Trip planned...Guest prego!

Pbuttadad

Mouseketeer
Last year we invited some friends of ours to join us on our trip to Disney in late October. We cover the room with our points, make the reservations, do all the planning and fast passes. It's their first time going. We were and still are pumped... Then we got the news. She's pregnant and due date is two weeks after our trip!
Now here's the question... Do we just wait it out to see if she holds out? (3rd kiddo with history of premature deliveries)
Do we have a back up family that can go on the whim? Or just go on our own and chance the points to go into holding?
She's hardcore and says they are going to Disney! But I would love to get some opinions here.

If she is flying, she won't be allowed on a plane.

While I'm really happy for her, it seems incredibly selfish for them to insist on going when she could create a huge dent in everyone's vacation if she goes into labor the second day of the trip.

I'd see if you can get other guests and tell them "we are really happy for you, but we wouldn't feel right if something were to happen while you were our guests."

Yeah, because you are covering the room with your points, I also think it's really selfish of them to expect you to continue holding that reservation and risk losing all of those points. Especially because in all likelihood she's going to be under orders not to travel, and she definitely won't be allowed on a plane. IDK. Also, if her due date is in late October... she didn't just tell you, right? You've been wrestling with this for a while? It sounds like you really WANT to go with them, which I totally understand. Is there any chance you could you reschedule the trip for after the baby is born?

Yeah, because you are covering the room with your points, I also think it's really selfish of them to expect you to continue holding that reservation and risk losing all of those points. Especially because in all likelihood she's going to be under orders not to travel, and she definitely won't be allowed on a plane. IDK. Also, if her due date is in late October... she didn't just tell you, right? You've been wrestling with this for a while? It sounds like you really WANT to go with them, which I totally understand. Is there any chance you could you reschedule the trip for after the baby is born?
We definitely are not flying. But have a nice 10 hour drive that we may break in half for her. We have known for months now. Basically when she found out, Disney trip was the first thing that popped in her head. We really do want to go with them. Just not sure if it will be a magical moment for everyone if she goes into labor in Disney. Also something I forgot to add... She's more comfortable going since my wife is a nurse in labor and delivery.

My best friend found out my niece was expected to arrive literally 2 days after we booked my nephews 2nd birthday trip to Disney. Although she was due before our trip, no one could fathom traveling with a new recovering mother of 2 and a new born and a 2 year old. IMHO, I think it's best if they sit this one out. If you do decide to go ahead, please have her OB make an emergency birth arrangement at a hospital near by, as all the walking will most likely put her into labor. That being said, if you decide to go ahead with the trip, I hope you all have a very magical trip!

We definitely are not flying. But have a nice 10 hour drive that we may break in half for her. We have known for months now. Basically when she found out, Disney trip was the first thing that popped in her head. We really do want to go with them. Just not sure if it will be a magical moment for everyone if she goes into labor in Disney. Also something I forgot to add... She's more comfortable going since my wife is a nurse in labor and delivery.

Oh my gosh that is SO not a fair thing to do to your wife!! Or you!! Geez Louise. I would really see if this trip could be postponed. I appreciate her dedication and how much she wants to go, but this is not the vacation you signed up for--not to mention are literally putting the points down for!! If they weren't guests of yours I think I'd be a little more live-and-let-live about it, but as your guests I think it's really inconsiderate to ask you to put down so much on such a risky vacation. She can't control when the baby will arrive--or if she'll need to be on bed rest at that point! AND at that point you will lose the value of your points. I would really have a frank and loving conversation with them-- I assume they are dear friends--and tell them that you know you'd enjoy the vacation so much more if you did it at another time. Maybe just take this one alone, and reschedule your trip with them for next year. Or just cancel now and rebook right away so they see you mean it. :)

ETA I'm SURE that your wife, as a close friend, would be able to pull off a "hey, listen, I love you but I'd really rather not work on my vacation!" line that would be casual, loving, but really get the point across.

I did the same thing to myself this year. I had a wonder GFV studio booked for our family of 4. Turned out I would be about 37 weeks preggers if were to use this reservation. Husband talked me into going over Labor Day weekend instead. Ha, I just realize the punny-irony in that. With the short notice change I was only able to use our point that expire this year. But the upside to banked point is a bigger trip next year.

My point, can you move the up and still take your friends along this year? Think outside the box to rework your options for maximum fun and point usage.

I am one to say go on these types of threads, but this one I would hav to say that she shouldn't travel. That's so risky with a history of delivèring before her due date. Can you postpone it or move it to sometime after the baby is born?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter