI bill is based on the total length of deployment. Those vets who were deployed, 36 or 40 months, I can't remember which, will receive 100% of the benefits. My brother is thrilled. His DD will be getting 90%. Its a great help. Courses that are not completed or cannot be credited for graduation however, will have to be paid back to the VA administration.

Dawn,

Has he called? Dh started the process but then they mailed him a form to sign to Japan, he is in Iraq. When he was home on R&R he called, they said he was automatically kicked out of the system for not returning the form with in 30days, they said they would remail the form ...to Japan. He had to explain again that would not work, they guy was very nice and processed the form right then, about 10days later that his GI Bill was transferred to DD...she can use it in 5yrs.

I just tried submitting my form through Virtual MPF (online). I got a response back within 72 hours about not having the required time in service. Didn't get to the next step of the process but I thought the process online was supposed to be much quicker and easier. Don't know if you guys knew about doing it that way. Hope it helps! I too am trying to do it now even though my son is only 2!! I'd rather get it done now so I don't have to hassle it later. Good luck!!

Jen

My Dh submitted the form in the beginning of October and was approved at the end of that month. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was probably about 3 weeks.

DH was approved pretty quickly, but they didn't make it clear that DS had to apply too. He submitted that, and they said that they received it, and we would hear in 45 to 60 days. It is almost 60 days and we are still waiting. I think it is time to call and email...again.

Update first post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter