traveling with wedding dress

marn913

Disney Bride
I just purchased my wedding dress (very exciting) -- my next question is what is the easiest way to get it to Florida for my wedding? My cousin got married in Florida two years ago and said that they were given a hard time bringing it on the plane, even though the airline said it would be o.k. After 9/11 I have reservations about bringing any carry-on items with all of the security and I don't want to have to pull out the dress in front of my FH! I have also considered shipping it or checking it in a suitcase. Does anyone have any advice? I've never had a bag lost at the airport - but I don't want this to be the first time. Any suggestions/stories would be helpful.

Congratulations! I just married two months ago today and had the same dilemma. I flew from California to Florida on Southwest Airlines with no problems.

I kept my dress in the bridal shop bag and then placed it in a large plastic zipper bag that once held a king size comforter. It was nice and compact...fit in the overhead compartment with no problems. Dressed came out perfect...

I did instruct my fiance that if I were to get searched, he would have to leave the area. What is funny is that I went through security fine and his bag got searched!

Good luck and don't stress too much!

Mary

I travelled from the UK to Florida with my dress in a suitcase. When we arrived I had my dress steamed.

Kaylee

Hi Marn-

Congratualtions on your upcoming wedding! I am a former bridal shop manager, and I'll give you the same advice I gave to all of my brides who were travelling with their gowns:

Call the airline ahead of time and let them know that you'll be bringing you're wedding gown aboard. Generally, they'll clear out a closet for your gown.

As far as security is concerned, send your fiance through either very far ahead, or very far behind. Ask to have the gown wanded as opposed to x-rayed (you don't want the bag stuck in the machinery of a conveyor belt). If security feels that they need to open the dress bag, politely ask that they put on rubber gloves to handle your gown. There would be no reason for them to take it completely out of the dress bag, and if you feel that your gown won't be treated properly, call for the security manager.

Call ahead and arrange a professional steaming of your gown. When you have picked your gown up from steaming, immediately remove the gown from the bag and hang it on a picture or high rod so that the hem doesn't touch the floor. If you have a train, make sure that you fan the train so that it does not become wrinkled.

Final tip.... don't let anyone near you who has already applied lipstick while you are dressing!!!!

HAve a wonderful wedding!!!

Erin :D

Check with your bridal shop for suggestions specific to you gown... Disney arranged for someone to come to my room and steam my gown the night before the wedding. I would make sure you talk to the security folks about what is in the bag. Most of the time you'll find peopke who will work with you, includin the flight crew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter