Trash Can Turkey

MerryPoppins

<font color=coral>I posted around Woo Hooty time<b
I posted this in another thread on the Community Board, but then thought I should share it with you.

We like to make "trash can turkey". Has anyone ever made one of those? You take a NEW 10 gal. metal trash can, 10 pounds of charcoal, a 10 pound turkey, a bucket of water, shovel, foil, a large dowel (the diameter of a broomstick, but I forget the correct length - if anyone is interested, I'll ask DH), and seasoned salt.

Wash the thawed turkey and "empty" out the extra stuff. Find an area free of leaves, etc. so you won't start a fire. Fill your bucket, just in case. Drive your dowel into the ground several inches and leave enough above ground that you can hang the turkey on it to cook without touching the top of the can. Put several sheets of foil on the ground around the stake. Put a large wadded ball of foil around the top of the dowel to hold the turkey in place.

Light the charcoal inside the lid of the metal trash can. You will heat these coals until they are getting white. Bring out the turkey and hang him on the dowel. Sprinkle liberally with the seasoned salt. You can also add pepper or other seasonings. Turn the trash can upside down over the turkey (but not touching it). Foil should extend outside the can by a few inches.

When coals are ready, pile coals around the base of the can and on the top of the can. Use all of them. Don't lift the can. This is a no peek recipe! After 90 minutes your turkey will be perfect! Scoop the coals off the top and away from the can. Douse them with water. Use hot pads or gloves to lift the can.

I'm not kidding. This works, but you have to babysit it so nothing catches on fire! We've done it for Thanksgiving and also for camping trips. It's pretty fun and it doesn't take up your whole oven. It's fun and a real conversation piece! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter