Travel Agent?

Thanks for everyone's advise on using a travel agent.

I wound up going with a travel agent - but doing my research as well on my own. I didn't take any kind of package though. The rates seem reasonable.

Is it proper to ask the travel agent to make your priority seating arrangements? Is there an 800 number for annual passholders that are also in the Disney club?

I am taking practically the same vacation next year as I did this year, only diference I am booking everything on my own. Last year 10 days - 6 nights Disney, Rental Car, LOS passes, airfare - for 3 - $2550. This year 11 days 6 nights at Disney AsM - $623 - USAir $648 - Car - $264, 5 day hopper passes for 3 - $615 - Total $2150. A savings of about $400, so far. Waiting to see if any more discounts come my way.

before i found these boards, my bf and i had booked a 'magic' package at the gf for 7 nights. the price you ask? now if you're squeamish, you may not want to read this.....$3900. that's right folks, that's for 2 adults and not including any meals, etc.
after finding this site, i rebooked the entire trip myself, with the same gf garden view for $2500!!! this includes room, flights, and park passes! now with the money saved we're renting a car as well (national EA of course!)....
i had never booked a vacation myself before and initially was hesitant about the codes and cro, but once i did it, i was so thrilled i started researching bargains for every aspect of our trip. we're leaving sept 8th and i cannot wait!

Travel agent no travel agent - that is the question. Well here is my answer- If you blindly book a vacation without doing any research on your own you are VERY trusting. Now I am an over-planner and VERY budget minded. I would never have considered doing a package before - because they have always been higher! This year I am doing a Resort Magic package (through Walt Disney World Travel) because it actually comes out equal or a few dollars ahead. The cost of my package is $982.62 for 5 nights/6 days at the All-Star Movies. Let's see what that includes:

hotel 5 nights (Movies)
Ultimate Hopper Passes for 2 adults
2 Flex Features (will be used for Character breakfast)
A Collectible Pin
$50 Disney Dollars

On my own it would have been:

Hotel - $330.40 (And would not have been able to get Movies)
Ultimate Hoppers - $283.05 each for a total of $566.10
2 Adult Character Breakfasts - $36 (without tax or tip or drink)
$50

Total - $982.50 (and I'm not 100% so I didn't include it - but isn't tip/tax/drink included in the flex part?)

So tell me where my package was a rip-off!?!? Yes I admit the packages CAN be a rip off. The key here is if you asked me whether or not you are willing to do the research.

My advice to anyone debating - DO THE RESEARCH! It's not hard - a little time consuming but it's all available if you look for it. We have a travel agent that I use daily (for work) that I trust completely - but she couldn't get me a better deal than I could myself for Disney. So if in doubt check it out for yourself - one thing to remember though - if you use a travel agent you have to go through them for any change you may have. All things considered you have to decide what works best for your family.

Just my $ .02 - I had to speak up though - I can't stand categorizing/stereotyping - (Travel Agents are bad - Packages are a rip-off) Especially as you can see from above it's all on a case by case basis.

My package price was actually $962.82 - Sorry - but I'm saving even more money going with the package.

When I used the character breakfast flex feature, I still had to tip. The waiters look at you like they expect it, and you feel awful rude if they do their best at being charming and you leave the table empty. Also, expect a single serving of a small glass of juice with your breakfast. It is not "all you can drink". While you can ask them to keep bringing sausage and eggs, each time the portions get smaller and smaller. They pretty much let you know when you've had enough. Don't expect a "Hometown Buffet" all you can eat, nobody is watching style!

The collectible pin is worth less than $6.00. They're everywhere, they're not even rare or special editions! You won't find anyone to trade it for a limited edition or valuable pin.

Depending on the date you chose, you'd saved a lot more than that on the hotel. Using discount codes would have reduced the price to even less than $55/night. Booking directly with Disney gives you an immediate confirmation number. Once you have that, you know your rates are guaranteed.

Some people have found deals in airline websites for a little over $100.00/ round trip!

If anyone has money to burn, hey go ahead! It's your nickel. But if you'd rather spend an extra couple hundred dollars on your vacation instead, do your research and book on your own.

It is not about personal attacks against travel agents, but helping those who want to save money and travel to WDW figure out how to do it as often as they want. In this day and age, if you can go to the parks every year, you're either a travel agent yourself or someone who learned how to find the best deals through trustworthy, secured means.

The truth is, most packages are a scamming rip-off! Especially when you can't get the cost itemized. Just count those who travel often to the parks and buy packages instead of booking on their own. That should be a guideline. Once you learn how to get around, you avoid packages. Trust me, if they were the best economical options, everyone would be buying and recommending them instead.

Wanda

Since I didn't know about tax/tip/drink I did not include that in the cost estimation - and for my dates the best rate IS $59 a night (without AP which would not work best in this particular instance for MY family). I STILL saved $20 - I can respect that you have been burned - but please don't discourage people from checking for themselves - I will admit 9/10 times it will be more - but that one time (In my case I saved $20) And I DIDN'T include the $6 for the pin in my cost estimation! I'll admit if someone asked me about Disney vacations I wouldn't rave about packages - they usually do cost more. But at least check out your options. In MY case which I clearly stated, it did come out less for the EXACT same thing - now if you wanted regular park hoppers maybe not - but in MY case we like to be able to go to DisneyQuest and Pleasure Island every day/night if we want - we would buy the Ultimate Hoppers with or without the package. I work a part-time job in adition to my full-time job and my Disney money is important to me - I've went 3 times in the last 3 years and I want to continue to go yearly so I watch every dime. I go for the best value for what I want - (by the way did you notice airfare anywhere in my estimation? I didn't - let me think - oh yeah I used Priceline for that part because with the package it was ridiculous!!)

Back to my original post - Do your research and find what works best for you - and read these boards. They save me a ton! Would I start with a package - Uh uh no way!! But am I dumb enough not to get it when it actually saves me money this time - NO WAY!

Wanda-
Thank you for the info on the flex feature breakfast - we're not big breakfast eaters so hopefully it won't too bad. Is your flex feature on your room key? And do you happen to recall which character breakfasts you can choose from?

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter