Trip Report: SSR July 24 - 30, 2005

Doug7856

DIS Veteran
We're back from our wonderful trip to Walt Disney World! We, my wife and 3½ year old son, stayed at Saratoga Springs in a Studio room.

Disney’s Magical Express
We used the Magical Express which we felt was excellent. We did miss the flexibility of our own car, but this was a “budget” trip as we are putting an addition onto our home — especially missed the ability to buy bottled water at reasonable prices. Our flight arrived at 9:35 am and we were at the resort by 10:30!

Check In
Check in went very smooth. We had a pre-assigned room, but it was not ready. I was offered a room that was ready that met our requests so we took it! We were in room 2236 in Congress Park. We ate an early lunch, checked out the room. Our luggage was delivered to our room before 5 pm —not sure when exactly.

Studio Room 2236
The studio room was nice but we really missed the one bedroom! Not sure we’ll stay in a studio again unless we have to. We agreed that we prefer the studio at OKW due to the size and layout. The view was O.K. — an angled view of Downtown Disney that included the back of Cirque du Soleil and the parking lot for Westside. The walk to the pool was not too bad, but we often used the bus to return after swimming. Everything was in order and we enjoyed the room. Our son stayed on the sleeper sofa which we would open up each evening before we left for the parks so we could just crash when we got back. All in all we liked the room but do prefer a one bedroom!

High Rock Spring
We spent a good bit of time at the theme pool. Our son just loves to swim. All week long he wanted to go down the “big slide”. On Thursday he finally got up the courage to do so and he loved it! He went down over and over again. We purchased the mugs and enjoyed the convenience of the soda fountain right at the pool. We never found the pool to be crowded. We don’t like large crowds at the pool and found High Rock Spring to be just about right. The water was very warm — too warm. I think this is a major problem in Florida due to the summer heat. Donald Duck was missing until about Tuesday when he returned! The fountain was not "interactive" but was flowing constantly.

Congress Park Pool
We spent Tuesday at the Congress Park pool. We enjoyed it and the atmosphere was so nice. Our son strongly preferred the High Rock Spring pool so we spent most of our time there.

Construction
Well, the construction is moving along. I am concerned about the newer sections being added on. They appear to be an extremely long walk to the Carriage House and I can’t see much benefit to staying at either section unless you really want a golf course view. I do hope they add a reason to be located at these location (such as themed pool), but I doubt they will.

The Parks
Wow, we had a wonderful time. Our son really got into the characters this time. He hugged them, danced with them, and got autographs from them. This was a highlight of his trip. For our four park days, we arrived at the parks at opening and spent about two hours before returning to the resort and the pool. We took a good nap and then enjoyed the evening. The weather was generally cooperative. On Monday we did the EMH at the Magic Kingdom and just loved the time there. Our son lasted until 1:15 am. We took Tuesday off as a pool day so he got to sleep in. Friday EMH at the Magic Kingdom were not quite as good, but we enjoyed the time there. The crowds were definitely larger on Friday and it did rain for about an hour.

Block Party
What a great event! We all enjoyed the fun and festivities. It’s hard to believe it was free. We got a nice packet with coupons for food and a DVC flashing pin/magnet. We swapped off so that both my wife and I got the seated massage. Our son enjoyed the cotton candy and the ice cream. They also had pop corn. We played some of the carnival games and our son enjoyed the hula-hoop contest and got a balloon shaped like Goofy and attempted some video games (but he was a bit short LOL). We didn’t win any prized offer, but the event was great.

The End
We came home on Saturday and had an uneventful flight — just the way I like them. This was our third DVC trip and it was great. We are so glad we are a part of the club!

Bear with me I'm new to this board! Does it occur only on one night each week? Is it a different night at each resort, or something just at SP?

Also, you had to take a bus from the pool to your room? How big is this resort? :earseek:

Thanks!!
Lisa

lcborn2run said:
Bear with me I'm new to this board! Does it occur only on one night each week? Is it a different night at each resort, or something just at SP?

The block parties are being held at PI every Tuesday through 8/23.

Also, you had to take a bus from the pool to your room? How big is this resort? :earseek:

From Congress Park the main pool is about a 5-7 minute walk. Not much different than walking to the main pool from most areas of Old Key West or to Stormalong Bay from the Villas at the Beach Club.

You don't HAVE to take a bus to get there--I believe Doug's comment was simply that they chose to take the bus to save themselves a few minutes of walking. All theme park busses make their first stop right outside of the main pool and then proceed to the stop in Congress Park. Hopping on any bus and riding to the CP stop saves about 4-5 minutes of walking.

Sounds like you had a magical vacation! Thanks for sharing!

Donna

Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report! I am heading back to SSR for a long weekend with DH and DS in a couple of weeks!

pinnie

I am sure we will feel the "studio" pinch when we get one again, but it is so wonderful that we can choose this option for "budget" trips for saving points!

Thanks for sharing. I think as with most other doubts about SSR, even the newer construction will have its benefits when its complete and will attract people that desire to stay there, maybe for the quiet, etc. Time will tell!

lcborn2run said:

The Summer Block Party is on Tuesday evenings through August 23rd. Its a wonderful event if you can attend.

Also, you had to take a bus from the pool to your room? How big is this resort?

The resort is large. The Congress Park pool was just steps from our room. The High Rock Spring Pool (the themed pool with water slides) was about a five minute walk. Since the bus stops just outside the High Rock Spring Pool and also stops just outside of our building, we would hop on the bus. You could get any of the buses to any of the parks.

Thanks for the report, Doug! We were there a week before you and DOnald was at the pool for the first day or two and then he disappeared for the rest of our trip. We were actually in that new section (The Paddock). It was a haul to the main pool and Artist's Palette..especially in the heat. The only advantage to that section was that we had the pool mostly to ourselves. We crammed in a studio, too. I prefer the 1 brdms too. I like having that extra space and the washer/dyer. Glad you had a nice trip!

Doug7856 -- Great trip report!

Did you call DVC MS to make the Magical Express arrangements?

Great report. We're booked into SSR for October and enjoyed your reviews.

Thanks for the report. We were there the same time, but at VWL. We had a wonderful vacation. We also had fun at the block party. DS 15 spent most of the time in the arcade. My mom and I laughed and laughed at Miss DVC!! I loved the goofy balloons!!

Glad to hear good things about SSr since we will be there over Thankdgiving!
Karen

CRSNDSNY said:
Doug7856 -- Great trip report!

Did you call DVC MS to make the Magical Express arrangements?

I contacted MS via email from the member web site. It was easy to type up the flight information. They confirmed the DME via email and I received the documents about two weeks prior to departure.

:) Thanks for the report. We were just there last month and really enjoyed our time there. I don't know how we'll be able to go back to a studio either. Probably won't.

Great report, Doug!
Glad you had a good time ''home'' :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter