Travel insurance question

Bmill

Earning My Ears
Good evening all!
This summer my wife and I are taking our first ever cruise this June! 3 nights on independence of the seas. Right now we are discussing the need for travel insurance.
We travel to WDW or central Florida often and never purchase. We aren’t super concerned with cancellations and such but more the medical emergency aspect of things. With stops at Nassau and perfect day should we still look ar purchasing or just roll with it like our normal trips? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

We always get insurance. We have been using Allianz. They have various plans you can select.

It's great that you and your wife are taking a cruise this summer! While travel insurance is not required, it can provide peace of mind and financial protection in case of unexpected events such as a medical emergency, trip cancellations, or trip interruptions.
Cruise travel insurance can be a wise investment, especially if you're traveling to destinations with limited medical facilities, such as Nassau and Perfect Day. In case of a medical emergency, you may need to be evacuated to a hospital, which can be very expensive without insurance coverage.
Additionally, cruise travel insurance can also provide coverage for other unexpected events such as trip cancellations, trip interruptions, and lost or damaged luggage.
Given the unpredictable nature of travel, especially during the pandemic, travel insurance can offer peace of mind and help you manage the costs of unexpected events.
It's recommended to compare different travel insurance options and carefully read the policy details to understand what is covered and what is excluded. Consider factors such as the cost of coverage, the coverage limits, and the types of benefits included, and choose the option that provides the most comprehensive coverage for your needs and budget.
In conclusion, while travel insurance is not required for your cruise, it's a good idea to consider purchasing it for medical protection and peace of mind during your travels.

This summer my wife and I are taking our first ever cruise this June! 3 nights on independence of the seas. Right now we are discussing the need for travel insurance.
We travel to WDW or central Florida often and never purchase. We aren’t super concerned with cancellations and such but more the medical emergency aspect of things. With stops at Nassau and perfect day should we still look ar purchasing or just roll with it like our normal trips? Any advice is appreciated

If you have a medical emergency while travelling to WDW or Florida, you go to a clinic or ER (depending on the seriousness of your issue), and more than likely your normal medical insurance will cover you.

However, when you're in another country, or on a ship, your normal medical insurance probably WON'T cover you, especially if there's an issue where you need to be evacuated off the ship or fly back from Nassau.

I would strongly recommend getting insurance, but don't get it from the cruise line. There are plenty of 3rd party insurers out there where you can customize what's covered and to what limit.

I agree. I got sick on a Mediterranean cruise some years ago. I was almost evacuated to Spain but recovered before anything drastic happened. My travel insurance would have covered that if it took place.

The web sites Squaremouth and Insure My Trip both have lots of travel policies and there are knowledgeable agents you can call with a 1-800 number who can help you select a policy and answer questions. I've been super happy with the excellent agents when I've contacted them. I'm not cruising this year, but am doing a trip to Europe (two countries) and always get travel insurance if I am going on cruise or going to be out of the country, especially for Medical and Medical Evacuation. Sometimes I've only gotten medical and medical evacuation coverage and have bought this thru GeoBlue. This time I got a comprehensive policy for other types of coverage on top of that too -- part of that is due to the expensive premium economy airline tickets I purchased (expensive for me anyway as I usually stick closer to home for vacation -- rare overseas trip for me). This year I used SquareMouth and purchased a policy from HTH Travel Insurance called TripPortector Insured. It was interesting to me (medical insurance focus) that HTH partners with GeoBlue for the medical insurance and trip evacuation part -- the part that could bankrupt me if I didn't have coverage and that I wanted to have especially strong coverage for.

Insurance is offered thru cruise lines too. From reading I did, I thought though that the limits and coverage weren't as strong as I wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter