Travelling with 13 year old for first time.

Fantasia Girl

Fort Wilderness is my second home :)
My husband and I have no children, we go to Disney every year...alone, or with other adults. Well this December we are going with my brother who is 21, and he had planned to go with his girlfriend, well thats over, so.....we were thinking of taking along our little brother who is 13. I think it would be great, but we are definetly going to Pleasure Island at least one night, and I don't know what we could do with him....any suggestions??

Thanks!

If he has average maturity for a 13 year old, I would say you could let him stay at the hotel and swim. Depending on how long you will be at Pleasure Island, maybe he can go to Disney Quest and take the Disney bus back to your resort (if you're staying on Disney property).

As a mom of a 13 yr old, I would veto the going back to the hotel by himself. I suggest he go to Disney Quest and you leave PI early enough to pick him up. DQ is open to 12. You will need the sleep for the next day at the park anyway.

I'm inclined to veto the home-alone thing at the hotel. Ten years ago I would have thought it to be a good idea, but not in this day-and-age. I don't mean to sound like a mistrustful "The World Is An Evil Place" individual, but when planes crash into buildings, children are abducted, and safety is on the minds of everyone, leaving a 13-year-old by themselves just does not bode well any longer...

:(

My 13 year old daughter stayed at the hotel room at the All Star Music one day when she was just too tired to park hop. I felt completely fine about that, but I'm not sure about night time. The Virgin Megastore is a great place for teens to browse and buy with lots of listening stations. If you are at a WDW resort I think you might consider letting him stay at the hotel. You can pick up any phone in DD and reach your room pretty quickly for a checkup for free.

We let my son go to DQ at 11. We let him go back to the room at 13. At 14 he had the same freedoms at WDW as he did at home. How well do you know the 13 year old? How responsible is he/she. That is how we judge. Good luck.

I am 14 and I have stayed in the room a couple of times with my sister (18). I personally didnt like it because there was nothing to do! I did feel safe though. Maybe while you are down there some other DIS folks will be too, if he became friends with them maybe he could stay with them and go swimming or DTD. Sorry if I didnt help much....good luck!

I have read this thread with interest as we will be going in Feb with our DD who will be almost 14. We've been several times before but now she is a teen she obviously is not happy being just with us all the time (she is an only child). I'm hoping that she will be able to meet up with some Dis teens or other youngsters while we are there to pal up with some evenings...how likely or wise do you think that is?

Angeluk, If she is outgoing enough to introduce herself, your DD might meet someone her own age at the pool that she enjoys conversing with. You'd have to use your own judgement about how much additional time you'd want her to spend with that person. Have you thought about having her invite a friend along? You'd have to decide how much the friend would be responsible for cost-wise, and your DD would have to pick someone you wouldn't mind sharing your vacation with. When my DH was a kid, he was lucky enough to be the "friend" that got invited on his buddy's trips.

yes, it would have been a great idea if a friend could have come with us. Unfortunately, none of Becky's friends are financially able to come with us:( so it will definately just be the three of us. Not sure she will easily chat to others as she can be shy sometimes, so will just have to make it fun for her!:)

Our children are 19 and 16 and we have been taking them to Pleasure Island since the youngest was 13. We have always enjoyed the Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurer's Club as a family. The audience is reminded that the humor is to be family oriented, especially at the early shows. You will have plenty of other clubs to visit without going to BET or Mannequins ( the 2 clubs that require you to be 21). He will enoy the humor and music with you and will be required to be with you for the evening. I would not allow a 13 year old to be alone for the evening anywhere other than his own home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter