Travelling from Orlando to Tampa to watch NHL?

OP95

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
Apologies if this post is not allowed. However i Am travelling from the uk to Orlando in a couple of months and have always wanted to watch an NHL game being a fan of the penguins, I have noticed that Tampa are playing the Blackhawks whilst I am over there. I just wanted to know if it would be worth getting the Amtrak train to travel down to watch them? Or just to visit the stadium in general? Is it quite easy to get there via the train or would it be a bit of a waste?

Any advice would be appreciated !

Fellow Pens fan here! There is only one train a day that goes to Tampa so it would require an overnight stay in Tampa to get the train back if you want to go to the game. Any chance you could rent a car? That would be much easier. There are also Greyhound buses that do several trips a day. Rome2rio website is very helpful with all the transportation options.

Another option, if they are in town, is to go to a Panthers game. There is a high speed Brightline train that goes from Orlando to Miami. It stops in Fort Lauderdale. Several trains a day. It is a 20 minute drive from the train station to the arena.

Another option, if they are in town, is to go to a Panthers game. There is a high speed Brightline train that goes from Orlando to Miami. It stops in Fort Lauderdale. Several trains a day. It is a 20 minute drive from the train station to the arena.
Thanks for the reply nice to meet annother pens fan. after posting this I unfortunately noticed the Amtrak only runs once per day so as you said may be an overnight stay. Would dread to think how much an Uber would cost.. I forgot about the panthers so will have a look!

Hi everyone,
Apologies if this post is not allowed. However i Am travelling from the uk to Orlando in a couple of months and have always wanted to watch an NHL game being a fan of the penguins, I have noticed that Tampa are playing the Blackhawks whilst I am over there. I just wanted to know if it would be worth getting the Amtrak train to travel down to watch them? Or just to visit the stadium in general? Is it quite easy to get there via the train or would it be a bit of a waste?

Hi everyone,

Are you hiring a car ? IF YES then you should drive to Tampa on

Hwy I 4 ( 2 hour drive each way ) NO IDEA OF where the stadium is

Hi everyone,

There is a minor league hockey team in Orlando called the Solar Bears that plays at Amway Center.
While not the NHL, it's still professional hockey and fun to watch in person.
Perhaps they will be playing at home during your visit. They don't have a schedule out yet, but the season starts in October.

I'd consider renting a car for the day, or even taking an Uber. Uber estimate isn't too bad and you can avoid parking fees and extra travel time.

The drive itself is almost all highway and we often make it in an hour. Just depends on the time of day. Going back after a game should be easy peasy (we much prefer driving back/forth to Disney late at night!). If you drive, you'd just need to build in time to park.

On the other hand, for the cost of a car/Uber, it might be worth just doing the train and staying in a hotel in Tampa. There is a ton to do, especially following a game.

If I am right about your dates, the Panthers play the Hurricanes on Nov. 10th. Tickets are very affordable for the game. The train would cost $79 each way. There is a 10:20pm train you could take back to Orlando.

I'd consider renting a car for the day, or even taking an Uber. Uber estimate isn't too bad and you can avoid parking fees and extra travel time.

The drive itself is almost all highway and we often make it in an hour. Just depends on the time of day. Going back after a game should be easy peasy (we much prefer driving back/forth to Disney late at night!). If you drive, you'd just need to build in time to park.

On the other hand, for the cost of a car/Uber, it might be worth just doing the train and staying in a hotel in Tampa. There is a ton to do, especially following a game.
Thanks for the reply having looked at the Uber fare i would be happy to pay for that. My only concern would it be easy to get one after the game due to the crowds and also the distance of the trip? unfortunately I am unable to rent a car.

I have a cousin who doesn't drive who lives in Tampa. I picked him up in Tampa one time, had him spend the night at our condo and most of the next day and had him take the train back with a friend who would pick him up. I Just wanted to say that the train is not always on time. When we waited with him there it was almost an hour late. You need to figure how far the train is from where you want to be in Tampa too. That might involve taking a local uber anyway. Maybe even one to the train and then from the train to your venue. Might as well in that case rent a car or get an uber IMHO for more convenience.

I have also on another trip picked him up in Tampa, had him spend three nights with us in our condo and got him an uber to go back to Tampa. That was way easier but a bit nerve wracking as uber drivers did not want to go all the way to Tampa and the first two declined to pick up the trip even if it is against policy. My cousin was quite nervous about that, but I told him not to worry and if it came to it I would drive him back. I just really didn't want to do all that driving though having already done that a few days earlier. The third uber driver happily took us, and I gave my cousin $40 to give the driver as a tip, knowing it was so far out of the way and wanting to make it worth his while. The uber ride itself was $70 dollars back then from our condo to his apartment. The guy was super nice, and my cousin felt very safe.

If I were to do this trip to Tampa in your shoes, I personally would rent a car or take an uber each way. With the uber if you choose that, make sure you are not a person who will get flustered if you have to try uber more than one time to get a driver, and I would suggest tipping whoever takes you generously.

I also have to say that although I have done it many times, I really HATE the drive from Orlando to Tampa and back. There are lots of crazy people on this route who do a lot of weaving in and out of traffic. In reality though it seems there are more crazy drives on the road everywhere. One time too (bad timing on my part I just think) I left on a Friday around 5 p.m. to get back to Orlando and it took me three hours (without traffic issues would have been an hour and 20 minutes) -- tons of people from Tampa going to Orlando for the weekend. Please note that I don't like drivng in Orlando these days either -- but it could be I'm getting older -- 63 now, it could be that I don't do a lot of heavy traffic driving -- since the pandemic I work from home full time - pre pandemic I had an 18 mile each way every work day commute, and it may be too that there are more crazy people on the road than there used to be). It's probably a factor of all three, but really and truly I used to think driving around Orlando and back and forth to Tampa was easy peasy, but that has changed for me in the last five years.

And several times I took the SeaWorld bus to Busch Gardens for the day and back (free with a Busch Garden ticket with pickup from the SeaWorld parking lot (met my cousin for the day there -- this is back when he could do local driving to Busch Gardens and meet me there -- now he doesn't drive at all). This usually worked really well for me, but one time coming back we ran into a bad accident and the trip took an hour longer than expected. Just saying accidents on this route happen pretty often too, so bring your patience for possible delays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter