Trip for 3 College Students

DisneyGal358

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I have been reading for awhile and I have seen some great tips. I was wondering if you could help me.

Basically I'm a starving college student and I'm going next May/June 30th - 6th with my boyfriend and bestfriend. The tickets are taken care of and the hotel is also but still I need help with budgets. Any tips? I'm looking for everything from getting to the hotel (All Star) to eating to tips on pleasure island (i'm 21) to anything and everything else.

Any help would be great!!

I know I'm planning quite early but what can I say? I love Disney and I'm very excited!!!! :) Thanks guys!:D

Welcome to DIS!!! This is THE place to find the answers to all your questions!!!

A few tips that have helped me keep costs down in the past:
1. Eat breakfast in your room. I like to bring cereal bars that I can grab and run with first thing in the am.
2. I always bring a Brita bottle. Initial cost $7. But it saves buying all those bottles of water at the parks. Just fill with ice from the ice machine in the am and top off with water.
3. If you have a rental car, hit the Disney outlets. You can get some great buys and save yourself a few bucks. (I don't even want to tell you how much I spent last time there!!!)

That's all I can think of right now, but others will have more tips. Also, check out the Budget Board for other great info!!!

Good luck!!! :bounce:

Hi DisneyGal358!!!

While the boards are possibly filled with more family oriented travellers than anything else, I just wanted to let you know there are quite a few of us College Students around!! You should drop by the CB (community board) some time. It is like the "hang out" area of the boards.

Anyways congrats on your upcoming trip...is it your first trip to Disney?

Since you work in a Disney store, I think you might be able to serious control your budget as far as souvenirs go. The less you spend on those the more you have for food/extras.

If you are on a tight budget you might want to think about making the "big" meal of the day lunch. Often the sit down restaurants have very similar menus for lunch as they do for dinner, at considerably lower prices. If sit down meals isn't an option then there are some very nice counter service places in each of the parks.

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/menus.html

That link will take you to a listing of the menus for all the WDW restaurants including in parks/hotels/DTD. It lists menu items and gives you prices. Looking at these and trying to plan a food budget could give you something to do between now and your trip.

There is a lot of different opinions about how you should get from the airport to WDW. I am not sure if you are planning on any excursions off site. If so a rental car might be the best idea. I know you said you are 21 (which sadly makes you have to pay the "extra" fees) but I don't know if either your bf or friend may be over 25 and they could rent it in their name. Otherwise, taking airport van shuttles (as opposed to Limo/town car services) are the cheapest way to go (but they might take longer). Once inside WDW and staying on property, you have the benefit of using WDW transportation for the length of your stay!

Pleasure Island can be a fun place and depending on how often you plan on going during your trip you might want to get an annual pass. If you go 3+ times the PI AP is a much better deal. A definite must there is the Adventurer's Club. It is hilarious. If either your bf or friend is under 21, there are a few clubs they can not go in (Mannequins Dance Palace and the BET SoundStage Club).

OK, if I haven't already overloaded you with stuff....;) you can feel free to PM me if you want any more info from a fellow student's perspective!

If food is not a high priority, you don't even have to do expensive sit-down or character meals. I've been numerous times and always do counter-service. Meals are usually large and can be split-with 3 of you maybe you could split 2 meals. For smaller eaters, there are some kiddie menu items that might appeal as well. I also agree with breakfast in the room. Poptarts, donuts, cereal bars work well. If you get milk/juice, check the store at your resort and not buy from the food court. You'll get more for less $$$.

thanks for all of the great advice!
i have another question... we weren't planning on renting a car bc of staying on site so its between mears or a town car. my question is what is the price difference? is the car a flat rate and mears by the number of people? i haven't been able to figure it out. the stop at a grocery store would really help us get food for the room. also i have read about sending a package to the hotel before you get there with food. would you say this is a good or bad idea? will they mind or have a hard time finding it once we get there?
thanks again guys!;)

The first time we went to Disney, we were going to take Mears. But, the drawback about them is you may sit there for 30-40 minutes waiting for the van to fill with other passengers before taking off. We ended up getting a taxi. It cost us $40 each way for the 4 of us. Mears was going to end up costing, if I remember correctly, about $90something.

Now, you have plenty of time to do something that we've all(my Disney Family) started doing. Save your pocket change and cash it in before you go! We did it for fun the last time we went and, surprisingly, had enough change saved up to rent a LIMO!! We had a blast!! and we didn't miss the money!

I already have over $100 saved for our July '04 cruise. The way we spend it is that it has to be spent on something that we don't normally get to do. Last time, it was the limo. Maybe on our cruise, we'll do some spa treatments or something. It adds fun to the vacation!

Stop on the way if you can and get bottled drinks, snacks, etc. This type of thing is really expensive at Disney. I, personally, don't think the refillable mugs are worth the expense UNLESS you aren't able to bring drinks with you. Also, all of the counter service restaurants will give you free ice water if you want it. You don't have to buy a meal at the same time either.

But, you're smart. You're planning ahead and I don't have to tell you that Disney is expensive! But, by doing just what you're doing, IT CAN BE DONE!!

Hey guys. Say I buy a refillable mug at my hotel - Ican get free refills at that hotel only - correct? Will we get a discounton drinks with this in the parks? BUT If I carry it into the parks can I ask it to be filled with tap water for free - will it be any cooler than the water fountains? What do you think?

The mugs are good for the resort only but there really isn't a need to take it to the park with you. Any of the counter service eateries will give you free ice water for the asking. However, I would and did invest in a Brita filtered water bottle (Wal-Mart $6) as the water in FL is VERY high in sulfer content and many posters here have gotten ill from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter