Trip Report: My first ever!!

Jade+3

DIS Veteran
The travellers:
Me - Disney and planning addict
DH - 5th trip to the US. Not a Disney fan, but tags along.
DD6 - 3rd trip and Disney addict in the making.
DS5 - As above.
DS2 - 2nd trip, and to date, not an ideal travelling companion!!

Day 1 - Brisbane to LA - Friday 9th September.

We flew Air New Zealand as it was $2,000 cheaper than the other airlines, but meant a quick stop in Auckland. Check-in was quick and painless, compared to our experiences with Qantas and V. The flight to Auckland was uneventful, except for DS2 who on descent into Auckland, decided he wanted to sit by the window, and screamed for ever.

Our stopover in Auckland was for 2 hours. We had to go through security again, which I really cant figure out why, and we encountered the rudest security staff. We grabbed Burger King for dinner, then went to our boarding gate for our flight to LA. There was another security check at the boarding gate. DH's name was on the list for the full search so he got sent off to a screening area on the side. We had time for a quick toilet stop, then it was time to board.

Another uneventful flight, except again for DS2. We gave him the window seat to avoid another meltdown. He soon discovered if he sat on the edge of his seat, the cushion would fall forward and he would fall on the floor. Unfortunately this became a source of great amusement for him, along with opening and closing the tray table. Luckily the seat in front was vacant. Eventually he did fall asleep (without being drugged, though I did have Phenergan and Dimetapp on standby).

This was my first time ordering a gluten free airline meal, and I was pleasantly surprised. DH had meal envy. Unfortunately I do not have any photo's, as my meal arrived the same time as the kids.

If I was to fly Air NZ again, I would make sure I booked on the new aircraft. The seats were hard, the cushions fall off and the armrests do not fully raise.

Customs at LAX was painfully slow. A security guard directed us away from the regular customs line, to a shorter queue. I think it would have been quicker to stay in the regular line.

We caught the bus to Alamo, and DH used our Travel Jigsaw coupon with no problems. I had not read the fine print, and part of our arrangement was that we had to pre-pay for a full tank of fuel and bring it back empty. Not my preferred option, and it cost $100.

We made our way to our hotel, the Radisson at Buena Park. When I booked our airfares, I played around with the holiday packages. It was $300 cheaper to book a holiday package, with one nights accommodation, than it was to buy the airfares outright. The only other hotel that would allow 5 in a room was Howard Johnson, but there was no way I could go to the HoJo and not go to DLR.

Our room was large, with a separate living area and bedroom. The kids went for a swim, even though it was about 18 degrees. Dinner was at In n Out burger (without the bun), which was delicious. Again, no photos, as I was too tired. There was an Albertsons around the corner so we wandered around the supermarket for a while. I know I am crazy, but I love wandering around US supermarkets. Then it was back to our hotel for an early night.

Just a side note to explain my diet, in case there are any coeliac's reading. I have a wheat intolerance, so usually eat gluten free.

Our problem traveller
6256580545_c4e5d1c734.jpg

LA
6256580547_5f70724477.jpg

Radisson Buena Park
6257116000_edccaa19a0.jpg

6256580555_73f386ca98.jpg

6256580553_284d6a9f3f.jpg

The view from our room, with Knotts in the distance.
6256580549_1bbeccaa14.jpg

:thumbsup2 sounds like you had a great start to your trip
:eek: the cushion coming of the seat that would freak me out

Oh a new TR :cool1:

That's interesting about the cheaper airfares with a nights accommodation! I will have a look at that in the future!

I'm glad the special meal on the plane was good. I have had so many of the special meals on Qantas before and they are SO bad that I have given up :rotfl: and just have the regular meal and hope I pick a nut free option!

Looking forward to the rest of your report :goodvibes

Great start, Jade.

And you're not crazy....I love looking at supermarkets anywhere!

Great start, Jade.

And you're not crazy....I love looking at supermarkets anywhere!

So do I, another supermarket lover here! I love looking at the different things and how they differ to home, often wishing we had this or that. I am an organic shopper where I can too, so to go to a Wholefoods supermarket in the US is mind blowing for me, I'm in heaven :lmao: Who am I kidding, I'm in heaven in any kind of shop.

YAY!!! About time :lol: Love the pics and I know you have plenty more to share. I'm looking forward to the rest.

Looking forward to reading your TR - thanks for the tip about reduced airfares with the holiday accommodation.

excited for the trip report.

Also another grocery shop person here as well ... it is interesting

Great start :) Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

Glad to see I am not the only supermarket sticky beak.

Day 2 - LA to Carlsbad - Saturday 10th September

Breakfast was served at the hotel until 10am. We managed to make it to the dining room at 9.45, after a sleep in. The first thing DH noticed was there was no coffee left. We were hoping they would refill the coffee, but no such luck.

The breakfast offerings were a buffet (reasonable by hotel standards), and a cooked breakfast which was bacon, eggs or an omelette. DD and I went and got bacon and eggs, while DH tried to find something DS2 would eat. By now it was close to 10am, so we grabbed some juice and sat down. Right on 10, staff members appeared and removed all the buffet items.

We packed up the car and headed to our next destination, Carlsbad. DS5 is a huge lego fan, and Legoland is the one place he wanted to visit again.

It was hard to drive past this off ramp. It is the first time in my 5 trips to the US that I haven't been to Disneyland.
6271590841_c3ebe72f82.jpg

We hope Thomas made it to his destination.
6272112942_7f3a374b75.jpg

Our home for the next 3 nights, Carlsbad by the Sea.
6272093430_2ea303afd6.jpg

Easily identifiable by the windmill.
6271564167_83a1f3e822.jpg

This balcony door opened onto the gardens.
6272115710_5fcbd9410a.jpg

6271571683_9f4e88b31a.jpg

And look what is directly over the road.
6271569723_4a791d17b2.jpg

The Carlsbad outlets are not as big as others we have visited, but we still managed a couple of bargains.

Ruby's was our lunch destination and became our new favourite family friendly restaurant.
6272095570_aed8cfbce5.jpg

Due to our late breakfast we also had a late lunch. The kids complained while we tried to do some shopping at the Outlets, so we gave up and went back to the hotel for a swim, then jumped into the car to explore the area.

I knew there was a pier in Carlsbad, but could not find it in the GPS. We drove along the coastline for a while but still no pier, though we did see a beautiful sunset. Next on the agenda was another supermarket, this time Ralph's. We did our usual wander around, complaining about how expensive things are at home. We got some banana's for $0.50/lb. The boys got some chicken from the deli, and DH got a huge roll, also from the deli. At home I would have used the self serve checkout, but we have learnt from previous trips to tell the cashier we are visiting and they scan a Ralph's card so we can get the discounts.

On return to the hotel, DD and I headed next door to PF Chang's to get some takeout as Princess in Oz had raved about it in her TR. It did not disappoint, and would easily be the best takeout meal we had the entire trip.

Our car, a Dodge Durango. Got the thumbs up from DH.
6271588527_8650df4fcc.jpg

Sunset, taken from a moving car as we couldn't find anywhere to stop.
6272114268_1d8246aae4.jpg

:thumbsup2 sounds like you had a great start to your trip
:eek: the cushion coming of the seat that would freak me out

In airplanes the cushions come off the seats so they can be used as floatation devices.

Yay! so nice to see how everybody travelled and get updates.

Yay, another TR, very excited!!!!!

How did you book the flights with the accom package? Was it online and how did you find out it was cheaper that way?

Your resort in Carlsbad looks nice.

Oh I went all :faint: when I read about PF Changs! That is my favourite restaurant in the US! Gosh my mouth is watering at the thought! I wish we could have PF Changs in Australia!

Great start to your TR. Your accommodation in Carlsbad looks nice. I am also another that loves perusing the grocery stores in the states, also complaining about the ridiculous prices back home.

Can't wait for more! popcorn::

Another supermarket junkie here too!! :) And for all the same reasons!! I love seeing all the different things for sale that we don't have at home!! :rotfl:
Thanks for sharing your holiday - good reading so far. :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter