Transportation to US/IoA

Status
Not open for further replies.
macraven said:
in all the disney lobbies, there are concierge desks.
this is where you can book the mears shuttle to the darkside.

do it the day prior so you can get your seats.
it is $19 per adult for rt.

there are times this Mears shuttle will do pick ups at a few of the motherland resorts.
but, there are times that your hotel will be the only pick up.

for 3 adults the cost would be $57 round trip.
this is cheaper than car rental, private car service or taxi.

when you make your reservation for the shuttle, you pick the times/date.

Thanks

Live in the present judging no one by his or her past nor expecting less for his or her future.-alm

Ooh I didn't think we could use Disney services on resort for parks other than other Disney parks! We will only be 3 in our party so was wondering if this is true I should just utilize shuttle? ... Otherwise, thought we might need to book ahead MEARS since we arrive late around 1:30pm to resort & plan to go to UO/IoA the next morning.

Live in the present judging no one by his or her past nor expecting less for his or her future.-alm
Just to be clear...Mears shuttles to US/IoA are not a 'Disney service'. They are a Mears service.
It is always best to book ahead of time if at all possible. I would call them the day before you need them. Be aware that they take cash only if you want to pay the driver. You can pay with a cc if you call and give them the info. And exact, or close to, change is a good thing. As well as the tips.

I've been trying to read all of the information on this site for transportation to US/IoA as we are going there next week. We arrive late Thursday night, then the only thing set in stone is cheer competition Saturday and Universal Sunday and return home late Monday. There are 4 in our group, but 2 are for sure going to Universal Sunday (will be 4 if cheer squad does not advance to day 2), 2 Monday possibly (4 if there is time before our flight) as the other 2 in our group changed their flight to go home Tuesday morning to make sure they can go to Universal at least one day in case they do advance to day 2 of competition.

I looked at the threads on here, some of the recommended links (including mousesavers for codes) and tried to do the math. At $38 for us to take the shuttle on Sunday and $38 for our companions to take it Monday, we are already up to $76 plus tip.

We found a rate for Alamo on Costco travel for a rental for $76.36 tax included for 4 days. Yes, we would have to pay for parking at Universal and gas which ups the price a little bit, but it also enables us to get all 4 of us there Sunday if they don't advance, and gives me and my daughter the opportunity to spend a good chunk of Monday there with our companions. Which results in extra time there and would save us money in case Sunday doesn't happen for the team.

I know not everyone has a Costco card, and rates will vary by date. but it is worth checking into if you do before you book your next trip. I was a little hesitant to get a car at the airport as I have always done Magical Express, but my husband has done the rental car many times and says it is easy to do. And, by not taking magical express back, I can go straight from Universal to airport with luggage in my trunk and not have to worry about the time lost taking a shuttle back to our hotel to claim luggage from bell services and then take magical express to the airport which always gets us there far too early.

It also gives us a car to do what we want on Friday as the girls have to be with the team all day, so my friend and I can leave the site and go shopping or out to dinner off-site or do whatever we want.

Just thought I would pass along the info as it was cheaper than any of the links I found on this site and others for our dates.

Howdy! We spend a day at US/IOA last week. We took a cab from the BC. We left around 8/am and returned around 5pm. We took a cab. I didn't want to be "tied" to the possible 3 hour wait/notice for the Mears service. The fare was about $34 each way (plus tip). It was almost exactly the same for each trip.

It was quite easy. I went to the front of the BC and the ladies out front called a cab for me. They asked me "where to" and I was a little :rolleyes1. But they were very cool when I said IoA and even gave me some tips.

The drop off and pick up was at a cab/bus station right under the moving sidewalks over the road (don't remember it's name), just before the parking garage. Lots of cabs and a dispatcher waiting when we were ready to leave.

Our cabs were clean, well maintained, and the drivers friendly. They both took credit cards as well.

I'm very glad we went. My dd is a big HP fan and loved every minute. :thumbsup2

Just back and very excited to share this info. I posted here before we left b/c we have 9 in our family and we really wanted to do US/IOA. We had considered taking the bus, but after much research decided that was a bad idea. The day before we wanted to go to US/IOA we called the front desk and asked what the cheapest way for 9 people to go would be. We were told that we should call Mears. I called Mears who said we could do a Taxi, but it would mean 2 taxi's, since each taxi can only hold 7 people. Each taxi would cost $35 each way- for a total of about $140. I know every day we saw 10-15 passenger vans outside. I called the front desk again and they tried to refer me back to Mears. Finally I asked who else besides Mears they recomended. They gave me the number for STAR. I called STAR, and was greeted on the phone with a very pleasant woman who said she had a 10 passenger van she could send. I scheduled the van for 8am the next morning. 7:55 am the van arrived. It was clean, and even had a car seat for my daughter. The driver loaded our backpacks and my son's wheelchair. He was super nice. He asked how much we had been quoted for the ride and we told him $35. When we got to US/IOA he gave us his number and said to call about 45 minutes before we wanted to return, which we did, and again he was there waiting for us when we arrived at the taxi location. Total cost was $70 round trip for 9 of us (we tipped him well though). I have his number still in my phone if anyone is interested.

Hi! I was wondering if you could give me the number if you still have it. I notice you used STAR 2 years ago so I'm not sure if they still would have the same service but we will have 8 people in our group that needs transportation from POP to UO in December. Thanks!

Howdy!."........They asked me "where to" and I was a little :rolleyes1. But they were very cool when I said IoA and even gave me some tips.
...."...........:thumbsup2

LOVE IT!....
I always sorta get a chill down my spine when I mention "The Dark Side" to most WDW employees...(and Ditto for most US workers).

Sorry folks, we love both! :goodvibes

So I am an absolute novice at WDW planning and all of this, but I figured out a way to finagle a trip to Universal that I have dubbed genius! So my husband is all about Universal studios and we wanted to stop there on the way to staying at Disney. I love the magical express service but wasn't sure how we could go and check in AND go to universal in one day so I got on the chat on the disney website to see how long it takes to check in and all of that. I looked into renting a car, but because my husband is under 25, the insurance is a bit ridiculous. So we are going to have Disney Magical Express take our luggage to our hotel, take a cab to universal and use a locker and then take a cab to the resort in the evening. Our luggage still gets there and we aren't waiting in line for the ME! :cool1: If you can make your universal trip happen this way, I recommend it!

So I am an absolute novice at WDW planning and all of this, but I figured out a way to finagle a trip to Universal that I have dubbed genius! So my husband is all about Universal studios and we wanted to stop there on the way to staying at Disney. I love the magical express service but wasn't sure how we could go and check in AND go to universal in one day so I got on the chat on the disney website to see how long it takes to check in and all of that. I looked into renting a car, but because my husband is under 25, the insurance is a bit ridiculous. So we are going to have Disney Magical Express take our luggage to our hotel, take a cab to universal and use a locker and then take a cab to the resort in the evening. Our luggage still gets there and we aren't waiting in line for the ME! :cool1: If you can make your universal trip happen this way, I recommend it!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but ME luggage transfers are for those who ride the ME buses. It's part of their "rules". By scanning your ME vouchers, they know who actually gets on the buses.

Kimberle's right. Just take ALL your luggage with you in the cab to Universal and store it in a locker (or two), then bring it in the cab to WDW.

Hi all! Great info on this thread!

So it'll just be me and my sis going to IoA on Sunday October 20th. I've been looking at Mears. As I understand it, it would be $19 per person round trip. The only con being you may need to wait a few hours for pick up, solved by calling a few hours ahead of time. Is that correct?

Also, I tried booking online but it only gives me the option for a charter bus or limo and all we need is a car. Anyone done this lately? Am I figuring things correctly so far?

Thanks so much!

Hi all! Great info on this thread!

So it'll just be me and my sis going to IoA on Sunday October 20th. I've been looking at Mears. As I understand it, it would be $19 per person round trip. The only con being you may need to wait a few hours for pick up, solved by calling a few hours ahead of time. Is that correct?

Also, I tried booking online but it only gives me the option for a charter bus or limo and all we need is a car. Anyone done this lately? Am I figuring things correctly so far?

Thanks so much!

That $19 pp, r/t, is on a shuttle bus. You can actually call Mears directly, when you get to Florida, and make your reservations. Even the night before!! I have been able to get seats on an early bus, getting me to US/IoA prior to park opening! Then, you can either make your departure plans when you book, or you can wait until you get to the park. Then, about 2 hrs or so before you're ready to leave, call Mears and they will give you the appropriate time for your bus ride back to your resort. It's not a case of you having to wait, but rather you decide that you'll be ready to leave in a few hours!

Dreams Unlimited...board owners...also have a pkg out that pretty much gives you a free ride over to US/IoA included in park passes. If you don't have passes already, that might be a good way to go. There's a link in post #197.

Thanks so much for the answer!! One more question - I don't mind the shuttle bus, do they have a minimum number of people they ahve to have signed up? For instance, if we call on Sat the 19th for a pickup early in the AM on Sun the 20th and we're the only ones going, will that be a problem?

TIA!

Next June, we are spending 7 nights at BWV, 3 nights at Universal, and then 4 nights at AKV. We are planning on taking a cab to Universal. If I have Bell Services at BWV transfer some of our luggage to AKV when we leave, will they hold it at AKV for 3 nights until we check in? We would prefer not to take all of it with us to Universal just for 3 nights.

Thanks so much for the answer!! One more question - I don't mind the shuttle bus, do they have a minimum number of people they ahve to have signed up? For instance, if we call on Sat the 19th for a pickup early in the AM on Sun the 20th and we're the only ones going, will that be a problem?

TIA!
They may very well send a van rather than the bus. Have no fear, you will have transportation of some kind!!!

Next June, we are spending 7 nights at BWV, 3 nights at Universal, and then 4 nights at AKV. We are planning on taking a cab to Universal. If I have Bell Services at BWV transfer some of our luggage to AKV when we leave, will they hold it at AKV for 3 nights until we check in? We would prefer not to take all of it with us to Universal just for 3 nights.

Probably? When you get to BW, just ask Bell Services. They are my favorite Bell Service CMs on site!!! I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. I know that people have had luggage stored at a WDW resort while they were on a cruise.

We have a group of 15. We are thinking of going from MCO to Universal hotel, staying 2 nights, then making our way to a WDW resort for the rest of the vacation.

So what is the best way (best = balance between cost and speed) to get from airport to Universal for 15 people with luggage?

What is best way to get from a Universal hotel to WDW resort for 15 people with luggage?

Sounds like Mears shuttle is out due to us having luggage. We would rather not do the driving ourselves.

Thanks in advance

Does anyone know if Mears also offers one way trips from/to Universal? Reason is, my hotel offers a shuttle to Universal. However, their return time is timed with the closing of the park. I'd like to stay at Citywalk a while after though to have a lazy dinner and such. I checked cab fares online and I must say, $45 one way is a tad bit too much for my budget. So I was thinking that maybe Mears one way was an option, if the offered it? I can't find the info online. I can't even find the shuttle for $19 people talk about here online :confused3

From the Disney resorts, you pay for a round trip to Universal whether or not you intend to use both legs. There is no "one way" trip price. I am guessing it is the same thing if you are at another hotel.

YOu may have to call Mears to inquire about the $19 shuttle, I do not think it can be booked online.

We are staying at RP for two nights then moving to ASMU for ten nights ... We will have stacks of luggage .... Any tips for one way with luggage from RP to ASMU please ?

My daughter and I will be heading to US/IOA to do both parks in one day. Later that evening we will be going to Halloween Horror Nights, which is scheduled to conclude at 12 midnight.

Has anyone used the Mears service to do this? We will likely be looking at a 1 am pickup.

Thanks.

My daughter and I will be heading to US/IOA to do both parks in one day. Later that evening we will be going to Halloween Horror Nights, which is scheduled to conclude at 12 midnight.

Has anyone used the Mears service to do this? We will likely be looking at a 1 am pickup.

Thanks.

I haven't used them for this exactly, but I have used them. It worked very well. I've used them for round-trip on the same day, as well as round-trip on subsequent days....worked very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter