Trip report at end of posting....for HH Resort

pklein09

Winner DVC Trivia Contest April 2006
I don't know why....I keep hearing great things about HH, but I'm just not excited. We're from NJ, and we spend a week in Cape May this past August. It was an okay vacation, but I'm not the kind to sit on the beach all day long. I've been to HH before in 1995 when only the sales kiosk for DVC was there. It was nice, not fantastic, but nice. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so my day (for the most part) is not anxiety-packed. I like to go on vacation and do stuff, which is why I like the parks. There's always something to do within a walk or a bus ride.

If we were headed to WDW, I'd have been packed weeks ago. I can't even get the energy to think about what I need to do in 2 weeks let along actually get it all done!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused: :sad1: :confused: :sad1:

Of course, we only 5 hours or so from Orlando.....

I had similar thoughts about our first trip to HHI. I too am not a "Beach person." I like to go to the beach for a few hours and then I have had my fill. I am more of a get up and do something.

I love Hilton Head. I love bike riding across the island. I love the day trips to Savannah, Beaufort and Charleston. Outlet mall shopping is just a few minutes from the resort. The Dolphin cruises are so cool. Horseback riding on the beach. Although I don't golf, I hear it is a great place if that is something you are into. A little early evening putt putt with my family is always on the schedule. The campfire are really fun for the family. The Kids activities are always appealing to my DS, so we get to have a really nice dinner at least once, just the two of us. We spent a week there last spring and the time just flew by.

I have always preferred the laid back vacations at HH over the parks in Orlando. Give me a beach chair and a pile of books and I'm set for a week! However, I think you can have a fun, active vacation in HH. The bike paths stretch across the entire island...what a great way to sight see. There's fishing charters, parasailing, kyaking around Defuskie Island (sp?), great mini golf...Robin mentioned some wonderful side trips! I really think you'll enjoy HH!

Maybe if you called the resort directly and talked to them there about what's available to you once you get there you could get yourself excited? Book something in advance that you can look forward to every day you're there?

The daily itenerary at the resort is filled w/things to do. Some more exciting than others!
In addition to the sugeestions already mentioned. why don't you try looking at a HHI chamber of commerce website or something similar w/ actitivity ideas. There are plenty of things to do. Don't worry--enjoy. This has become one of my favorite DVC resorts. The fun stuff here can be a bit more old fashioned-bike riding, fishing, boating, swimming, crabbing, mini-golf, etc.-yet plentiful.

Have a great time.

pklein09 said:
I don't know why....I keep hearing great things about HH, but I'm just not excited. If we were headed to WDW, I'd have been packed weeks ago. I can't even get the energy to think about what I need to do in 2 weeks let along actually get it all done!

Of course, we only 5 hours or so from Orlando.....

I went to HH for the first time last month and I *so* identify with the way you feel. This is where I should tell you not to worry and you'll have a fantastic time ....... but I can't, because I thought it was just 'okay' and worth our going for a couple of days but no longer. I do stress that this is for us. I can see that others find lots of things they like to do there.

We did trips to Savannah and Beaufort on the same day, which, as it takes you half and hour just to get off the island, means you would not want to be going off it too often. Charleston is definitely 'do-able' but not by me. Too far - the same half hour journey off the island before the other part of the journey can begin!

All the time I was there, I kept thinking that I was only 5 hours from WDW; so near yet so far.

I would go again, but then I'd go and stay for a few days in Charleston, a few days at HH and then a few days at Savannah - all hopefully before travelling down to WDW ;) .

We weren't unhappy during our stay - quite enjoyed it in fact - because we took books, did some sightseeing and decided we would be lazy, so made it just a different kind of vacation and made the best of it. It's still a vacation after all, and the island is not short of good places to eat. :)

Thanks for all the boosts!!!

I've already contacted the Chamber of Commerce and I have my AAA Tour Books. I'd love to do some of the recreation activities, but all my kids aren't up to that. DD9 hasn't learned to ride a bike yet...she's classified as learning disabled and things just take a while with her. I checked into the horseback riding. There's a place in Sea Pines, but you have to be a teenager to ride. My kids are 5, 7, 8, and 9. We can do a pony ride, though. I'm hoping to do some fishing and maybe some crabbing. I hope the crabs are still running because it's warmer down there. Putt-putt golf is in the running. Neither DH nor I play the real deal. I'll take the windmill everytime! We have a day trip planned for Savannah (DD9 is a Junior in Girl Scouts and Juliet Lowe's house is there) and Charleston. DH and I did Dafuskie Island 10 years ago. It was nice, but I think the kids would be bored. (If you have the chance to go and take the school bus tour, you can order the *BEST* crab cakes at the start of the tour. They're ready for you at the end of the tour. And the tour guide/bus driver was a hoot!!! We talk about him to this day!)

I think I will call the resort and see if they can mail me a tentative activity sheet for the week. I'm most concerned because it's off-season and they'll scale back activities.

I'll post when we get back and let everyone know how it went.

Thanks!!!

--Michelle

Now that I know your kids ages, I think I can help. My DS is 10. He is a very typical, over-active child. He has been going to HH since he was 7. He really loves the resort. The kid's activities at the resort are a blast. The staff go out of thier way to make up for no theme park. Some of his favorite things are painting with dead fish, making s'mores at the campfire, arts and craft time, free movie rentals at the store, going on a pirate treasure hunt over the entire resort, low counjtry stories with B'lou, and the dolphin cruise. He was asking if we could do a full week there after his first trip.

We mostly shopped while we were there.

You might try the online calendar at the Island Packet (local newspaper). Don't remember the address but you could try the obvious. There is interesting cultural stuff going on in the area.

My dd works at the stables in Sea Pines during the summer months. Just want to let you know that the trail rides are for ages 8 and up, as long as a parent is riding with them. You might have fun doing that with the older ones. And here's a possible suggestion for your dd and bike riding: they have "tandem bikes", which is a second bike that hooks onto the back of the first bike. It only has a back wheel, so your dd could ride along. Not sure if her balance is suffencient for this, but it would be worth a try. Ask at the bike place if they'll let her try it first. You can also rent true "bicycles built for two" and also an oversized 3 wheeler (you often see older people riding these). Not sure if Disney rents all these out, but certainly other bike companies on HH do. Definitely give bike riding a shot!

Sometimes the best times are to be had when your expectations aren't too high. I know I'm likely to be disappointed when expecting a lot, but pleasantly surprised when I don't know what to expect. Hope your trip is wonderful! :sunny:

Thanks for the info on the horseback riding and bike riding. We'll see what DD9 is up for when we get down there. She just might surprise us :flower: .

Because I have low expectations, I'll probably be pleasantly surprised. I know I'm headed to a Disney resort, not some rental house at the shore. I'm hoping the kids really like the arts and crafts and that they don't break the bank...things can get expensive when you multiply them times 4! :earseek:

I really have to decide how much food to bring along and how much to buy down there. My idea of vacation is not cooking :teeth: but I know I'll have to do some.

--Michelle

Michelle,

I had to laugh when I read that you are not excited about going to DVC HH!

We just returned from 2 weeks at DVC HH on Sunday evening and my DD said it was her best vacation ever. I'll second that!

I'll post a trip report in the next few days and scan the activity sheet for you--but if it helps-- we have a DD 10 and this is our family's favorite place in the world! We are already counting the days until we can return for another 2 weeks.

Orlando and WDW are awesome, but in our family's opinion, we would now prefer to go to DVC HH!!

The CM's and activities are so much fun! Even in staying for 2 weeks and doing a couple of activities every day we still didn't get to do all the activities.

No time for shopping and tours for us--too much fun to be had at the resort!

Michelle -

When you get back, please let us know what you thought of it. I hope that your concerns are unfounded and that you're pleasantly surprised by what a good time you had.

I've never been to HHI, but I just booked a stay there for May. I don't own points there, so I'm limited to booking at seven months out. I was very glad that I didn't have any problem getting a room.

I'm also not a beach person. An hour or two, and I'm done. Besides the beach, I'm planning day trips to Savannah and Charleston. The outlet shopping sounds nice. I'd also like to try kayaking. When I'm not doing all those things, I always enjoy lounging poolside with a nice book. I don't think I'll lack for things to do, so I hope I'm not unpleasantly surprised.

We just returned from a HH stay. We were there 10-16-05 to 10-19-05 and are already planning a week stay in Sept. 06 or Nov. 06. It is just DH and I and I know that makes a huge difference when there are not munchkins involved. My DH plays golf and he did both full days that we were there. I was a bit anxious about what I would do while he was gone. Shouldn't have worried. I just enjoyed sitting on the porch reading and rocking. Love those rocking chairs! I also enjoy taking pics with my camera and did some walking around the resort snapping away! I did take the HH Island Tour and that was enjoyable on Tuesday. Gave me a better feel for the island and things to plan to do on our next trip. When I get home, I'll try to post again some of the activities going on while we were there.
HH is quiet, clean, and the weather was Chamber of Commerce perfect while we were there! We had a one bedroom villa and it was very spacious.
Please post when you return and let us know what you think.
I'm looking forward to a longer stay next year.

It was nice. As someone at the resort pointed out, it's a resort with the Disney name, not a Disney resort.

It took us 12.5 hours to drive down. We left at 4:30 am and pulled onto the resort island at 5:00 pm. Because WDWNewbie was kind enough to email me the activity sheet from her stay at the resort, we pushed to get there for the magic show at 7:00. B'Lou was great! We ran into Sam to verify the time (because the check-in lady only gave us our keys and a resort map...no activity info or restaurant/shopping/golf guides and she didn't say welcome home...) and we asked Sam where to go fast for dinner. We went to the diner and were back by 6:55 for the show. We told Sam it was DS4 birthday...making him DS5. He passed this info on to B'Lou and B'Lou pulled him up as an assistant. It was a great start to the vacation. Unfortunately, it was short lived.

I was very horomonal, very exhausted, and very stressed from the prior week. The week before we left, I had to bake for school Halloween parties, do a kids birthday party for DD7, bring everything in for said Halloween parties (3 classes worth), Trick-or-Treat with the kids, and do class parties for DD7 and DS5. That took me to Thursday, which is when I attempted to pack. Friday was spent getting the rental van (ours had 84K miles on it and renting one was a better idea). By the time Sunday morning hit, I was a wreck. I normally eat breakfast around 7:00 am. It was close to 9:00 am. We had nothing in the room except dry cereal. We were pushing for the magic show, so no grocery store stop. We just figured we'd eat out the first morning.

We walk over to the Mercantile and DH gets coffee. I figure I'll get tea soon enough, so I pass. We sign the kids up for Goofy Bingo, the boat craft, and the Naturalist talk on butterflies. DH decides we'll walk to the lodge to ask where to walk for breakfast. He neglects to tell me we're walking somewhere as I pester him to just go back and get the van (we were in 2512). Communication was not the best that morning. He finally tells me, as the kids are playing with the pool table, that we're walking over to Shelter Cove to eat. Ok, but could we please get going? On the walk over, the kids are being kids, but Mommy was short on patience. They're jumping off curbing, climbing the walls, throwing stuff in the marina. I was not a happy camper. We fine the Parrot Cove just opening. I order a cup of tea while we look over the menu. She brings a basket full to tea bags over. No "normal" tea. Only herbals. No go...I like my tea like the English, with cream and sugar. At this point, the kids are dancing on my last nerve and I can't get a cup of tea. I left DH with the kids and headed back to the resort. I went to the Mercantile and got a pint of milk (the only size for whole milk) and headed back to the unit. I had a cup of tea (I brought my own tea bags) and a toasted pop-tart. Not exactly what I had in mind for breakfast. I then called Member Services to see what my options were with my points because I was ready to pack up the van and head back to NJ. Member Services is closed on Sunday. I call the DVC person at the front desk. They're not open on Sunday either. I call the front desk and ask about my points if I leave today. I end up speaking with Alisa, who was nice enough on the phone. She tells me that my points will go into a holding account and I have to use them by the end of my use year (June). We can't manage another vacation by then, so I tell her we'll suck it up here (yes, I used those words) for the week. She asked what was wrong, was there anything wrong with the unit. I told her that we stopped by the front desk this morning to request kitchen towels (there were none) and to request a new bottle of shampoo because the one in the master bath very obviously had been used. Other than that, the unit was in good condition. I told her about breakfast, that my blood sugar had dropped and that I was exhausted and it really had not been a good morning. Based on the morning, I could get this type of crap at home (yes, those were my words) why waste a vacation on it. She told me that if we decided to leave on Sunday, we would have to be out by 11:00 (check-out time). I told her we probably wouldn't leave Sunday because it was close to 10:00 and I had no idea where DH and the kids were because I left them at the restaurant. I had to talk to DH first. She said to call her if I had any further questions and that she would send housekeeping over to take care of the towels and shampoo. I thanked her and we hung up.

How's that for the first few hours of daylight on the first day? After DH and the kids got back, I totally broke down. Crying with a bit of screaming mixed in for good measure. That part lasted about 30 minutes. It took a good 2 hours for the redness to leave my face, and at least 2 more days to get past the foul mood. After the crying fit, the housekeeping came to inspect the unit. Melissa is head of housekeeping and apologized for the missing towels and used shampoo. She said she was going to personally clean the entire unit and change the sheets and towels. We told her that wasn't necessary, but she insisted on doing it anyway. She wanted to know when it would be convenient for us to have her in the unit. We told her we were headed out for bingo at 11:00, then lunch, boat painting, and the naturalist. We would probably be back in the unit around 4:00. She told us to call her when we left and she'd clean then. As we were discussing all this, there was another knock on the door. Alisa came down to see how everything was going. That really surprised me. She wanted to know if everything was okay with housekeeping and what we thought our plans were. I told her that the kids were signed up for 3 activities that afternoon and we would most likely be staying. She insisted on paying for the boat craft. We told her that wasn't necessary, but she insisted again. We thanked her and said it was very nice of her.

We went onto the activities for the kids. They had a blast. I still was not having a great day, but my demeanor had improved somewhat. By the campfire, all I wanted to do was sleep. I sat apart from most of the crowd to observe. I ended up sitting next to DH and participating. By Wednesday morning, I was in the rhythm of the resort and enjoyed the rest of the stay.

I thought the staff was exceptional. The nice thing about this resort is that you got to know the staff and they got to know you and your kids. I liked being near the pool. Our unit faced the water slide. Maybe not optimal for most people, but our kids had a great time sitting on the porch talking to the other kids going on the slide. Our kids also had time to make friends with the other kids at the resort. We did quite a few of the activities. B'Lou was great (magic, stories/music, pirate scavenger hunt, Shadow). Gwennith (I spelled that wrong), the naturalist was good (butterflies and muck, Suzanne for astronomy). Connie gave us the behind the Ears tour and did the Good Night reading. Bradford, Sam, Shannon, Pamela, and Kara were the rec people we saw the most. We took advantage of the kids night out. We went to Alexanders and they went to see Chicken Little.

The weather was warm enough for the kids to swim 4 days out of the 6 we were there. DH swam too while I got a chocolate chip cookie, cold milk, and 2 magazines and watched from the sidelines. We went into Savannah on Friday and took a trolley tour.

We decided if we had a choice of a week in Cape May, NJ or HH, we'd choose HH. However, we'd choose the parks anyday over HH. It was nice and I was eventually able to relax. The drawback for us was no restaurant on site. The snackbars were okay, but Tide Me Over and Signals were only open from 11 - 3. The mercantile was open from 8-5. Unfortunately, we're early risers, even on vacation. I don't mind eating breakfast and lunch in the unit, but I'm eating dinner out on vacation. Having to decide where to go and figure out when to eat to be back in time for the evening activities was a pain. Because DH works in Manhattan, we normally eat dinner around 7 pm. We were eating at 5 pm or so to get the activities in. This was very early for us and DH and I found we just weren't hungry. We usually brought half our dinner back to the unit for lunch the next day.

WDWNewbie...I did say hello to B'Lou and Gweneth for you. They both remembered you and your daughter. B'Lou was surprised I knew you and asked how...I told him Disboards and he nodded his head.

Now for DHs experiences (very abbreviated!): he lost his voice on the ride down, had a chest cold, got pink-eye (Dr. up here was nice enough to call Rx in down there), fell in the tub reaching for soap and dislocated his shoulder, slipped again reaching for the soap and bruised his knee. AND he had to deal with me!!! Amazingly, he didn't complain. My DH is a pretty great guy!!!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

--Michelle

PS One thing that I really liked was the pillows. I know, it sounds odd. They were nice and fluffy. I usually sleep on down pillows and these were polyester. I should have asked where they got them because I'd buy them for my bed!

WOW is all i can say! I hope that you will give HH another chance. It does sound like you started to enjoy the vacation towards the end. Just curious as to why someone said it's a resort with a disney name, not a disney resort?

We've been going to DHHI since 1997, for us it is very relaxing and peaceful; we've stayed in that very same building and also loved the location to the pool. I hope your next stay is better for you!

Hi Michelle!

I was JUST thinking about you and came on the Disboards and saw your post.

I was so hoping you would fall in love with HH--it sounds like that didn't quite happen, but perhaps you at least fell 'in like' by the end! :goodvibes

I know what you mean about the dinner thing--we loved all the evening activities too so we were eating earlier than normal to get back in time. After a while we got in the rhythm of this though --but it did take some getting used to.

Glad your kids had a great time and you had good weather. Hopefully your next trip will be even better!!

PS Thanks for passing the greetings on to B'Lou & Gwyneth--our DD just adored them both!!

Since we started going to HH 2 years ago, we have been going every year. It is a much more wholesome vacation in a way than Disney World. We love Gregg Russell's concert at Sea Pines, the beach and the bike trails, plus all the great restaurant selections.

HH grows on us, it gets better each year. We love going to Disney World, but we love even more combining a Disney trip with a HH trip.

PS Funny you should comment on the pillows! I told my DH those are the most comfortable pillows I have ever slept on! I too meant to ask about them. I think I'll contact the resort and ask them.

...the resort is beautiful! The kids had a great time! I thought it was very family oriented and it was very relaxing. I did get in the rhythm, just not soon enough! I was extremely stressed and exhausted when we got there and because I had nothing to concentrate on, I unraveled. It was like hitting a brick wall.

As with WDW, we just started talking to everyone. The nice part is that you kept seeing the same people. The kids kept seeing the same kids at crafts, campfires, and the pool. That was also nice because we parents could sit and supervise and talk.

Donna, I understand why you might be confused with the resort with the Disney name vs a Disney resort. I think it's a subtle difference, but not a bad one. I've been to the Disney resorts in Orlando and I had a preconceived notion in my mind of what to expect. This is a resort with no theme parks attached. The focus of your vacation is different in HH. You really focus on relaxation, not get up, get breakfast, be at the parks before they open, go all day long, etc. The person who said this to me was a guest who has been to HH as well as WDW multiple times.

I also think we would have a much different experience if we went in peak season. There was no shrimp boil, no fireworks, limited hours of the snack bars. I also think it will make a difference when the kids are older and are interested in bike trails and beach combing. DD9, who doesn't ride a bike, wasn't interested in the tandem bike. We never did check into the horse riding. The kids were quite content with the activities the resort offered and swimming.

I think we'll go back, but at a different time of the year and probably not for a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter