Travel Channel > Ship Construction Method

mshinrockford

Mouseketeer
Anyone else a bit unnerved after learning that the MAGIC and WONDER were built as two completely separate halves (split halfway between the bow and stern), then welded together at the final assembly shipyard? All I can say is, I hope those Italian welders were well-trained and well-paid!

They told us about that during Bingo on the Wonder. I guess it works, b/c it hasn't come apart yet!;)

We watched last night and during that part, DH said Navy subs are built the same way. I thought it was pretty cool!!

Was the Wonder built this way, too? I was under the impression that it was only the Magic, and then only to expedite the construction. Anyone know for sure?

And no, this doesn't bother me. Both halves of the hull (no pun intended) were once several hundred sheets of steel which were also welded together. The only difference is the order in which they were attached to each other.

I believe it was only the Magic that was constructed in two parts, as Senor Ferrari said, due to time constraints.

My Dad has a DVD on the making of the Voyager of the Seas. Same thing. Also, all the aircraft carriers in the USN are being built in the same fashion.

Nearly all ships of any substantial size since WWI are modular built. Size and economics dictate (less expensive to have sub-contractors, multiple smaller yards, and automation [read robots to do much of the basic cutting and welding], and of course time constraints). Read about some of the Liberty ships built during WWII, some wer built literally in a few DAYS!

A modular-built ship has to be constructed more accurately too (modules have to fit with very tight tolerances). Because of this, they are safer, and can be refitted / upgraded easier.

If you want to think about something "interesting", inquire how much the ship "flexes" in high sea states. The Bridge crew will be able to tell you this, as they (or engineering) will have strain gauges to measure it. You will be assured to find that the ship is deliberately made flexible, to absorb stress/strain associated with rough seas. If not, the ship would break-up rather easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter